Author Topic: Performance engine build, what's required?  (Read 8055 times)

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
Performance engine build, what's required?
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:44:02 pm »
To keep things in mind once I get around to rebuild this engine, I just want to know what precautions I need to take to prevent any failure down the road.

Here are my parts from the recent discovery: Wiseco 915cc, RC cam, RC rods, steel alloy retainers, and racing springs.

I already want to replace my rods with newer ones like APE/Carrillo's/etc.

What about the primary chain? Has anyone EVER came across or heard of primary chain failure in the 750's? Don't ask me why, but I sold my Hondamatic crank cause I needed some spare cash and I know these are ideal for a hi-po engines. I really don't intend on racing but I like "getting on" the throttle once in a while. I also intend on getting it dyno'd once it's all together.

I'll swap the retainers for a Ti set and do one of the two options to help retain the cam towers (helicoil or retain from the valve cover)

HD studs, Tsubaki cam chain, M3 tensioner...that's about all I can think of. Anything else to help prevent some sort of engine failure? Thanks

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: Performance engine build, what's required?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 08:03:14 pm »
To keep things in mind once I get around to rebuild this engine, I just want to know what precautions I need to take to prevent any failure down the road.

Here are my parts from the recent discovery: Wiseco 915cc, RC cam, RC rods, steel alloy retainers, and racing springs.

I already want to replace my rods with newer ones like APE/Carrillo's/etc.

What about the primary chain? Has anyone EVER came across or heard of primary chain failure in the 750's? Don't ask me why, but I sold my Hondamatic crank cause I needed some spare cash and I know these are ideal for a hi-po engines. I really don't intend on racing but I like "getting on" the throttle once in a while. I also intend on getting it dyno'd once it's all together.

I'll swap the retainers for a Ti set and do one of the two options to help retain the cam towers (helicoil or retain from the valve cover)

HD studs, Tsubaki cam chain, M3 tensioner...that's about all I can think of. Anything else to help prevent some sort of engine failure? Thanks
Forget that RC stuff....much better parts are available now. Oversize intake valves are required. CR primary chains used to be the answer but good luck finding a set. The stock ones will work OK I've found. I could go on and on but it's late. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 09:30:31 pm »
I think a few on here forget how much RC ENG had to do with putting on the map as far as performance went..

Maybe some of you were still in diapers then , but they probably set more records than anybody, and developed those motors to their true potential..

They got up to 300 hp out of CB 750 engines.. what was everyone else getting out of them??

Pretty easy to slam certain makes of parts, but have you tried them?

Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:04:16 am »
I think a few on here forget how much RC ENG had to do with putting on the map as far as performance went..

Maybe some of you were still in diapers then , but they probably set more records than anybody, and developed those motors to their true potential..

They got up to 300 hp out of CB 750 engines.. what was everyone else getting out of them??

Pretty easy to slam certain makes of parts, but have you tried them?

I have seen and used plenty of RC parts.....a long time ago now because they haven't made bike parts in over 20 years at least. Unlike wine parts don't get better with time. My point is anything out there with RC on it is antique. Springs, valves, retainers, rods, pistons (God....especially pistons) are all better now a days. Nothing against RC but Russ was making that stuff with basically early 70's technology and materials and there weren't very many players in the game. Yosh parts were much better in regard to materials and execution ( because they were being made by Japanese OEM suppliers ie ART pistons etc.) IMO. Also...if you put 50 or 60lbs of boost into a CB engine (or just about any small engine) it's not that hard to make 300HP. Byron was the real force behind most of those records too. You didn't hear to much about RC winning, especially normally aspirated stuff, after Vance and Hines set up shop.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:12:12 am »
Well, V&H..or anybody else.. with all the DOHC motors.. still  took  a lot of years to meet or exceed the top fuel record RC set.(with SOHC Hondas)

For sure V&H was going quickly, but they were using DOHC,s..which obviously are capable of better performance.

There was many players in the game back then. I am not sure what problems you experienced with pistons?? You seem to think highly of ART pistons.. do you think they got used in pro-stock, or non-aspirated applications?

RC was located in the center of  a major hotbed of engine parts manufacturing and had the best technology at his disposal.

They still are in the fuel injector business and doing very well..

There is no doubt certain components like pistons have improved since then... but  cams is a different story.. way less choices than there ever was..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 07:28:13 am »
so far the only RC part that would be left in the bike is the cam. i talked to buzz at dynoman and he said they managed to get ahold of that RC grind and now they're reusing it. the way he made it sound, apparently it's a pretty good cam.

well, all these parts came from an F2/F3. i have yet to find the reason why the PO removed it from the bike. i haven't checked for valve guide wear yet but it's a possibility. figure if this engine was raced it caused an acceleration in guide wear. if aftermarket valve guides nowadays are harder than the stock ones, i'd reuse the head since the valves are already larger then all the other 750's. Then give it a port, polish, and valve job.

it just would've been nice to have an engine with genuine RC parts in it. sure i understand if i want a trouble free engine, it is better to use modern parts over the vintage. if the rods are still good, i'll probably throw them in another engine since they're stronger than stockers. again, i'm not racing it.

as far as primary chains, i've looked EVERYWHERE. i got lucky and come across a chain that was the right length but wrong width, visa versa, yaddi yadda. i was hoping to find a manufacturer that makes stronger chains.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 09:10:03 am »
Well, V&H..or anybody else.. with all the DOHC motors.. still  took  a lot of years to meet or exceed the top fuel record RC set.(with SOHC Hondas)

For sure V&H was going quickly, but they were using DOHC,s..which obviously are capable of better performance.

There was many players in the game back then. I am not sure what problems you experienced with pistons?? You seem to think highly of ART pistons.. do you think they got used in pro-stock, or non-aspirated applications?

RC was located in the center of  a major hotbed of engine parts manufacturing and had the best technology at his disposal.

They still are in the fuel injector business and doing very well..

There is no doubt certain components like pistons have improved since then... but  cams is a different story.. way less choices than there ever was..

Those Arias and Venolis pistons were big, heavy clunky junky things. Junk. You hang that heavy POC with a 15mm pin??? ART might not make Top Fuel pistons but who cares.......you throw them away anyway.They probably have made more pistons for world champion 2 stroke/4 stroke motorcycle teams than any other piston maker. They made Yosh pistons (who had the right idea keeping reciprocating parts as light as possible). ART probably has a collective motorcycle data base the is geometrically larger then anyone making "Top Fuel" pistons or any aftermarket piston maker. They make more pistons in a week than these other companies do in a year. A OEM ZX-10 piston or CR450 pistons is light years ahead of some aluminum slug that melts after 1 run. Like I said......put enough boost in anything and you'll make power. I always thought the "science" in Top Fuel was in the clutch.
  I don't know why you say cam selection is limited....that's just incorrect. Megacycle has a ton of grinds and owns KH grinds and Norris. They will hardweld any grind you want. Dynoman has the RC grinds and Web has their own. That probably adds up to 30 grinds or so.
  RC had the best available technology....yeah..30 years ago. :D
  I had RC clean and flow my Hayabusa injectors....I know what they do.  Hey.....maybe I can collaborate with Russ and convert my busa to a SOHC design with pushrods, Webers and Top Fuel pistons? ::)

NWrider

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 09:28:02 am »
Regarding the primary chain. I would tend to think there are suppliers of metric automotive chains who could make up a chain to this spec? I did a real quick search on chain manufacturers and suppliers and got a number of hits.  Since I'm relatively new to the group and haven't researched this topic; am I off base with this thought? Once a supplier has made one it could open up another resource to everyone.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:09:48 pm »
So Mike, are you saying you are running ART pistons in your motor? And that they make 900 or bigger pistons for SOHC 750,s?

Then could you please enlighten us and perhaps give us the weight of any of them?

I weighed a few forged ones today, we could do a comparison..

There may be a bigger choice of cam grinds than I was aware of, but there are less offering them.. so which ones are the new technology superior ones??.. seems like a lot of them are like.. wel like 30 year old ones.... who knows..

dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline City Boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 05:56:49 am »
Speaking from my own experience with RC components,they are anything but junk!My self built 1000 Cobra/CR motor has given me thousands of miles of street and road racing fun.Old parts that were built good way back that aren't worn out are still good parts.I would imagine the RC boys had forgotten more about 750's than most of us will ever know!!    Rock On
'52 Kiekhaefer Mercury Rocket Hurricane KG4H
'70 750/RC 1000 Original Owner
'83 1100F

Offline scondon

• No way my run was THAT slow, must be an
  • Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 09:09:33 am »
What kind of valve springs did they use in those RC's? I've found that the inner and outer spring are separated by a third "flat" springy thing I haven't seen before.

rbmgf7, I haven't heard of the primary chains failing either, but the primary tensioner might be losing its "spring" and the rubber roller is certainly suspect after all this time.

Tensioner is a whopping $65+ and chains are short of $100. I take cues from the engine as to whether I replace just the tensioner or get new chains as well.
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:16:53 am »
What kind of valve springs did they use in those RC's? I've found that the inner and outer spring are separated by a third "flat" springy thing I haven't seen before.
That's a flat wound damper.....car stuff. A well designed dual spring setup doesn't need one of those.

Offline scondon

• Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 10:36:59 am »
That's a flat wound damper.....car stuff. A well designed dual spring setup doesn't need one of those.

Doing this engine for someone else so everything "not broken" is going back in. Both tappet adjusters fell of #4 and the kicker froze up, seems to have happened in the first 2000miles as everything is super clean. Can't wait to test ride it ;) ;D
Give me..a frame to build a bike on, and my imagination will build upon that frame

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 11:15:34 am »
So Mike, are you saying you are running ART pistons in your motor? And that they make 900 or bigger pistons for SOHC 750,s?

Then could you please enlighten us and perhaps give us the weight of any of them?

I weighed a few forged ones today, we could do a comparison..

There may be a bigger choice of cam grinds than I was aware of, but there are less offering them.. so which ones are the new technology superior ones??.. seems like a lot of them are like.. well like 30 year old ones.... who knows..

ART doesn't offer aftermarket pistons EXCEPT those used in Yoshimura, HRC and other factory race kits. I think they are busy enough with OEM R/D and MotoGp etc to leave small batch aftermarket pistons to other, smaller vendors. I did once have Yosh pistons (and OEM) in my engine so I guess I did use them. Obviously you don't think much of ART pistons though they I'd guess they have more accumulated race and street miles on them then any other bike piston. Like I said before....look at a modern piston from a ZX-10, CBR1000, R1.....tell me they are a poor design and or have poor quality machining. Also keep in mind they make thousands upon thousands of those pistons and still maintain great tolerances. They know how to make a great piston even in OEM street application.
  If you think those old Venolia and Arias, with those huge rings, non tapered cement filled wrist pins, huge, fat skirts, no detonation grooves, big oil retention grooves cut in the skirt are better....well...I don't know what to say. At least Yosh had the right idea back in the day with light pistons and nice, light tapered pins. Their springs and retainers were better made too.
  Cosworth made a very, very nice aftermarket piston with a really nice pin. Unfortunately a majority of bike owners wouldn't pry open their wallets to spend the extra dough on a superior product so Cosworth discontinued their bike line. Hey....why spend 600.00 dollars on a set of real nice pistons/pins/rings when I can get clunky Wiseco's for 300.00. That was...and more often than not now, the mentality.
  You asked about new and superior products for the CB. Well considering it's old as dirt I don't know why anyone would even pursue it BUT people have. When you build your next engine purchase Kibblewhite's 5mm valve conversion kit, a real adjustable cam sprocket (not that useless RC piece) and the KA cam chain tensioner. Now the 5mm kit might give you a financial stroke but if you are a serious playa...... :D
  As for cams who care who grinds them as long as all the grinds are available. As Jay pointed out....one company supplied billets. Hard welding, while not new' is a superior product to iron billet cams. Christ how many more than 30 grinds do you need for this engine anyway?? I'd be more interested in cams with different lobe seperations rather than different lift/duration combonations at this point.
  I'll take pics with the weights of stock K, F, F2 pistons. I'll also take pics with weights of a new Wiseco 836 piston and pin and an old clunky Action Fours (or something) 836 piston and straight wall pin. I'll even take a pic with the weight of an old Arias 71mm piston.
  Finally....keep in mind old is old stuff is old stuff. RC stuff was OK in the 70's but compared to modern pieces in genrally falls short. This is particularly true of pistons/pins, springs, valves (especially since you can get 5mm stem pieces), cam sprockets, can chain tensioners etc. If you want to live in the past and reminisce how that Cobra CB made 100HP (not on a good day) and would blow the doors off anything that rolled you are welcome to do so but don't expect me to believe it. I wasn't in diapers.

PS....if you want to buy a real nice pin call Kelly Roberts at Racing Engine Components. They will make anything (just don't tell him you only have 50.00 to spend). ;)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 11:18:54 am by MRieck »

Offline rbmgf7

• 2>4
  • Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 11:57:18 am »
wow, i think i just started something...lol  :P

well, to redeem myself, i think i may have scored another hondamatic crank about an hour away from me. this time i'll hold onto it for when i come around to building this hi-po engine.

if you buy a bunch of small stuff through yamiya, their primary chains are cheaper than anywhere here in america. it's the shipping that kills me. they have the best deal on DID rims but it was an extra $160 in shippping.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 12:25:37 pm »

well, to redeem myself, i think i may have scored another hondamatic crank about an hour away from me. this time i'll hold onto it for when i come around to building this hi-po engine.

if you buy a bunch of small stuff through yamiya, their primary chains are cheaper than anywhere here in america. it's the shipping that kills me. they have the best deal on DID rims but it was an extra $160 in shippping.
M3 used those A cranks. The tensioner is the interesting part.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 12:49:30 pm »

Ahh Mike - the master of understatement  ;D
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 07:19:26 pm »

Ahh Mike - the master of understatement  ;D
....only on rare occasions LMP. ;)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 08:52:57 pm »
Seems we have a  fan of ART pistons on here ;)

But if they are not making big-bore pistons for CB 750 then it is not helping us on here..

Funny how  someone can be so worried about the weight of everyone elses parts, but I do have tapered wristpins..BTW..
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 09:10:54 pm »

In 10 words or less, what's the benefit of the "A" crank? News to me but I certainly don't know everything. Quite a bit less. TIA
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline scondon

• Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 09:38:00 pm »

In 10 words or less, what's the benefit of the "A" crank? News to me but I certainly don't know everything. Quite a bit less. TIA

hypo-chain?  hi-po-chain? Guessing it's got that double wide chain thingy?

(this ten words or less thing is tough, do hyphenated  words count as one?:P ;) :D )

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 10:14:59 pm »

(this ten words or less thing is tough, do hyphenated  words count as one?:P ;) :D )
I think what RBM was referring to when he said "hy-po" was high performance horsepower.  If one changes the chain on the crank, one would need to change the sprocket on the clutch as well. And since the "A" was an automatic, I don't think that's where they were going.

I'm assuming its just a tougher crank, but I'd like specifics.

And the 10 words or less is just a guideline, kinda like the yellow lines they paint on the street.  :)
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline scondon

• Old Timer
  • Mmmm......tasty bugs
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 12:00:25 am »
 Think the word I was looking for was HI-VO and was thinking this because of the "interesting" tensioner remark. Cam chain, not primary. Just guessing until someone posts the answer ;) :)

What this thread is missing is more links and pics ;D

http://www.dansmc.com/camchain.htm

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 12:41:04 am »

I think what RBM was referring to when he said "hy-po" was high performance horsepower.  If one changes the chain on the crank, one would need to change the sprocket on the clutch as well. And since the "A" was an automatic, I don't think that's where they were going.

I'm assuming its just a tougher crank, but I'd like specifics.

And the 10 words or less is just a guideline, kinda like the yellow lines they paint on the street.  :)

i think he was referring to "high performance" when rb said "hi-po," but the cb750A does in fact have a hy-po style cam (and primary?) chain, which is something altogether different.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 12:55:48 am »
i think he was referring to "high performance" when rb said "hi-po," but the cb750A does in fact have a hy-po style cam (and primary?) chain, which is something altogether different.

It's HY-VO chain. The A crank has a hy-vo primary but standard camchain - the DOHC has both in hy-vo format. Check out the thread Ultimate Engine and you can see pics of my DOHC crank conversion to fit in a SOHC motor...
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE