Author Topic: Dumbest thing that I've done in a while  (Read 8227 times)

Offline gregk

• Hot Shot
Dumbest thing that I've done in a while
« on: August 14, 2008, 09:29:26 am »

Last weekend there was a Mopar Meet in town and I decided to ride over on my 400F to check it out.  Got geared up and as it was sunny and hot, took my ball cap along with me. I didn't have a convenient place for the cap so i opened the seat up and jammed it under and closed everything up.  About 1 block away the bike starts to run rough and won't rev over about 2000 rpm?  I have recently been through the entire bike and knew that it was in good tune.  Pulled over to the gas station as I thought I was out of gas.  No, the tank is full. I sat at the station wondering what could be wrong and then realized that the ball cap was on top of the air intake. Apparently, these bikes need air to run.       Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

Greg
I don't want it to go like a motorcycle, I want it to go like a rocket!

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: Dumbest thing that I've done in a while
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:57:46 am »
Oh I hear ya......

Saturday I finished my 400 build.....

Had everything on but the seat.

Thought I would fire it up and see how it all went before I put the seat on.

SO I fire it up....everything sounds good, checks out, and no leaks.

So I figure I'll push it out of the Airconditioned shop and run it up and down the ramp area see how it goes then reinstall the seat.

So I fire it up...open the door...jump on and make it about 3 ft before it boggs down and dies....hop off fire it back up...everything is fine....jump on...bogs and dies....

I repeat this about three times....

Then I realize my FAT ASS is blocking the snorkle..... ::)
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Cvillechopper

• Is just pretending to be an
  • Expert
  • If not for my failures I'd never know my limits
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 01:28:01 pm »
Oh I hear ya......

Saturday I finished my 400 build.....

Had everything on but the seat.

Thought I would fire it up and see how it all went before I put the seat on.

SO I fire it up....everything sounds good, checks out, and no leaks.

So I figure I'll push it out of the Airconditioned shop and run it up and down the ramp area see how it goes then reinstall the seat.

So I fire it up...open the door...jump on and make it about 3 ft before it boggs down and dies....hop off fire it back up...everything is fine....jump on...bogs and dies....

I repeat this about three times....

Then I realize my FAT ASS is blocking the snorkle..... ::)

LMAO!!!  I did the exact same thing on the 550 rebuild.  Took the better part of an hour to figure it out.  I'm a little slow at times...
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.  Aristotle

fuzzybutt

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:14:06 am »
finished building the 750k for the first time back in 05' hopped on, fired right up on the first kick, put it  into first and rode down the driveway, had to stop to look to see if any cars were coming and i had forgotten the damn brake stay bolt. twisted a brake rod all to hell and bent the lever on the drum.

Offline gregk

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:48:21 am »
fuzzy

now I feel better

Greg
I don't want it to go like a motorcycle, I want it to go like a rocket!

hondatroy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 05:48:50 pm »
my momma said DRUGS AND ALCHAHOL!!!! ARE BBAAAAAD! TROY

Offline ranger

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 06:18:55 am »
Haha thats a good one. I had a ktm 640 that id just finished rebuilding the water pump on, i was excited to ride after 3 weeks of work. Slapped the seat on and took off down the road at 9pm. About 2 miles later it died. 15 minutes later i realized i forgot to put the clamp on the end of the fuel line so it came off (in my defense it was dark lol) so i stuck it back on and was riding home and decided to pop a wheelie. I did, and when i stood up my seat took off behind me....i forgot to put the bolt in it to hold it in place. Scared the crap out of me haha.

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 05:28:28 am »
Spent half a day chasing a loose tappet on a 550 that disappeared when i nipped up the exhaust header to head joints.
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!