Author Topic: ..and the build begins...73 cb350 twin Cafe  (Read 17689 times)

Offline Artfrombama

• Card-carrying, board certified
  • Hot Shot
  • CB750 K2
Re: ..and the build begins...73 cb350 twin Cafe
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 08:54:50 pm »
UHM...McMaster Carr has nice stuff...but they are my competitor. I am also pretty sure we stock all of the right lengths, so not cutting needed.  ;D

I don't think he was actually suggesting McMaster Carr to you as much as his theory- which would save you from buying 5 or 6 boxes of 25 screws. Just do like he said, buy the long ones and cut them to size.  ;)
Wasn't plugging McM, I use them because they're just down the road so whatever I order by 3pm I have the next day.
My point was....Trying to save you a few bucks. ;)

Love the project, keep updating.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:56:45 pm by Artfrombama »
Halfassed machinist
Tinkerer/goof-off/Mr. Fix-it
CB750-2011594 Sunrise Flake Orange
CB750E2441103

Offline Artfrombama

• Card-carrying, board certified
  • Hot Shot
  • CB750 K2
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 09:19:55 pm »

Still looking for color suggestions...

OK, old racing bikes were plain, not flashy pearls, candies, or flake. My idea of a classic vintage Honda racing bike is Honda red, black frame. "wing" decals on the tank.
Oh yeh, and white roundels/gumballs/number plates to hide those breathers. ::)
Halfassed machinist
Tinkerer/goof-off/Mr. Fix-it
CB750-2011594 Sunrise Flake Orange
CB750E2441103

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2008, 06:05:48 am »
UHM...McMaster Carr has nice stuff...but they are my competitor. I am also pretty sure we stock all of the right lengths, so not cutting needed.  ;D

I don't think he was actually suggesting McMaster Carr to you as much as his theory- which would save you from buying 5 or 6 boxes of 25 screws. Just do like he said, buy the long ones and cut them to size.  ;)
Wasn't plugging McM, I use them because they're just down the road so whatever I order by 3pm I have the next day.
My point was....Trying to save you a few bucks. ;)

Love the project, keep updating.

haha...I gotcha! I see your point. I did actually discover for "Employee" purchases, I can order as much or as little as I need of any size. Thats a bonus!

On to color...

I agree with you about the flashy colors, but at the same time, I have the internal struggle to be different than all the classic cafes out there. I LOVE matte black, but do know how many matte black cafes are out there?

My angle is this...There are so many cool colors in the automotive market (with easy to match paint codes) that are dead rip off throw backs to the early 70's.

The burnt orange that so many are using
The metallic limes and yellows

It needs to be "period close" but not stock. Colorful, but not over the top and it still needs to be different!

Is that possible?

Offline bigsherm

• Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 09:07:18 am »
Nice work!

What year and model are the headlight bucket from, and what size is the hole for the gauge in the back?

Thanks,
Sherm

Offline DollarBill

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 10:36:58 am »
YAY!!  A fellow '73 350 Twin owner!  Looking good and those clip-ons are really intriguing to me.  I have drag bars on mine right now but I am really digging the way yours look!
1975 CB750F Project Yellow Jacket - CBR600rr Swinger GSXR 600 Forks
1955 BMW R25/3, 1966 Honda CA160, 1975 CB400f, 1975 CB550, 1976 CB550

Offline Mach-5(50)

• Enthusiast
    • ryan barr photography
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2008, 10:49:49 am »
as far as color is concerned....(if you are still considering opinions)....in the early and mid 70's BMW used a color called "golf" yellow on their 2002's and 3.0's... it is a bright yellow with a greenish hue. maybe like a tennis ball or highlighter. we actually have some rural fire engines around here that are a similar color. i don't want to frighten you with the brightness, so if you want me to send you a photo of my 02 i can. i certainly woulldn't call this color "snotty", but i am having trouble picturing the VW color. most of the yellow VW's i recall are more what i would call "buttery" yellow. or, check this out....  http://www.quintezzence.com/catalog/images/70508.jpg

just my thoughts.

ryan
The more adults I meet, the more I want to help kids.

i used to be drunk and dirty,
now i am clean and sober.

http://www.ryanbarrphotography.com

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2008, 11:06:13 am »

My angle is this...There are so many cool colors in the automotive market (with easy to match paint codes) that are dead rip off throw backs to the early 70's.

It needs to be "period close" but not stock. Colorful, but not over the top and it still needs to be different!

Is that possible?

I couldn't agree with you more about modern spin offs of classic colors. And I think your motivation to be 'colorful, but not over the top' is completely possible besides being a fairly original and good idea. It takes a bit more thought, especially when you want to reflect your personal tastes, but that's why it's not going to be rattle can flat black. As much as I like that too, it's been beaten into the ground and urinated on then given the Italian salute.

I still think a eye catching green, lots to choose from today's autos- try upscale cars, with a deep purple stripe or scallop of some kind again from modern sources. That would suggest a mid 60's to early 70's 'vibe' but I think you could also pull off your goals with proper selection of combining more subtle colors. There's a German Honda Twin (?) in the recent Inspirations Gallery with nice black curved black pipes and a cream tank with copper painted frame that comes to mind. The best inspiration often comes from outside ones usual environment; many designers of auto interiors looked to home interiors for similar reasons!

OK, I'm done. ;D
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2008, 11:07:23 am »
Love the early Bimmers!
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 11:39:16 am »
The bike I described. Not a twin.

1974 CB550K     

Your 1%er name

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2008, 04:35:08 pm »
as far as color is concerned....(if you are still considering opinions)....in the early and mid 70's BMW used a color called "golf" yellow on their 2002's and 3.0's... it is a bright yellow with a greenish hue. maybe like a tennis ball or highlighter. we actually have some rural fire engines around here that are a similar color. i don't want to frighten you with the brightness, so if you want me to send you a photo of my 02 i can. i certainly woulldn't call this color "snotty", but i am having trouble picturing the VW color. most of the yellow VW's i recall are more what i would call "buttery" yellow. or, check this out....  http://www.quintezzence.com/catalog/images/70508.jpg

just my thoughts.

ryan

Ryan,

I just sold a 1973 Golf yellow BMW 2002!

That color is in the back of my mind!

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2008, 04:50:47 pm »
Nice work!

What year and model are the headlight bucket from, and what size is the hole for the gauge in the back?

Thanks,
Sherm

Sherm,

I think the bucket is from a late 60's scrambler. many of the scrambler buckets have that odd shaped speedo hole rather than the round one. I picket up the hole thing (bucket, trim ring, light, horn and speedo) from ebay for like $40.00 or so. I had to get a new chrome trim ring...but that was still available through the dealership!

As far as the speedo, it smaller than the stock cb speedo, but only just.. i'll measure it and get back to you.

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 06:14:41 am »
Update:

BURRRRRR its cold in NE Ohio! My work has slowed a bit, but a few projects are under my belt.

1) I found a 350F tank at a local yard. The inside was pretty nasty, but a 12 hour soak of acid and its as good as new. I'm grafting in a modern CBR gas filler cap and having the kneee impressions pushed in a little bit further.

2) The motor has been pulled and cleaned, primed and repainted. 99% of the hardware has been replaced with clean new matching stuff.

3) I started assembling the parts to swap the modern r6 (yamaha) fork on to the front.

4) I have been begging on every site for a nice condition trim ring for my scrambler headlight bucket...never occurred to me to ask the dealer. SURE ENOUGH, HONDA STILL HAS IT! Also got new throttle cable.

Pics to come along soon....

Offline smokeyandthebandit

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2008, 02:24:59 pm »
Cool project! I'm working on a CB360T cafe racer project myself. I'm not to far from you (Hanoverton, but I work in Akron) maybe when my project's finished we can meet up for a ride. Mine has a set of SRAD GSXR 750 forks and a FZR 600 rear swingarm, wheel, and brake.

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2009, 11:20:52 pm »
Great work on the 350 cafe.

How's the Yamaha R6 fork swap coming along?

Do you still have that speedo available?
I'm looking for the small size for my 550 cafe.

Perhaps we could swap some parts.

Cheers
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline SUELZER

• Active
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 06:41:36 am »
great looking build.

did you ever pick a color?
1976 Honda 550F
1993 Ducati 900ss
1979 Honda 750F

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2009, 09:54:44 am »
great looking build.

did you ever pick a color?

Hey guys! I haven't been checked in a quit some time. The cold Ohio winter had me put most everything on hold for a few months. She's almost done. I'll upload a few pics in a couple hours.

The paint color has not been finalized just yet. I have a few days yet. My body guy is doing some fab work thats not all done...

Such as:
CBR900rr gas filler and cap on my 350F tank
Front fender shortened by 5"s (looks really cool)
A few tweeks on the tail section to accommodate the tail lights I decided on.

Other updates:
Motor stripped and resprayed in hi temp gray
Exhaust sanded and shot high temp black
Hella battery kill switch installed.
Battery relocated under the rear tail
Set# 4 of clip on bars-Still not in love with them.
4g power wire run to starter and ground.
Harness stripped of aged loom and reinsulated
All hardware replaced.
Actually got plates for her!

Final plans:
Single HID h4 headlight

Picked up a 74 cb450 twin. Runs but has a sketchy title. I'm going to snag the disc brake front end from it and swap it to my 350. Strip and part out much of it, but keep the frame, strip and shave it and do some sort of final finish for next year. Tweek. bore and build the 450 motor for next year.

Ditch the factory sets and fab a nice set of tarozzi fold up rear sets in.

Pics up soon!

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2009, 10:28:31 am »
Old tank just resting in place, but makes me feel like I am making SOME progress...

ahhhh...a clean engine with fresh stainless hardware thats NOT stripped out!

Lastly...the fender. a 2" section taken from the front and a 3"section taken from the rear and then the ends were welded back into place so it still has that factory rolled lip.

Offline DollarBill

• Hot Shot
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2009, 08:02:23 pm »
Man, that engine looks brand new!  Nice job!  I really like the black pipes as well.  Keep it up!
1975 CB750F Project Yellow Jacket - CBR600rr Swinger GSXR 600 Forks
1955 BMW R25/3, 1966 Honda CA160, 1975 CB400f, 1975 CB550, 1976 CB550

Offline johnspeck

• Enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 05:11:31 am »
nice work.

just my two cents:  the clip ons should be mounted below the top triple tree.  raising the fork tubes that much will definitely affect your steering.  if you plan on going fast on the highway, you'll notice it.

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 08:56:49 am »
nice work.

just my two cents:  the clip ons should be mounted below the top triple tree.  raising the fork tubes that much will definitely affect your steering.  if you plan on going fast on the highway, you'll notice it.

I agree with you, but its not possible with this set of clip ons unless I want them so low I will interfere with the travel of the fork. This is also why I finally just took the plunge and spent the money on the Tarozzi clip ons that are fully adjustable. Not to mention with that cb450 front end, I have to have 2mm larger to fit the larger fork from 33mm to 35mm.

The mounting plate for those clip ons is pretty shallow, so the front end isn't actually as low as it appears. everything is just finger tight and not set in its actual place.

Thanks for the input boys!

Kev

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 05:58:17 pm »
Welp boys...I was searching for hours online to find a paint that worked for me. I discovered its all been done...so....

Rather than continue with the insanity, I am going to have a high end graphic made that covers the whole tank.......

PLAID!

I wish I could say I'm joking, but its just an ass*!%e enough move to get some attention at Vintage Days at Mid Ohio in July. It will be done professionally and clear coated. My tail and fender will remain a high gloss black.

I figure since its not permanent, Its just a perfect statement to say....well...I'm not just sue yet. red piping added to the seat cover.

Let the bashing opinions begin!

Offline afastman

• new-B on a mission
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 10:22:48 pm »
Rock out with your...

Attention will be had. (insert Dr. Evil laugh here)
creul, nasty, neurotic, paranoid, antisocial...but basically happy

Offline Caferacernoc

• Enthusiast
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 08:53:57 am »
I am loving that idea!

usedtoluvavdub

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 10:04:31 am »
If my memory serves me there was a limited edition Triumph in a plaid, but still less than the number of matte black cafe bikes out there! ;D!

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2009, 01:15:06 pm »
Matte black??  What a new and ingenious idea. 

Why didn't I think of that?

Really, I just painted my dads bike flat black.  I figures he would want blue or something, but he likes my brothers black Harley so he told me that was the color he wanted. 
No offense to any flat black bike owners, I like the look, but it is getting a little played out.
I might experiment with a metallic clear over the flat to see what it does.

Oh, and I like the plaid idea.  I really think it will stand out in a crowd.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson