Author Topic: New cycle battery w/ acid fully charged - Where to get one?  (Read 3225 times)

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
New cycle battery w/ acid fully charged - Where to get one?
« on: August 27, 2008, 06:16:59 pm »
  Okay I am starting to fully appreciate the fact batteries are available for cars fully charged w/ acid already in them.  The battery I got w/ my bike was dry as a bone and I had to get a new one, and imagine my surprise when I opened up the box and there's a bottle of acid in there.  What a pita, how come they don't do it already?
  Do they have to be so loosely vented?  Aren't "sealed" batteries vented in a way as well?  The way I understood it, the chemical reaction of charging/discharging creates gas and this has to be vented, no matter what type of vehicle it's in.
  Reason I ask is my new battery is already dead after barely being used, and I'm pretty sure it was due to my ignorance as to the critical nature of measuring acid to water 50/50.  Heck it wasn't sitting very long and I used it sporadically to troubleshoot my wiring harness.  And I see regularly that the battery is supposed to show about 12.5v fully charged, correct?  Mine never went past 11.5, measured using my mm and I kept it on the trickle charger fairly regularly.
  In sum, does anyone know of batteries that are sold w/ acid and fully charged?  Oh yeah, it's a ripoff the manufacturers do this and still charge a commensurate price with the bigger batteries.

Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline mkramer1121

• Expert
Re: New cycle battery w/ acid fully charged - Where to get one?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:25:34 pm »
Reason MC batteries come dry and car are wet as they are delivered differently.  MC batteries come via UPS, car come via freight.  They can't ship a battery with acid in it as it is a safety hazard.  Reason why AGM can be shipped is that if they crack they don't leak, the acid is absorbed into the mat that is laid on the lead plate.  Easiest way is to call a batteries plus or walmart etc. in your area, pay prior to picking it up, and ask them to fill and charge it prior to picking it up.  When I worked at batteries plus we did this all the time.  Also, the acid that comes with most batteries (in my experience, mainly yuasa, champion and  B & B)  is premixed, you just add it to the top line, let it bubble out, then top it back up.  Make sure all the cells are level prior to charging.  From there on out you just top it up to the top fill line w/ distilled water.

You can buy AGM batteries, but they don't always sell them for our bikes,  You can also buy maintenance free MC batteries, but you still need to fill them.  Its easy as each cell has a premeasured acid pack that you fill it with, but again, I don't think they make them in our sizes.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:27:47 pm by mkramer1121 »

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:27:42 pm »
I have always been a believer in brand names.  I bought an Interstate battery for my KO from my dealer.  I believe it came like most of them, dry.  Then the dealer did the mixing for me.  I have had to many friends buy the L-cheapo ones from Fleet, etc.  Only be to stranded by a dead one.  Again, I am not saying all discount batteries are bad.  Just that I have had my best luck with a quality brand that costs more.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:29:24 pm by Johnie »
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline mkramer1121

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 06:28:49 pm »
I have always been a believer in brand names.  I bought an Interstate battery for my KO from my dealer.  I believe it came like most of them, dry.  Then the dealer did the mixing for me.  I have had to many friends buy the L-cheapo ones from WalMart, Wally World, etc.  Only be to stranded by a dead one.  Again, I am not saying all discount batteries are bad.  Just that I have had my best luck with a quality brand that costs more.

Interstate and walmart (champion) are distributed and manufactured by the same company, GNB...

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:30:06 pm »
Yeah its the dangerous goods (hazmat) regulations.

You didn't mix acid and water when you filled the new battery did you?

If you did you screwed up the specific gravity of your accid...and it will never make proper voltage.
Stranger in a strange land

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 06:30:43 pm »
I have always been a believer in brand names.  I bought an Interstate battery for my KO from my dealer.  I believe it came like most of them, dry.  Then the dealer did the mixing for me.  I have had to many friends buy the L-cheapo ones from WalMart, Wally World, etc.  Only be to stranded by a dead one.  Again, I am not saying all discount batteries are bad.  Just that I have had my best luck with a quality brand that costs more.

Interstate and walmart (champion) are distributed and manufactured by the same company, GNB...

Maybe so, but the quality parts go into the Interstate... ;D And I like the sound of "Interstate" better than the sound of "Champion".
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 06:33:02 pm by Johnie »

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline mkramer1121

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 06:38:59 pm »
Maybe so, but the quality parts go into the Interstate... ;D And I like the sound of "Interstate" better than the sound of "Champion".

::)  ;D

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
I am no longer the smartest man alive
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 07:05:37 pm »

If you did you screwed up the specific gravity of your accid...and it will never make proper voltage.

Yes I did.  Damn.  I guess all those years of hearing that someone just topped up their battery w/ distilled water kinda got mixed with memories of mixing coolant.  God it's amazing I didn't have at least one little flicker back to chemistry class.
   I just realized, I am a jackass.  I wonder if I could pour out the stuff I put in there and buy some more to put in.  Couldn't hurt to check I guess, $4.95 for a packet of acid or 45 for a new battery.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:09:20 pm by fastbroshi »

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 07:06:59 pm »

Yes I did.  Damn.  I just realized, I am a jackass.  God it's amazing I didn't have at least one little flicker back to chemistry class.

Well you could dump out all the old acid and refill it  ;D

But I dunno what you'd do with the acid/water that comes out.

Might work and save ya buying a new one  ;)

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 07:11:26 pm »
Where'd this loser come from anyway, reposting my replies as his own geesh, friggin noob :P  I win.  Seriously thanks for the input.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 07:13:22 pm »
Where'd this loser come from anyway, reposting my replies as his own geesh, friggin noob :P  I win.  Seriously thanks for the input.

Mighty fast with the edit aint ya?  ;)

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 07:15:06 pm »
  Johnie, I just noticed where you're from.  I though Oshkosh was a made up label for kids clothes, I didn't realize it was a real town.  Your 750 is sharp!!  
  I just saw in Classic Motorcyle Mechanics that a guy picked up a primo '74 750 for $3k and won his class at some prestigious event.  We're talking bikes on the lawn here.  I'd hate to be your wife looking at receipts for that thing!

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 07:20:05 pm »

Sorry, I just get in a hurry to post when I see people are online!  I want to get this thing on the road.  I keep getting to the point that I think it's ready, then go for a ride and notice something off.  Like my tires.
  PO put a FRONT Dunlop d404 on the rear, and did the front backwards.  Beware, monkey mechanics everywhere.  So my rear wheel is off right now waiting to be taken somewhere to get it mounted as I have no dedicated tire tools and I'm not scratching or denting my rim.  You should see the difference in width in the two tires, even though they're the same size, 110/90; it's about an inch.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 07:22:36 pm »

Sorry, I just get in a hurry to post when I see people are online!  I want to get this thing on the road.  I keep getting to the point that I think it's ready, then go for a ride and notice something off.  Like my tires.
  PO put a FRONT Dunlop d404 on the rear, and did the front backwards.  Beware, monkey mechanics everywhere.  So my rear wheel is off right now waiting to be taken somewhere to get it mounted as I have no dedicated tire tools and I'm not scratching or denting my rim.  You should see the difference in width in the two tires, even though they're the same size, 110/90; it's about an inch.

Gotta watch them PO's.....they'll kill ya .

Oshkosh is in fact a real town...home to the EAA and hosts the worlds biggest airshow every year.

Say hello to the fine folks at basler for me johnie

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 07:45:49 pm »
There are "Battery Plus" locations in Dallas, Carrollton etc.  http://www.batteriesplus.com/
Got mine there
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 07:52:25 pm »
  Thanks green, but after reading Kghost's posts (hehe that rhymed), I think I'm just a jackass.  I'll be getting some more acid and seeing if that works, if not I'll just go get another one. 
  On a side note, at this rate I don't think I'll be making our little meet in Grapevine on the 21st.  I've yet to take my MC safety course. :'(

Offline tinman25

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 08:21:21 pm »
i was able to get a sealed battery fully charged at the batteries plus by me  for my 750 k1
a lil extra money but  but worth it in my eyes
tom

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 09:17:54 pm »
 Johnie, I just noticed where you're from.  I though Oshkosh was a made up label for kids clothes, I didn't realize it was a real town.  Your 750 is sharp!!  
  I just saw in Classic Motorcyle Mechanics that a guy picked up a primo '74 750 for $3k and won his class at some prestigious event.  We're talking bikes on the lawn here.  I'd hate to be your wife looking at receipts for that thing!

You got it...real town with Oshkosh B' Gosh clothing.  Sorry to say they closed the B' Gosh Mfg. and shipped all the labor overseas.  Just mail order here now I believe.  And like kghost says, anyone with interest in aviation is here for the annual EAA convention in July.  Usually attracts 1 million to this town.
And thank you for the compliment on my winter KO project.  There are more pics in the Sept. Bike of the Month thread.  And you are correct, my wife was checking the bills...I just told her "one time buy, dear."   ;D

Oshkosh, WI  USA

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 10:11:17 pm »
You should know that batteries begin to deteriorate as soon as acid in introduced.  Buying a dry battery and adding acid when it is put into service maximizes it possible service life for you.

If you buy a battery with acid already in it, you should hope that it hasn't been on the dealer shelf very long in that condition, as shelf life reduces service life.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 11:09:10 pm »
Funny this post just came up...I just replaced my battery last week. I got an interstate from work that my boss tried to jack up the price to around $50. I told him my old one came from Kragens like only 2 yrs ago and was around $35 so he matched the price and gave it to me to take home. I had to fill it with electrolite and charge it on my battery tender overnight.The battery I took out that came from Kragens 2yrs earlier....you guessed it.....Champion!!!
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline bradweingartner

• 74 CB 550 x2
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 11:18:33 pm »
Don't people read directions anymore????

lol. Coolant, Acid, it's all the same  ;)

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 11:25:56 pm »

Oshkosh is in fact a real town...home to the EAA and hosts the worlds biggest airshow every year.

Its bigger than the Reno air races???
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline bradweingartner

• 74 CB 550 x2
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 09:14:54 pm »

It's real big yo! The EAA museum is right there too which is a great place if you like everything aviation!

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 09:17:01 pm »

Much bigger...yeah I've been to both.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 11:05:10 am »
   That sounds pretty cool, are there going to be any of the air races there?  I'm thinking of the highly maneuverable planes that go around obstacles, like the Red Bull planes.  Those are really cool to watch.  It's hard to believe those planes move like they do.
   And I'm a Jackass.