Author Topic: CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing  (Read 30538 times)

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
Re: CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2022, 05:34:56 pm »
Yes, the guy with the big grin in the middle would be me.  ;D

If I find anything else interesting with the gearbox I’ll post it.

Offline Ramrod_Racing

« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2022, 01:44:34 pm »
I turned 4th gear into a second neutral on the 650 at Laguna, so I'm expecting to find three very bad dogs in my pan when I drop mine as well (just got the bike home last night from the transporter). Onward and upward!

See you at Barber.

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
CB550 Track Bike Goes Racing
« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2023, 04:59:28 pm »
A long time since my last post.  After Mid-Ohio I sent a set of unmodified gears out for cryogenic treatment and micro polishing.  I am sure the gear that failed at the Mid-Ohio track day did so due to incorrect machining of the undercut engagement dog.  The AHRMA race at Barber 2022 went well.  Finished 5th and 4th in Formula 750 then 3rd and 2nd in Formula 500.  With the bike running great no major changes or service was performed over the winter.

First race in 2023 was New Jersey Motorsports Park with AHRMA.  My oldest (17 years) Grandson and a friend  made their first road trip from Rochester, NY to watch his first road race.  It was great having them at the races.  Formula 750 went well with a 5th and 6th.  Formula 500 was better with two 3rd place finishes.

Formula 750, racing with Dan Sokolich 77z (RD400) and Dan May (BMW R75/5).

Mid-Ohio was a great event this year blessed with outstanding weather.  Raced my usual classes V3 and Formula 500 plus added V6.  One of my biggest competitors over the years is Mark Morrow and his fast RD400.  This year was no different.  A new competitor was Walt Fulton on the Team Obsolete HD XR750.  He and I went back and forth both days in V3.  I was able to just out run him both days for 2nd place behind Morrow.  Got the hole shot in F500 both days, but Morrow ran me down to take the wins with me in 2nd place.  In V6 I was able to take the lead on the first lap both days to finish 1st overall. 

My umbrella girl wife! :-*

I had not been to Mosport for several years and was looking forward to catching up with my VRRA friends.  Also in attendance was Dave Roper on the MV Augusta 500 3 cylinder.  Not in my races, but took the opportunity to stage a photo reflecting the 67 GP where it was Hailwood vs Agostini. 

The VRRA runs heats to set the starting grid for the finals.  Finished 5th in P3 Lightweight and 3rd on P2 Middleweight.  The P3 final didn't go well and I finished 8th.  I made up for it in P2 final.  At the start I was gaped a bit and fell back to 4th place.  Mark Morrow had the lead, but was being hounded by 2nd and 3rd.  As they battled I caught up to them and passed all three on the back straight to lead the race.  Morrow came back around me and we started the last lap nose to tail.  Unfortunately for me we caught a bike from the first wave and Mark put enough distance between us that I was unable to use my top speed to pass him back on the long back straight.  It was a good race and was satisfied with 2nd place.  Best of all was spotting Brent Waller cheering me on from the pit wall!

Battling with Mark Morrow for first place.

There were a couple other Honda's that stood out at Mosport.  Steve Canellos had the fastest CB350 I have ever seen.  He placed first in his race with Roper's 500 MV!

There was also this super quick CB350.  I have misplaced the riders name.  Can anyone help me out?

I wrapped up the season last weekend with AHRMA at Barber.  Formula 750 was the feature "Vintage Cup" this year and all the big guns were there with 25 entries.  Even with my displacement handicap I finished 10th on Saturday and 6th on Sunday.  Formula 500 also had a packed field where I finished 4th both days.  I had a knock down battle with a rider on an RD both days.  On the last lap of the race Sunday I turned my best time of the weekend.  A nice way to cap off the season.

Took advantage of the mobile dyno in the paddock the last two years to check jetting and horsepower.  Here is last years runs, 66 hp with filters and 67 without. Air/fuel was 11:1

And here is this years.  No changes other than jetting the air/fuel to 12:1 the horsepower with filters increased to 70!  Big shout out to Mike Rieck of JMR for his outstanding cylinder head work. 

This winter will be busy as I have an 82 Honda Hawk motor to build and two other 2 stroke racers under construction.  Already looking forward to next years races.  Hope to see you at the track.

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2023, 05:32:00 pm »
Hi Martin, I felt like a fish out of water again when you guys were out putting on a good show at CTMP!

That riders name is Jason Porter and that bike is a CB500t. He also races a CB350 twin as well. Steve Canellos rides his 350F very well and that thing is fast. Those four Wolfe pipe are incredibly loud too.

Do you need any more pistons? I'm thinking I may make an order for more.

Offline Rocketman

• Hot Shot
« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2023, 06:27:46 pm »
Thanks for updating me with Jason Porter’s information. That is a seriously fast CB500!  Always enjoy seeing you at the races. I presently have one spare set of pistons. If you need a partner to make an order let me know. Next year will be the 50th anniversary of my first race and I will turn 70. Still enjoy racing and can maintain a reasonable pace. I should have my TZ125G on the track next year and am building a Kawasaki F9R Bighorn. I know there will come a day when I hang up my leathers. I’ll still be in the shop fettling race bikes. Maybe find some youngster to ride them. In the mean time, hope to see you at the races.

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #155 on: October 26, 2023, 03:42:44 pm »
I don't think I had come across this thread before.  Great reading, beautiful bike, great job.  Thanks for keeping it updated as the bike progresses.  Rich