Author Topic: So Close  (Read 721 times)

Offline dnewman417

So Close
« on: September 11, 2008, 06:19:11 am »
I am so close to being done with the carbs on my 78 550K, but I need one last question answered.  Some background info:  Going for the cafe look ..carbs running with UNI pods, 105 main jets, needle clipped at fourth position from the top, IMS at 1 1/4 turns.  Bike runs great except one carb is overflowing gas.  I pulled the carbs and reset all float heights.  Still, same problem.  What gives?  I haven't synched them up yet,  could it be that the suspect carb/cylinder is not creating enough vacuum and the fuel is just running through the carb?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
Re: So Close
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 06:28:09 am »
I had problems with carbs overflowing, even after I removed the float needle and cleaned it and the seat. If this persists you may want to look at replacing the float needle and seat. Over time the spring that holds it up will weaken. Though I haven't had this problem, also check the overflow tube and make sure there isn't a crack in it. I have seen multiple posts where that is the problem.  As you stated you have checked the float heights, I am assuming that is not the problem. I don't think it is due to the cylinder not creating enough vacuum, as the float should be cutting off the supply of fuel once it reaches the proper level and only allowing more in once some has been removed.

Hope this helps,

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com