Author Topic: Kick starting your bike  (Read 3937 times)

Offline 78_SaltLick

• Hot Shot
  • Honda 1974 550
    • Custom Drum making
Kick starting your bike
« on: September 19, 2005, 08:50:15 pm »
time for yet another question that you would think would be common sense, but to me its a mystery.....

Is there a reason why i shouldnt kick start my bike every time i start it instead of using the electric start? My bike is missing the button to the electric start so ive been kick starting it every time, it starts right up even before im half way down with the kick. Im kinda starting to like kick starting it for some wierd reason. Think id like to continue. Does this save on the battery?  What if any downfalls are there to kick starting your bike every time?
Gold sparkle is the place you outta be.

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
Re: Kick starting your bike
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 08:53:54 pm »
None. If you like kick starting, kick away. The power savings from not using the starter are probably pretty negligible, if your bike starts up reasonably quickly.
'75 CB550F

Offline pmpski_1

• Hot Shot
  • Beast V and Beast I
    • My CB550 related blog on MSN Spaces
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 11:40:41 pm »
And it just looks a lot cooler when you kick start that beast.
Beast   I: 1974 CB550K
Beast IV: 1976 Chevy Blazer
Beast  V: 2003 Buell XB9S

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 02:26:25 am »
Starter button broke on mine about a year ago and I never bothered to fix it because it kick starts so easily.  The only time I miss the electric start is those rare occasions the bike dies at an intersection just as the light turns green! 

Offline Einyodeler

• Expert
  • Midnight bugs taste best!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 04:56:26 am »
My starter button on my daily rider has never worked , bought a replacement but still haven`t put it on.Starts on 1 or 2 kicks every time.
Yeah, kicking it over is so much cooler ;D
1972 CB500 - 1973 CB500 - 1974 CB550K - 1975 CB550F - 1975 CB750F - 1976 CJ360 - 1983 CR480 - 1970 BSA A65T Thunderbolt

Download Motorcycle Shop Manuals here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 06:03:06 am »
I kick start mine about 85% of the time. Only use the electric start when I am lazy.

I am still shocked how easy these bikes kick over compared to a American V-Twin.

Their is nothing better than to see some hardcore biker guy takin a smoke break outside our shop becasue he just spent the last
15 min. trying to kick over his harley...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 07:19:32 am »
pro teal,would you think that any well tuned bike regardless of make would kick over as well as any other?
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Einyodeler

• Expert
  • Midnight bugs taste best!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 07:40:53 am »
My `59 Harley comes to life in 1 or 2 kicks too. But you have to watch the return kick because it can throw you off into the gas pump while the the 2 hotties getting gas behind you are watching.....Ouch ::)
1972 CB500 - 1973 CB500 - 1974 CB550K - 1975 CB550F - 1975 CB750F - 1976 CJ360 - 1983 CR480 - 1970 BSA A65T Thunderbolt

Download Motorcycle Shop Manuals here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 07:46:23 am »
yea,but aint it fun having all those people watch you kick.i love it.my pan starts on 1 or 2 kicks all the time.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 08:55:21 am »
Really, the only thing you save with the button is a little wear and tear on your knee. But the coolness factor totaly out-weighs the knee pain (as long as it starts fairly decently).

When I rebuilt the engine on my 750, the first time I got it running I kick started it. It took me about 10 minutes and two small breaks, but it was a really cool feeling.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 09:00:57 am »
DUSTERDUDE---->
Any bike will kick over , if it is in good tune.
American bikes , especially the ones at my shop , are running allot more compression , which in turn makes them harder to kick.

And as far as being thrown over a bike , I have seen a few people thrown right over their bars on the re-coil ....
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 09:05:16 am »
yea,high compression,just what you need to make an overweight slug go 5 mph faster.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Kelvin8

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 09:38:08 am »
If you've got a kick starter you've GOT to use it. Push a button? Bah!

Offline bistromath

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 03:55:42 pm »
If your idle timing is advanced too much you'll toss yourself over the bars from the rebound.

Ask me how I know.

=D
'75 CB550F

MetalHead550

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 04:36:58 pm »
Man you guys are startin to make me feel like a pussy!  I almost never kick start mine.  I guess I hadnt thought how cool it would look to fire it up with the kickstart at the gas station, you just dont see that anymore.  That and Ive gotten spoiled by my bike coming to life at just a touch of the button :D.  However...Ive just recently found out that I am to inherit(sp?) a very nice 73 Triumph Tiger 750 from my generous, and unforunately wore out, Old Man.  Worked his ass off all his life and hurts him to much to ride right now.  Kick start only on that old thumper.  Yes I already know Im a lucky SOB,  I nearly pissed myself when he told me.  Triumphs kick ass.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 05:04:00 pm »
I will kick start on occasion when the bike is warmed up. The reason I don't do it much is that for years all I could afford old broken down kick start bikes. Learned to no lock my knee in case of kick back.  I lusted after an electric start bike, now I have a few. In light of the joy I see from your posts, I will kick start in your honor. NOT
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

jaannaktin

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 05:08:20 pm »
I love the kick start, and actually started it the very first time after resurrection using the kick. I did replace the missing electric push button, though, and have to confess that it is nice to use that (don't forget to order the tiny little spring behind the push button if that is missing, too!).

Dumb question, but I have only kick started on the center stand -- even at six one I don't think I could kick start with my left leg on the ground? Is there a preferred kick technique/position? The only thing that made me think of it was the previous comment about stalling out at a light -- I assume you have to put the bike back up on either the side or center stand to start??

Jaan

Offline Philly550K1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 05:30:09 pm »
for my dollar, kicking with the sidestand down makes the most sense, both because the bike is more stable that way than on the center stand, and because the lever is in a better position ergomonomicably.

and don't forget the trusty bump start.  with it warmed up, it doesn't take much of a downhill to pump the lump with out lifting your rump.

chump.  :)

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 05:55:07 pm »

Dumb question, but I have only kick started on the center stand -- even at six one I don't think I could kick start with my left leg on the ground? Is there a preferred kick technique/position? The only thing that made me think of it was the previous comment about stalling out at a light -- I assume you have to put the bike back up on either the side or center stand to start??

Jaan

When the engine is cold, I usually have it on the side or center stand to kick it over, but when it's already warm, I can easily kick start it with my left foot on the ground. 

trism18

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 08:45:48 pm »
I can kick off my CB750 K1 while sitting.  The kick start is pretty smooth, which makes me like kicking it, and it is a good way to begin rides.  Gotta get it touch with the machine.

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 03:31:45 am »
I kick start it every now and then, generally if somebody is looking and I want to highlight the fact that it is an old bike. I do it while sitting, just make a light jump and kick back, with the knee relaxed in case it has to bend. I don't like to do it often because I discovered that my foot goes very near the right sidecover and it would be a pity to break or scratch a like-new sidecover just because.

Raul

P.S. Sometimes, to impress the casual asker, I just switch the ignition on, and with the bike in neutral, just press the start button with my index finger withouth even grabbing the gas throttle. If the bike is warm it starts right up. People look in amazement on how easy is it to start and keeps the idle.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 04:01:17 am »
time for yet another question that you would think would be common sense, but to me its a mystery.....

Is there a reason why i shouldnt kick start my bike every time i start it instead of using the electric start? My bike is missing the button to the electric start so ive been kick starting it every time, it starts right up even before im half way down with the kick. Im kinda starting to like kick starting it for some wierd reason. Think id like to continue. Does this save on the battery?  What if any downfalls are there to kick starting your bike every time?

I love kick starting my bikes, always have since I discovered how easy a honda kicks over as compared to a brit bike. The real power savings from kick start only comes when you remove the heavy starter motor. If it isn't hooked up and you aint using it, why drag it around. You can always put it back later if you want.
Maintenance Matters Most