Author Topic: How to check for bent frame?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline bunghole

• Hot Shot
How to check for bent frame?
« on: October 04, 2008, 12:20:21 pm »
Anyone have a method for checking the frame to make sure it is straight?  When I look at it, it appears that the steering tube isn't lined up with the frame, but I'm just eyeballing it.  I only rode the bike a few times before tearing it down and I don't remember anything strange in the handling.
'05 HD FLSTCI (Heritage)
'06 Suzuki DRZ400S
'08 Honda VFR800
'77 Honda CB750K

Offline WFO

• Will work for powerbands
  • Expert
Re: How to check for bent frame?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:26:44 pm »
Anyone have a method for checking the frame to make sure it is straight?  When I look at it, it appears that the steering tube isn't lined up with the frame, but I'm just eyeballing it.  I only rode the bike a few times before tearing it down and I don't remember anything strange in the handling.

You can take the tank off and hold a straight edge along the top on the frame/spine to go to the back side of the steer tube and see how it lines up assuning the spine it self isn't bent but you should be able to see some irregularities.
82 cb650 sc nighthawk - 78 kz 650 b

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 01:13:19 pm »
My frame jig for my bobbers tells me that Honda frames are not symetrical from the factory.  From what I can tell, the bottom cross tube near the swingarm is not level with the top of the frame rails around the seat.  I have welded up a batch of hardtails and they have all been the same.  Level the frame using the area under the seat and then extend the line of the neck with a straight edge or level.  You should be able to see any offset as viewed from the front. 

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 01:32:47 pm »
If you've got it all torn down, you can use a long wooden or metal dowel (make sure THAT's straight) through the steering head, then sight from the front, standing back several feet, and if the next is tweaked you should be able to see it.

Another thing is to hang a laser lever from the ceiling, pointing down, and then align the frame under it on blocks so the laser paints a line down the centerline of the frame.  Any sideways bend in the backbone will be readily apparent.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0