Author Topic: Petcock Rebuild? (1982 CB650SC)  (Read 9142 times)

Offline leekellerking

• Enthusiast
Petcock Rebuild? (1982 CB650SC)
« on: September 30, 2008, 08:04:09 pm »
In addition to my electrical issues, the petcock of my 82 Nighthawk 650 leaks and effectively does not have a Reserve position.  Has anyone been able to rebuild one of the rivited petcocks from a CB650SC? 

I sort of remember seeing a post somewhere, but I can't remember where.  ???  A new petcock is ridiculously expensive, so anybody?  (Bueller?  Bueller?  Bueller?)

Lee
My Nighthawk is put together with wire and zip ties, burns oil, and handles like a pig.  I love it!

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
Re: Petcock Rebuild? (1982 CB650SC)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 09:13:25 pm »
Not sure, mines a CB650Z and I've never had any issues with the petrol cock leaking, had it off more times than a wharf hooker too! ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 09:18:11 pm »
No help from me on this...
All the petcocks I have had on the 650's i've worked on had no major problems.

sorry.

l8r
-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 03:42:32 am »
What ever work you do when buying parts remember the 81/82 petcock is bigger than the 79/80.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline leekellerking

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 07:05:50 am »
The good news is that the electrical problem cleared up when I installed a rebuilt rotor from Custom Rewind (www.customrewind.com).  I am still working on getting the right turn signal to work, but that is only an annoyance (until I get my first ticket for expired inspection sticker, that is).

The bad news is that the petcock still leaks in Reserve and I could REALLY have used Reserve New Years Eve.  I got stranded on Hwy 77 between Refugio and Sinton on the way to a friend's ranch.  A good Samaritan picked me up and took me for gas, but it was a royal pain, nonetheless.

So my question is, has anyone here disabled the fancy-schmancy vacumm fuel valve and replaced their Honda petock with a generic petcock?  If so, what was the cost and what did you have to do?

Thanks,

Lee

In addition to my electrical issues, the petcock of my 82 Nighthawk 650 leaks and effectively does not have a Reserve position.  Has anyone been able to rebuild one of the rivited petcocks from a CB650SC? 

I sort of remember seeing a post somewhere, but I can't remember where.  ???  A new petcock is ridiculously expensive, so anybody?  (Bueller?  Bueller?  Bueller?)

Lee
My Nighthawk is put together with wire and zip ties, burns oil, and handles like a pig.  I love it!

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 07:42:24 am »
I take the auto fuel shut off on all my bikes.   Always use the stock petcock though.   

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 08:50:26 pm »
Hey CB650,what's the auto fuel shut off? and where is it situated?
I've got same bike as leekellerking and I'm sure that's the reason my bike is so damn hard to start when its' been left for a few days.
Even the choke makes no difference in fact it seems to make things worse!
Once she's finally decided to run then she's all good, so I think she aint getting the gas up at startup.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 05:30:39 am »
I'm pretty sure the Z's didnt get it.  Only on the CV carbs.  Anyway just follow the fuel line.

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 11:05:04 am »
Nah I also have an 82 Custom with CV carbs and I'm pretty sure its a US import.

Offline MikeB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 12:00:08 pm »

Lee

Does it leak right at the lever or ?
mine wont move to the res. pos. was thinking of drilling out the rivets to see what going on, but a new one is $133.00 from Honda, but would think any type of valve that would thread into the fitting would work  ??? Honda still has the petcock and gaskets and screens avail.

Hush the fuel shut off valve is between 3 & 4 carbs at the top rear

hope this helps
Mike

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 12:01:36 pm »
I forgot you had a 82 also.

Offline leekellerking

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 07:52:05 pm »
Mine leaks at the plate the lever is mounted on when I put it in reserve.

It also does not shut of the gas when in the "off" position (making removing the tank an interesting proposition). 

Parts N More (https://www.partsnmore.com/) has a "universal" petcock for $29.00 that fits a 3/8" NPT bung and they also sell metric adaptors. I e-mailed them but got not reply.

Anybody done business with Parts N More?

Lee

Lee

mine wont move to the res. pos. was thinking of drilling out the rivets to see what going on, but a new one is $133.00 from Honda, but would think any type of valve that would thread into the fitting would work  ??? Honda still has the petcock and gaskets and screens avail.

hope this helps
Mike

Offline leekellerking

• Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 08:22:33 am »
So, I did some more research, and Pingel (among others) makes adaptors for the "bung style" petcock that goes on my 82 CB650SC. 

Does anybody know what the thread size is on the 1982?  22 mm or 20 mm?

Thanks,

Lee

Mine leaks at the plate the lever is mounted on when I put it in reserve.

It also does not shut of the gas when in the "off" position (making removing the tank an interesting proposition). 

Parts N More (https://www.partsnmore.com/) has a "universal" petcock for $29.00 that fits a 3/8" NPT bung and they also sell metric adaptors. I e-mailed them but got not reply.

Anybody done business with Parts N More?

Lee

Lee

hope this helps
Mike

Offline leekellerking

• Enthusiast
Help Re: Petcock Sizing (1982 CB650SC)
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 08:57:49 am »
So my question is, has anyone here disabled the fancy-schmancy vacuum fuel valve and replaced their Honda petcock with a generic petcock?  If so, what was the cost and what did you have to do?

Thanks,

Lee

The question remains before the group mind -- has anyone deactivated the vacuum fuel shutoff thingy on their bike?

I am having a problem with lack of power/surging at freeway speeds and it has been suggested that it might be related to the vacuum fuel cutoff valve. 

Also, I can find petcocks for a 22mm bung, or for a 3/8 NPT bung, and Pingel sells adaptors.  Problem is, I don't know what size the Honda bung is.

Anybody here know? The part number for the petcock is the same for the 1982 CB650 and CB750C and SC, but I don't know what size that is, or how to guage it short of taking my tank to the auto parts store (if that would work).

Thanks,

Lee

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 04:04:41 pm »
I take all the auto #$%* offs on my bike.  Just run a new fuel line and plug the vacum. 
I can measure the bung this weekend.

Offline leekellerking

• Enthusiast
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 08:22:47 pm »
I will consider doing the same.  But not until I replace the fricking petcock!

Lee

I take all the auto #$%* offs on my bike.  Just run a new fuel line and plug the vacum. 
I can measure the bung this weekend.

Offline bingtx

• Movement Marketing
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 02:08:26 pm »
I know you probably fixed the problem by now, but for anyone else in the future...I drilled out the rivets on my 82 cb750cb, then used to JB weld to hold the faceplate on. The Gas ate that away, so then I finished drilling all the way through the petcock, and put some bolts through. It's not leaking anymore!