Author Topic: Jet needle/needle jet wear  (Read 3911 times)

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
Jet needle/needle jet wear
« on: October 03, 2008, 11:03:24 pm »
For second time since buying the bike in 1977, I've replaced the jet needle sets in the '75 750F carbs.  The first time was back in the 90's at around 35,000 miles when I noticed a gradual loss in performance.  Symptoms were a big drop in fuel mileage, rich running, and no need to use the choke when starting, no matter how cold.  Fuel mileage had dropped from the mid-40s to the mid-to-low 30s.  I read at the time that needles and jets for these carbs were soft and subject to rapid wear.  The story was Honda had recognised this, so later parts were hard anodized to provide longer service life.  After replacing the jet needle sets, everything went back to normal. 

Those old symptoms began reappearing earlier this summer.  The bike was at over 112,000 miles and fuel mileage dropped from the low 40's where it has consistently been (while running on the potato juice they call gasoline here in the valley) down to the mid 30's.  One day on the freeway, a cylinder started cutting out.  I pulled the plugs when I got home and they were sooty black.  I pulled the carbs and sure enough, the needles were visibly worn.  I compared the old jets to the new ones using drill bits a plug gauges and they are worn, too. 

With the new parts in, gas mileage is right back to the low 40s.  It wants the choke when starting cold any time below 80 degrees.  If your bike's mileage is around 35,000-40,000 miles and you aren't getting the fuel mileage you think you should, it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the jet needle set.  Since the second sets went twice as far as the original sets did in my bike, it looks like the newer ones do last longer.

As a side note, I tried using parts from Keyster kits bought a couple of years ago.  The kits have most of the small parts for a carb rebuild and cost the same as just the jet needle set from Honda.  But it was no bargain.  The kits contained only the jet needle and not the jet.  The taper on the needle was visibly different than the stock needle.  The gaskets look OK, but the rest of the stuff is not precisely made.  I can't recommend them.  Others here have noted the same thing, but unfortunately I read that feedback well after I bought the kits.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline toycollector10

• Expert
Re: Jet needle/needle jet wear
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:35:49 pm »
I used Keyster kits for my '69 CB750. It would barely run then sooted up so bad it would only run on three with a lot of coaxing. I obtained Honda needles and it then ran beautifully. So, no, I don't recommend using needles that aren't factory parts.
1969  CB 750 K0
1973  CB175
1973  Z1 Kawasaki

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 03:39:14 pm »
112000 on an SOHC!  My god man, retire the old girl and give another bike a chance to roam the roads.

Offline WFO

• Will work for powerbands
  • Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 04:29:10 pm »
The guy with the banana is just freaking me out. ( iam done)
82 cb650 sc nighthawk - 78 kz 650 b

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 04:48:31 pm »
112000 on an SOHC!  My god man, retire the old girl and give another bike a chance to roam the roads.

It is still going strong and acts like it has a lot more left in it.  I knew of a couple 750s back when they were a little more current that went to 150,000.  Another aquaintance of mine tells me he tore his down at 150,000 only because the base gasket was leaking badly and making a mess he couldn't ignore. 

I've got two other bikes that see plenty of miles, but the 750 is my daily driver.  If it ever wears out, I'll rebuild it.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 06:47:38 pm »
Whaddaya mean? Hell, it's just broken in....  ;D
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen