Author Topic: How much oil??  (Read 883 times)

splittie

How much oil??
« on: October 04, 2008, 10:49:18 pm »
Just wondering how much oil should there be inside the engine cover on the left side of the engine that houses the shifting mechanism?
I had my oil light coming on and I got freaked out, changed the oil and filter, then the bike started leaking oil. Checked and tightened down all of the bolts along the engine. I pulled the side cover off of the engine and it seemed as if there was quite a bit of oil in there. Also, I do have an oil leak that comes out and runs right down the kickstand.
I think the problem with the oil light coming on may be the oil pressure switch, but not sure if I have a bad seal that's causing the leak.
Any help would be great.

Offline CB750F2

• Hot Shot
  • Pat's first Honda 750 F2
Re: How much oil??
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 03:32:56 am »
I am assuming that the bike is a 750. I suggest that you fit a gauge to measure the oil pressure. There is plug on the RH side that can be removed and a gauge fitted. The oil light should come on when the oil pressure drops below 6 or 7 psi.
     I am not sure how much oil will be in the LH side cover but there will be some because oil from the scavange pump is pumped to that side for lubrication of the transmission. If you mean the side stand when you say kick stand then maybe the oil leak is coming from the LH transmission cover gasket. Give the area a good clean, run the bike for a few minutes then switch off and allow to stand over night. Check the leak in the morning. Pat
Regards
Pat from Australia

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: How much oil??
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 06:05:14 am »
You also have the shifter shaft seal in that area too.  Both that seal and the gasket are available and not very costly.  You may want to do them both at the same time while you have that cover off.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA