Author Topic: 1980 CB650C the magic combo!!!  (Read 930 times)

KingCustomCycles.com

1980 CB650C the magic combo!!!
« on: October 04, 2008, 01:07:51 pm »
For the archives gentlemen (and I use the term gentlemen loosely :D) I just slugged through hours and hours of carb tuning to the perfect combo.  I can now remove and reinstall a set of carbs on this bike without removing the tank, seat, or side covers in 30 minutes.  Anyway, It has pods to get rid of that god awful airbox and stock 4-4 exhaust.  The 1980 has "tunable" carbs but the needle has no adjustment grooves so tunable is also a stretch.  I swapped the 95 main jets to 105, I pulled out and drilled the pilot jets with a #77 numerical drill, and I set the idle screws 2 turns out.  What was a sneezing, popping, little #$%* is now idling and pulling like brand new.  This will make someone a sweet little ride when I get the paint on her.  Cheers, and a sober Saturday night for me.  :-)

Offline Soos

• Just a butcher with a carbide hatchet, definitely not a
  • Master
Re: 1980 CB650C the magic combo!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 07:09:01 pm »
Nice what does this 650 look like, and whats it turning into?
Or you keeping it stock?

-=≡ Soos ≡=-
Just think to yourself what would Alowishus Devander Abercrombie do?
"Brix will be shat by your neighbors." - schwebel
(61mm)652cc 1979 cb650

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 07:45:03 pm »
Hey you know those nasty 4 into ones, just box em up and send them to NZ c/- Hush. ;D
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline eurban

• Master
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 07:11:16 am »
  The 1980 has "tunable" carbs but the needle has no adjustment grooves so tunable is also a stretch. 

You can use small washers as shims underneath the needle clip to richen the mix.  Doesn't help if you need to go leaner however.  Make sure that the washers are all the same thickness. . . .

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:39:05 am »
I forgot about the washer thing,,,geez I hate getting old, Thank you.  Anyway, the bike is going to be basically stock except for the pods and a set of superbike bars and grips.  The 4-4 exhaust is beautiful so it stays.  I am going to paint it in the style of a stock bike but with different colors.  Maybe black, metallic red, and gold striping.  Maybe cream and metallic red, something nice and clean but not over done.  My potential buyer will, no doubt, be a beginner or female so I will paint with an eye towards that market.  No skulls, crosses, or flames on this one. Affordable, reliable daily driver, with a few mods to jazz it up.