VW
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: September 26, 2005, 12:39:02 am

Author Topic: Bugs  (Read 2301 times)

Kelvin8

Bugs
« on: September 19, 2005, 12:39:02 am »
Got a bee in my helmet once, and splatted a grasshopper on my chest at 65MPH. How 'bout you?

Offline historicjake

Re: Bugs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 11:53:09 am »
last year was the "Brood X" hatching of cicada's and my neighborhood was right in the heart of them.  I had to shovel them out of the basement door staircase as they got trapped there and started to rot...Any way a friend bought a motorcycle and she was scared to drive it home and I jumped at the chance...must have taken out 5 or 6 of them on the way to her house.  You could see them coming and I wasn't driving too fast (stop and go) but you still could feel them Thump! on you....Would have really hurt at speed.

eldar

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 05:05:04 pm »
THose things are like grasshoppers on steroids.

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 05:38:17 pm »
bugs... yeah all the time.  birds?  well, thats a different story   :D

we were headed to the newly constructed road race track in topeka kansas... yes this was several years ago... buddy of mine knocked the crap out of a crow with his windscreen on his sportbike... it flew over the guy behind him and hit me in the chest! 

if you've ever hit an already bloodied carcass... it's pretty freekin gross!   :-X
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline jbailey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 05:44:55 pm »
I voted for VW because there was no choice for the thing I hit and it seemed about the size of a VW.  I believe it was a Japanese beetle.  It was BIG, black and flying slow.  I hit it mid chest with just a T-shirt on.  That was about 25 years ago.  Now I always wear a jacket and have hit some big stuff and thanks to the jacket and/or helmet have not experienced the joy of cruching a large exo-skeleton with my chest.
1975 Honda CB550K
2005 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 09:34:48 pm »
June bugs, stupid and hard. Feel like a bb gun shot through the jacket at 70 mph
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

Offline Jonesy

• Shop Rat
  • Old Timer
  • "Damn! These HM300 Pipes Are Expensive!!!"
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 07:52:19 pm »
I caught a giant dragonfly with a 4-inch wingspan in the chin air vent of my full helmet. Would been really nasty if I was wearing the 3/4 skid lid... :P
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing people out there having a good time on motorcycles; it makes me take another look." -Steve McQueen

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2005, 10:04:26 am »
In the old days I lived in western Washington and wore an open face helmet.  In the evenings, there would be these clouds of some kind of squishy bug in a 3 to 4 foot diameter ball hovering above the road.  Running through them at speed felt like being slapped in the face with a wet towel.  Another good argument for full face helmets.

Greg
'75 CB750F
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline boatsdickson

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 836 K8
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 09:19:37 am »
Caught me an owl one late night or early morning right above the visor. Its funny now, but I probably couldve matched the shape of the back of my helmet to the indent in the center of the shoulder blades. Never thought a 750 could be mistaken as a field mouse...
"No. We're all our own prisons, we are each all our own wardens and we do our own time. I can't judge anyone else. What other people do is not really my affair unless they approach me with it. Prison's in your mind. Can't you see I'm free"?  Testimonial of Charles Manson