Author Topic: Carb cleaner in the gas tank?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline 78_SaltLick

• Hot Shot
  • Honda 1974 550
    • Custom Drum making
Carb cleaner in the gas tank?
« on: September 19, 2005, 10:09:55 pm »
Can i put some sort of carb cleaner in my gas, to help with my sputtering issues? If so, any recomendations on what brand? Someone told me to just throw some carb cleaner in my tank and that would take care of my low speed sputtering and coughing issues. Will it not hurt?
Gold sparkle is the place you outta be.

Teach

Re: Carb cleaner in the gas tank?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 06:14:02 am »
Yamaha makes some fantastic stuff that you mix with gasoline to clean out the carbs.  You can use it on the bike or off.  I think I read 45cc's of the mixture per carb, so you'll need only 180cc's of the mixture into the fuel line.  I used it with the carbs off the bike and it made them look brand new after a night's bath.

MetalHead550

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 07:15:49 am »
How long since the carbs have been disassebled and cleaned/adjusted?  If its been some time and the bike has sat for a couple years then there is no quick fix in my op.  Those bad boys will have to come off.  First off though....by low speed sputtering do you mean that the throttle is only slightly open, say no more than 1/4 throttle?  Simply put, the fuel mixture is governed by throttle position and not engine speed.  The idle circuit(pilot jet and screw) is mostly resposible for closed to 1/4 throttle or so.  So the pilot screw setting could be to blame for these problems.  I think yours are the little brass flat blade screws on the outside of each carb just above the float bowls.  Screw each one in until they lightly bottom out, then back each one out 2 turns and see if it runs any better.  Yours should meter air, so you can turn them in by 1/4 turn increments to richen the mixture or out to lean.  Keep us updated!  Later. 

Online dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 07:38:55 am »
seafoam works good also,if you can find it.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline 78_SaltLick

• Hot Shot
  • Honda 1974 550
    • Custom Drum making
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 07:59:29 am »
How long since the carbs have been disassebled and cleaned/adjusted?  If its been some time and the bike has sat for a couple years then there is no quick fix in my op.  Those bad boys will have to come off.  First off though....by low speed sputtering do you mean that the throttle is only slightly open, say no more than 1/4 throttle?  Simply put, the fuel mixture is governed by throttle position and not engine speed.  The idle circuit(pilot jet and screw) is mostly resposible for closed to 1/4 throttle or so.  So the pilot screw setting could be to blame for these problems.  I think yours are the little brass flat blade screws on the outside of each carb just above the float bowls.  Screw each one in until they lightly bottom out, then back each one out 2 turns and see if it runs any better.  Yours should meter air, so you can turn them in by 1/4 turn increments to richen the mixture or out to lean.  Keep us updated!  Later. 

i basically got this bike last weekend, by the looks of things he didnt really keep the bike in too good of running condition (throttle was very stiff almost to the point of not working, turn signals didnt work, chain is loose, oil is black, brake fluid is brown, engine running choppy, brakes squeaking and in need of new pads, rust in the tank) good points are a new o ring chain and tires, thing starts first kick every morning without even turning the choke on and warms up and idles real smooth without warming up, and it looks clean, doesnt leak oil, new 4 into 1 exaust.  I think i better start with the basics, give it a tuneup ect before i start blaming the carbs for the performance issues. If giving it a tuneup, replacing the plugs and such doesnt improve the performance i will def try adjusting/cleaning the carbs next.

Offline Einyodeler

• Expert
  • Midnight bugs taste best!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 08:02:43 am »
Do not repeat DO NOT run an O-Ring chain on a 500-550.The chain is too wide and you`ll have a hole in the case :o
1972 CB500 - 1973 CB500 - 1974 CB550K - 1975 CB550F - 1975 CB750F - 1976 CJ360 - 1983 CR480 - 1970 BSA A65T Thunderbolt

Download Motorcycle Shop Manuals here: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=17788.0

Offline 78_SaltLick

• Hot Shot
  • Honda 1974 550
    • Custom Drum making
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 08:45:51 am »
oh good lord....something else.....

The guy told me he had an O ring chain just put on it. Since he was an idiot, and i dont know what the heck the difference is between a regular chain and an O ring, i cant tell what was put on it. Is this a serious issue? Meaning i shouldnt even drive it until another chain is put on? Jesus the guy that had the bike before me was dumber about this stuff then i am.....

Tomfl57

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 10:13:17 am »
Two things I just learned on this thread.  Turn out the idle screw to lean, in to richen (my Clymer book doesn't spell that out) and do not run an o-ring chain on a 500/550 ( I have one of each). 
Everytime I come here I learn something.  Thanks!

MetalHead550

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 12:36:43 pm »
As the wise Einyodeler says, get rid of that o-ring chain.  Believe me I learned the hard way!  Saltlick, the difference between a regular chain and o-ring is the overall thickness of the chain.  O-ring chains are wider cuz there are o-rings between the rollers.  Youll see em if you look.  Since the 0-ring chain is wider it will rub against your engine case because the clearance between the front sprocket and engine case on our bikes is very tight.  Just get a nice standard 530 chain.  I recommend EK chains.  Tsubaki chains suck!  Also I dont know where you live but either its quite warm or you are way rich to be starting and idleing w/out choke.  Im pretty sure you have the same carbs as me which means when you set the choke it doesnt pull the throttle as well like newer models. So yeah, way rich.  Try turning those pilot screws out a bit and you may be surprized.  Good to know the bike is in the hands of someone trying to make it nice again!  Rock on.

Tomfl57:  That actually depends on what year your 550 is as far as which way to turn the pilot screw.  Heres an easy rule of thumb for any set of carbs.  Well old ones anyway.  If the pilot screw is on the air filter side of the carb then it meters air.  So out to lean, in to rich.  If the pilot screw is on the intake manifold side of the carbs(front of the carbs towards the cylinder block) then it meters fuel.  So the opposite, in to lean out to richen.  Later guys.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 01:27:16 pm »
The best carb. cleaner out their is race gas in my opinion. The higher octane the better.

When I first bought my CB , I stopped by my buddies shop ,and filled the tank 1/2 full of 110 octance Sunoco , and the then topped if off with reg. out of the pump 93. Cleaned everything out nicely.....
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends