Author Topic: Az to: Mount Rushmore, Sturgis, New Mexico, East Coast, NYC, back to Az.  (Read 64134 times)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Az to: Mount Rushmore, Sturgis, New Mexico, East Coast, NYC, back to Az.
« Reply #175 on: October 30, 2009, 08:31:56 am »
I dont like the big mob ride, but you could ride in groups of 4, & start an end in same place...

Four stockers

Four cafes

Four choppers

Four bobbers

That would be too cool, The FOURnicatorsRide 2010..... ;D
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2009, 02:42:19 pm »
think about the ride with a large group like this. if everyone carries different tools, a large enough group would have enough tools combined that we could do a roadside rebuild if we wanted to. i've been thinking about this alot. hell, i'll sell a guitar to pay my expenses if i have to.
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline Skonnie Boy

• Cold cock
  • Hot Shot
  • Life is not like a box of chocolates.
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2009, 09:45:21 pm »
Epic multi-sohc4-member group trip? *cough cough  ;D

Just sayin'

Have fun for me in New Orleans, I never got a stop by there...

A small group of us serious guys should start planning. I'm already setting money aside and told my girlfriend to expect me to be gone twice as long this summer. I wasn't joking.

Its hard to keep an idea alive over winter, but it might be worth it to keep this one on the back burner.  And hey, we can split the book advance 4 or 5 ways.  Should be enough to pay for some tall boys and camping fees, right?

Whhat, it could happen, right?
"Yeah, I'm hip about time. But I just gotta go."

Offline Shenanigans

• At making holes in walls, Im a
  • Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2009, 10:19:02 am »
It would be pretty damn cool if this ride actually started.

I know it will be pretty hard for everyone to get the same schedule as far as when they can do it, but I think if we planned far enough ahead. We could have people ride along when they could for as long as they want and always be open to letting new people join in. That way we would have sort of a rolling group. Just throwing that out there.
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2009, 10:32:04 am »
On another forum the members are doing a Sturgis 2010 Ride. A few might make it from Oz..

anyway, if we have a point like say that or Bonneville, the ride can come from more than 1 direction, everyone gets to try to meet up, can miss the major ride, but still get together.. or ride the to or the from, or ride out on the west ride, & go back on the east ride.. lots of possibilities..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Kframe

• Hot Shot
  • Life is good!
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2010, 06:59:50 pm »
Wow, I just spent my afternoon reading this, what an incredible journey!
People spend big money trying and still don't find this much adventure.  And the narrative retelling the story is brilliant.
Makes me itch for spring, last summer I went on a 2500 mile trip from MN to WI to IA to IL to IN to OH to MI then north through the U.P. and over Lake Superior in Canada and back down into MN, and I can't wait to take the next long trip. 
Great story man, you'll remember this for the rest of your life, great pictures too!
-K
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100, ARK'd, Pods, TOR's, Napoleon's, Innovate G5 Air/Fuel Gauge, Ignition Relocation by D9, Stebel Nautilus, Avon Roadriders
1984 Honda Shadow VT700c, Stock
1974 Honda CB550K, In rehab
1986 Honda Helix

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2010, 08:52:20 pm »
Yeah, I rented Gary Paulsen's book "Pilgrimage on a Steel Ride" and while I loved his "young adult" books, this one, while being about a ride from the midwest to Alaska and back, came off like a sad, self serving old dude on a harley.

It paled in comparison to Shenanigan's endeavor.  I'd way rather spend an afternoon re-reading this thread. :D
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2010, 11:30:49 am »
A SOHC group ride has taken place before so no reason why it cant be done again.

In 2004 I organised a SOHC group ride to recreate the Easy Rider route seen in the movie. We had 10 bikes take part  - 9 SOHCs (mixture of choppers, stockers and cafe bikes - one 550 and the rest 750s) and one cafe Harley. We had international SOHCers how came for it -from Scotland, England and Germany as well as SOHC riders from East, West and Mid-USA. Trip lasted 16 days and 5400 miles. Very cheap as well ~$700 per person (gas, food and lodging and beer money).

The route started at LAX and we rode along Rt 66 to Barstow,CA via Angels Highway and then onwards to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, 4-corners, New Mexico, Texas, Ozark mountains of Arkansas, then down by the side of the Missouri River to New Orleans. We even met back up 6 months later to do Mardis Gras  ;D.

All the details and photos are here:
www.easyridertrip.de

Starting at LAX

10 bikers and two hotel rooms - Barstow, CA

cheers
Andy

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:36:14 am by andy750 »
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2010, 01:12:01 pm »
A SOHC group ride has taken place before so no reason why it cant be done again.

In 2004 I organised a SOHC group ride to recreate the Easy Rider route seen in the movie. We had 10 bikes take part  - 9 SOHCs (mixture of choppers, stockers and cafe bikes - one 550 and the rest 750s) and one cafe Harley. We had international SOHCers how came for it -from Scotland, England and Germany as well as SOHC riders from East, West and Mid-USA. Trip lasted 16 days and 5400 miles. Very cheap as well ~$700 per person (gas, food and lodging and beer money).

The route started at LAX and we rode along Rt 66 to Barstow,CA via Angels Highway and then onwards to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, 4-corners, New Mexico, Texas, Ozark mountains of Arkansas, then down by the side of the Missouri River to New Orleans. We even met back up 6 months later to do Mardis Gras  ;D.

All the details and photos are here:
www.easyridertrip.de

Starting at LAX

10 bikers and two hotel rooms - Barstow, CA

cheers
Andy

Another trip like that should happen! I have been putting off suggesting any rides until I have a bike I know is solid.
   This pretty much sums it up.   76' CB592 cafe. 69 750 project, 03 CBR954, 75 750 super sport.

Offline westondc

• Wes Mantooth
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2010, 08:21:15 am »
Hey Shenanigans, do you still have your trip story on your blog? i cant find it and i wanted to send someone thats not on the forum a link to it. oh, and do you have any trip plans for this summer with the bike when its all finished up?
B.O.X.N.I.F.E. Hospital fund https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/8352
Rider no. 115 on the 2012 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 274 on the 2011 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
1972 Honda CB500k1
1971 Honda CB350k3
the project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64499.0
Trip/Project Blog http://easterntowestern.blogspot.com/
just be a vagabond, living out of a backpack on a little Honda, cruisin all over the damn place....
"As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?"

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2010, 08:23:10 pm »
Hey Shenanigans, do you still have your trip story on your blog? i cant find it and i wanted to send someone thats not on the forum a link to it. oh, and do you have any trip plans for this summer with the bike when its all finished up?

I do. Here is the direct link: http://dimonvlad.wordpress.com/2009/04/06/dimon-megapost/

As for trip plans, I was hoping maybe this summer but it will have to wait. My plan was to sell motorcycle parts to fund the ride itself but I  could not find a decent steady job so that money ended up just supporting me. I just took a full time position at a motorcycle dealership so I can save up as much as possible but it means no free time for a while. I WILL do another trip, might be a year or two off at most before I can do it but I want to actually be able to cross a good chunk of the world as I really really want to do a real epic trip and write a book.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:29:22 pm by Shenanigans »

Offline westondc

• Wes Mantooth
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #186 on: February 26, 2010, 08:36:12 am »
As for trip plans, I was hoping maybe this summer but it will have to wait. My plan was to sell motorcycle parts to fund the ride itself but I  could not find a decent steady job so that money ended up just supporting me. I just took a full time position at a motorcycle dealership so I can save up as much as possible but it means no free time for a while. I WILL do another trip, might be a year or two off at most before I can do it but I want to actually be able to cross a good chunk of the world as I really really want to do a real epic trip and write a book.

Thanks for the link, contrats on the MC dealership job. that sounds like a fun gig. That next epic trip would be crazy awesome having  already read how your last trip was. Great idea writting a book, you can count me in on a copy.
B.O.X.N.I.F.E. Hospital fund https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/8352
Rider no. 115 on the 2012 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 274 on the 2011 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
1972 Honda CB500k1
1971 Honda CB350k3
the project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=64499.0
Trip/Project Blog http://easterntowestern.blogspot.com/
just be a vagabond, living out of a backpack on a little Honda, cruisin all over the damn place....
"As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?"

Offline Shenanigans

• Master
  • Right turn?
« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »
Alright, so with this new full time job and a steady predictable income I have decided to save up and leave in one year. Dont know where but just leave, a little more prepared and with a passport this time. I think I am going to build or find one spare engine so in an horrible worse case scenario I can just have to shipped to where ever I am. I wanted to build and take a 750 but that could take forever and drain me of money when I have a ride able bike sitting right here.

I figured that if I put the word out now, that when the times come I could get some help/a place to sleep/ or if anyone wants to ride along! My plan is to make it good enough to where I can write a full book about it. So if you think you are going to be alive in a year...  ;D

Offline noahspop

• Hot Shot
  • 1977 CB750F2
« Reply #188 on: March 22, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »
Are you gonna bring your skateboard again?
Regardless, you have a place to crash if you end up going through Central Ca. I don't know why you would, but if you did.
Looking foward for the next read.

Offline Deceptibong

« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2010, 10:02:14 am »
Are you gonna bring your skateboard again?

Im taking my skateboard! (aka "my gf")  :D

I figured what could be better than touring around the country checking out skate parks along the way.  Ill make sure to pack the unit tool too. ;)

If you guys do decide on group ride, Id totally be down.  Living in Neb I would assume I would meet you guys part way into it but it still sounds great to me!  Ill keep my eye on this thread in the mean time.
1972 CB750k2

Build / Travel Reports: http://easterntowestern.blogspot.com

Offline john_matrix

« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2010, 11:21:03 am »
I have a really stupid question, but I searched and couldn't find it.

Can anyone tell me what the "shroud" around the headlamp is called? (Or where I could buy one?)

Seen in this pic, the metal half circle at the top of the headlamp:

I searched for "headlamp shroud" and "headlamp shade" and didn't get any results.

Thanks.
1977 CB 750K

Offline seaweb11

• 1st Mate &
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride & Smile
    • Playground Directory
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2010, 11:50:25 am »
visor

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
  • Just getting started...
    • MotoPreserve
« Reply #192 on: October 14, 2010, 11:13:49 am »
I am new to the site, and just found this tour diary.  Great read, couldn't put it down!  Glad to see that Shenanigans is thinking about writing a book about his next adventure.

Don't know if you all have seen this book, but it's pretty amazing.  Story of a couple guys who decided to travel around the world on a bike.  You have all probably seen (and read) stories like this, but these guys did it in 1928!!!!  I wonder what they would think if they could see these new BMW1200s now? :)
1976 CB550K...in progress
1975 CL360...eventually custom
2009 Husqvarna TE610

a blog about wrenching in Brooklyn, NY

“Success is dependent on effort.”
~Sophocles

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2011, 01:55:09 pm »
Just read your story of your trip.  Beautiful man!  I was smiling ear to ear reading your journal posts, and I cant wait to go out and do something like this myself. 

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #194 on: November 06, 2011, 06:04:27 pm »
Just read your story of your trip.  Beautiful man!  I was smiling ear to ear reading your journal posts, and I cant wait to go out and do something like this myself.
You may get a chance. I think the Around the World Rally is starting again. This year. Check out what has been done so far.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline 737av8or

« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2016, 10:41:47 am »
Thank You Shenanigans and kpier883. kpier883 started a thread about the best threads on this site and suggested this one! I couldn't put it down and read it straight through. What an epic adventure Shenanigans, you're my hero. It was a great read from start to finish.
1975 CB750 K5