Author Topic: K1 front brake - brakelight?  (Read 887 times)

Offline cbjunkie

• Master
  • ...know what i'm sayin'?
K1 front brake - brakelight?
« on: September 21, 2005, 08:02:49 am »

OK - so sorry if this has been discussed before - i tried searching but could not find anything -

when i got my first bike - a 72 cb350 there was no brakelight switch for the front brake - so i bought a cable that had a mid-line switch hookup and it seemed to work fine - except for the fact that the cable was a piece of @#%& and having one more connection/break in the line made it hard to lubricate and created unnecessary slack in the operation.

so now - here i am with the new bike, K1, and i have the same problem - no switch for the brakelight on the front brake!  Why, in the name of all that is fast, loud and dangerous, is the PRIMARY brake left out of the equation when it comes to signalling your actions to the cell-drivers behind you???

anyone send me a link to a discussion of this problem or let me know what the old-timers solution is?  I rarely use the rear brake (usually only when feathering the clutch in a tight turn) and this problem needs to be fixed before i register the bike...

thanks for the help in advance,
j...
1971 750K1
1972 CB350 (deceased)

sometimes naked, sometimes mad -
now the poet, now the fool -
thus they appear on earth,
the free men.

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
Re: K1 front brake - brakelight?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 08:07:10 am »
You should have a pressure switch on the bottom yolk (triple tree) where the two hydraulic hoses connect.

If a PO has installed a single braided hose, there will be no switch and hence no front brake light.

If you still have the original two piece hydraulic system, check the wiring from the switch or replace it if faulty.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 08:26:48 am by SteveD CB500F »
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline cbjunkie

• Master
  • ...know what i'm sayin'?
Re: K1 front brake - brakelight?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 08:10:56 am »

thanks steve - will check this out this weekend - prob a PO issue, as you said.

j...
1971 750K1
1972 CB350 (deceased)

sometimes naked, sometimes mad -
now the poet, now the fool -
thus they appear on earth,
the free men.