Author Topic: Riding in near freezing temps...  (Read 15282 times)

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Riding in near freezing temps...
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2008, 06:55:44 am »
Just don't stop anywhere in public. ;) ;D
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2008, 06:15:43 pm »
I've got the same chaps and jacket....rock on.

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2008, 06:37:43 am »
Awesome! The mask I bought from JCwhitney, its neoprene, very warm and only 10.00 bucks. I told my wife we should get some for the kids to wear when they go out to play in the snow  :P . The boots I have go half way up my calf and give pretty good ankle support. I just got in my bug eye goggles too so if the other Kansas Cityans sees this setup on the road wave at the goon going by  ;D ;D
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2008, 08:07:26 am »
Goon:
You might be on to something here: put a small chain saw on the back seat, and you might find traffic to be clearer all around you!  ;D
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

thepartyjerk

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2008, 09:53:02 am »
     How about any low-temp troubleshooting? I never had a problem starting during warmer temps , but its gotten pretty chilly here in Mass and my bike is way too cold.

Offline kach_me

• Hot Shot
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2008, 09:56:38 am »
Awesome! The mask I bought from JCwhitney, its neoprene, very warm and only 10.00 bucks. I told my wife we should get some for the kids to wear when they go out to play in the snow  :P . The boots I have go half way up my calf and give pretty good ankle support. I just got in my bug eye goggles too so if the other Kansas Cityans sees this setup on the road wave at the goon going by  ;D ;D

What part of KC, Mo do you live in?  I used to date a girl there from Raytown.  Spent a few months going back and forth between Illinois and Mo to chase her. 
1976 CB 750K - Stock / No mods (yet).

Offline ieism

• Expert
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2008, 01:50:11 pm »
Interesting tips. I've used a pinlock in my helmet for a while, it works better than anything else. It's impossible to fog it up. Get the real thing, not some cheaper brand.

Another tip I have is to keep moving. Sitting still on the bike wil get you cold very quick. Move your arms and legs every now and then. Don't grip the bars too tight, it will freeze your fingers faster for some reason.
This is why i drive slower in the winter, so I don't have to hold on to the bike so much.

Lube your chain more often, the salt and wet will get the lube off much faster.

I ussually ride the highways with one hand behind my back to protect it from the wind, obviously you can't do this if there is a lot of traffic.

I hate riding with my visor open in winter. The salt from the road gets in your eyes and seriously hurts after a few hours. Get a pinlock or antifog visor.

You can ride on snow, it's not as bad as ice. Just take it easy.

---cb550---

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2008, 09:39:08 am »

What part of KC, Mo do you live in?  I used to date a girl there from Raytown.  Spent a few months going back and forth between Illinois and Mo to chase her. 

I live near Worlds of Fun on the north side of town, when I was a cable tv contractor I had the best quality control checks by comcast in Independence and was able score(steal) work from cable contractors out in raytown, it has nice neighborhoods in some areas and some others you couldn't leave the truck without locking everything down or it would be gone when you got back to the truck, even ladders.  I too have had my fun with raytown women, their kinda nutty out there.
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2008, 09:49:38 am »
Interesting tips. I've used a pinlock in my helmet for a while, it works better than anything else. It's impossible to fog it up. Get the real thing, not some cheaper brand.

I'll have to try picking one up then. I am getting a bit tired of having the breath guard squishing my face when I take my helmet off.

Sorry, this is probably a really dumb question, but what is the best way to was a bike in freezing weather. Obviously hosing it down on the lawn is out. I have a garage that I can use, but I really can't get water everywhere in there. So what are some tips or tricks for this?

Thanks,

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »
Years ago I had a friend who would steamclean everything from his plowtruck to atv's to his streetbike.  It got everything off without leaving lots of water everywhere.  There are some pretty cheap steamcleaners available these days, I might pick one up to degrease my frame and behind that front sprocket cover....

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2008, 08:01:09 am »
Alan, do you mean like the ones they use to steam the wrinkles out of clothes? That is an idea, and what little water gets on the garage floor would be easy to wipe up. Can you give me an example of what kind of cleaner you mean?

Thanks

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2008, 08:09:43 am »
I think he probably means a pressure washer, but I could be wrong...thenidea is the same, end result much less wastewater to clean up than the alternative. High pressure steam with possibility to add detergent of some sort. I would just take precautions with all sensitive areas ie electrical, engine openings, etc...
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker
70 750K0 motor-Dick in a Box

Offline my78k

• I am Meat-O of the Hungry Horses MC
  • Old Timer

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2008, 10:09:54 am »
That little thing? Looks like a hair dryer...
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker

Offline my78k

• Old Timer
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2008, 10:13:57 am »
Yeah I know...bit of a bad example. It was just one I had seen in my local Canadaian tire flyer. They make larger versions....but actually those little things do a great job getting crap off the frame and nooks and crannies etc.

Dennis

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2008, 10:59:50 am »
OK, now I am seriously interested. I did a quick search in google, and found a huge number of different ones from industrial to ones that look a little to flimsy for my tastes. So I decided to check one of my favorite bargain tool places, Harbor Freight and found this guy:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=8823

It looks like it would be pretty versatile. The price is a bit high, but if it will do a great job of cleaning, then it would be worth it. Does anyone have any specific model they would suggest? Will these things help get the chain grease off back tires? I assume you just point it at what you want cleaned and the steam and heat make it real easy to wipe up? Sorry if I am being a bit thick, just trying to understand how this is used.

Thanks,

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2008, 11:43:27 am »
Forget all that...see below

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=248622-348-020316&lpage=none

3000 psi, 8ft/lb of torque, hd axial cam, 190cc & it runs on gas
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:45:05 am by moham »
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker

Offline my78k

• Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2008, 11:50:03 am »
3000 PSI can be a little hard on paint  ;)

Actually the trick with a steamer is tell the wife you are buying it so that you can remove that wall paper she has been bugging about in the bathroom! That way it doesn't count under your tool budget!!!

I admittedly have not used it much on the bike as I borrowed my sister in laws but the little bit I did it did a great job lifting the grime!

Dennis

P.S. I did have to use it to peel wallpaper in the bathroom and it did a heck of a job!!

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2008, 03:24:08 pm »
No not a pressure washer, I'd have said "pressure washer"....

Check this out   http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-Eureka_hand_held_350_Steam_Cleaner_Vacuum/content_59026804356

My friend had built his own, it looked like a propane fired pressure cooker, with a wand like a pressure washer, and a spot to attach your air hose to. 

here's some reading   http://www.avianweb.com/steamcleaners.htm

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2008, 03:34:08 pm »
No not a pressure washer, I'd have said "pressure washer"....

but I could be wrong...

In any case, you create steam under pressure and release it, right? I guess the only thing that's different is the scale and amount of pressure.

But as I said:

I could be wrong...

78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2008, 04:38:52 pm »
All appologies offered, maybe I should have put some goofy smileys in there to prove that I wasn't trying to be a cranky, old, so and so...
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

PEACE DUDE!

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2008, 04:56:39 pm »
PEACE DUDE!

Right on. [insert conciliatory emoticon here]
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker

Offline manjisann

• Master
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2008, 07:18:35 pm »
Moham, those pressure washer are awesome for removing stuff, but don't know that I want to use one in a garage  ;D
Plus, I am sure it would remove what little paint my poor bike still has. We used one on my dads work truck back in the day, and quickly had to stop. It removed the dirt very well, but took the paint with it. He actually used to use it to clean parking lots.

I am going to have to give some serious thought to one of these, probably even use it in the summer to get my bike squeaky clean  :D

Brandon

1980 CB650 Custom

Offline moham

• .fnord.
  • Expert
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2008, 09:04:48 pm »
Yea, I was just having a bit of fun with the whole pressure washer business. I actually use a toothbrush and a spray bottle. And I don't bother washing any of my vehicles in winter (and only rarely in summer).
78 750K-The Ocho
74 550-The Cherry Picker

Offline Alan F.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2008, 08:01:08 am »
I'm gonna look into a cheap steamer, I've got my bike apart anyway and I've been procrastinating...the gunk is pretty thick on my 20K mile K3.  it hasn't seen street duty since '99 so I have a job ahead of me.