Author Topic: inexpensive carburetor cleaning tools.  (Read 19981 times)

eldar

Re: inexpensive carburetor cleaning tools.
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 06:37:15 am »
Ahh but now go to hong kong and see how well you do! ;) It is all relative.

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 12:15:44 pm »
Ahh but now go to hong kong and see how well you do! ;) It is all relative.

Common sense tells me not to go to Hong Kong or Baghdad or a few other places. 
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

eldar

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 06:21:53 am »
But is that common sense or fear? Sometimes fear can be disguised ;)

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 07:02:13 am »
Fear is a natural thing that keeps one from doing stupid things.  For instance, mammals are born with an instinctual fear of falling.  Therefore, they don't fall in most occasions.  I am afraid of road rash and bashing my brain pan to pieces, therefore, I use ATTGATT.  Small fish are afraid of bigger fish.  Fear is used for many things to motivate one to "not" do something.  It is part of a survival instinct.  Panic is not.

"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

eldar

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 07:34:09 am »
Exactly but how often is fear actually called common sense?  My whole point is that common sense is relative. What some see as common sense is only common to them. For example, when walking behind a horse, where do you walk? Right behind them, a foot or 2 or out of leg range?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 07:40:34 am »
But all those things are learned , often at a cost, the hard way.

Take Silicone for example..
4 out of 5  users on bike, find out the true meaning of SPARINGLY, only after people point out that it should not be bulging outside the cover it was used on, or when they come on here, asking why their cam is hooped. :o

Same with carbs.
 Some dont realize that they are delicate, so they get someting into a jet, and give er.... and think more is better than just a little bit.. :o

They learn the hard way, AFTER the fact....human nature..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

eldar

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 08:19:09 am »
EXACTLY most of what people consider common sense is things they have learned which may not be that common.

BTW, you can walk either right behind the horse or out of leg reach. In the middle is where you get pounded.

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 11:16:39 am »
EXACTLY most of what people consider common sense is things they have learned which may not be that common.

BTW, you can walk either right behind the horse or out of leg reach. In the middle is where you get pounded.
Common sense would tell me to get on the horse, instead of walking. That's what they're for.
In the matter of learned vs. inherent I will concede to a learned aspect.  I have learned many things the hard way, as we all have, but I think, relating to some more than others, that there is a predisposition to possessing certain abilities to deduct the outcome of ones actions.  If you use a sawzall to clean your toilet your are going to make a splash.  Some people don't get things like that.  They lack common sense, whereas, a person using a toilet brush knows the difference.
Regarding fear, I believe that it is another component of common sense.  It is called common sense to think about your moves when walking behind a horse but the reason you even have to think about such things is that you watched your Uncle Bart take a pair of horseshoes to the midsection and he was pissing blood for a few days before he underwent emergency surgery for a ruptured spleen among other things.
I don't use excessive force with my guitar strings because I'm afraid to have to buy new carbs.
The inherent fear of certain things is why we come up with these little rules called common sense.
Some folks don't have that fear and then they do dumb things, like wallow out their jet with a roto-zip.  I guess the bottom line is to not be afraid to work on your bike as long as you maintain a fear of messing it up.  Does that make sense?  ???

eldar

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 12:41:10 pm »
It is all still relative. Some people have never even seen a sawzall yet they know exactly what plants and such you can eat and such.

Do you stick a paperclip in an outlet? Of course not but people would not know that unless they have either been told not to or have done it yet.  ( I think some hair styles require this)

But regardless, what is common depends on what you know.

Btw, what if your toilet was an outhouse? A sawzall MIGHT be useful! ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 02:13:19 pm by eldar, Master of the K8 Thunder! »