Author Topic: Nighttime visibility  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
Nighttime visibility
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:22:51 pm »
I recently had received a scrap piece of Scotchlite sign making material in white, and thougt of a use for it on my helmet.  First cutting it into 3/16" strips and applying it to my helmet at various locations.  It's nice since it doesn't contrast with my silver helmet, but they offer several other colore, including black which reflects back a golden color when hit by the headlights.
1st pic: starting in the front, center and worked around the sides along the bottom edge.
2nd pic: side view with the reflective stuff along the edge of the visor.
3rd pic: rear shot
Stay visible, people!
Steve F
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:28:11 pm by Steve F »

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
Re: Nighttime visibility
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 06:19:10 pm »
Very Nice. And where would someone pick up something like that?
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

"Keep moving forward, until you can no longer move" KP

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:11:19 pm »
You can but a roll in most hardware stores. Red or White seem to be the color choices.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Steve F

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:52:34 pm »
Very Nice. And where would someone pick up something like that?
Just about any shop that does truck lettering should have some scraps laying around.  My daughter used her FISKARS craft paper cutter to cut it into strips for me.

Offline audiofile

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:59:38 pm »
i like the Honda sticker, could use some reflective tape like that too. i wonder how well people can see me from behind in the dark. how about getting one of those Honda stickers for mine.
78 750k

Offline Steve F

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 03:57:12 am »
i like the Honda sticker, could use some reflective tape like that too. i wonder how well people can see me from behind in the dark. how about getting one of those Honda stickers for mine.
My wife found those decals at the local Honda stealer dealer for like $4 for a pack of 5 a while back, but they're not reflective.  If you want one for a buck or so, PM me. I have a couple left.

Offline Sporkfly

• The frosty rider
  • Hot Shot
  • Mmm, Guinness
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:39:50 am »
I ordered this:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/418/16955/ITEM/Icon-Squad-II-Mil-Spec-Pack.aspx

Really well constructed and excellent compartments, well thought out pack overall. Reflective on all sides, bright freakin' orange. Can't go wrong... And yet I've had people pull out in front of me every single freaking day I've ridden this year DURING THE DAY.
1977 CB550K
1979 GL1000 - Current project, winter '09-'10
1979 CX500
1976 Suzuki GT500 Titan

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:11:50 pm »
Really well constructed and excellent compartments, well thought out pack overall. Reflective on all sides, bright freakin' orange. Can't go wrong... And yet I've had people pull out in front of me every single freaking day I've ridden this year DURING THE DAY.

Not suprising.  People pull out in front of me almost every time I drive my car somewhere, too.  It's not necessarily that they don't see you, it's a combination of the fact that many of them don't really look and don't really care. 

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 05:30:14 pm »

Not suprising.  People pull out in front of me almost every time I drive my car somewhere, too.  It's not necessarily that they don't see you, it's a combination of the fact that many of them don't really look and don't really care. 

+2

But you try anyway. >:(
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?