Author Topic: Tank badge restore  (Read 9323 times)

JasonLester

Tank badge restore
« on: November 10, 2008, 12:30:41 pm »
I guess this should go here.

Since I have my CB650 running pretty go I decided to pretty it up a little. Being cheap I like fixing things as inexpensively as I can. So I decided to Give a shot redoing my tank badges. They looked ok but much of the black was chipped off and I decided I didn't like it.

So I took them off, worked off any loose paint, taped them up and trimmed off the tape where I wanted paint. This part is a bit aggravating. If you don't have a sharp xacto blade you can forget it. I also used clear tape so I could see where I needed to trim. It would have been nice if this wasn't the perfectly clear tape. But I made due.

Then I took a can of black gloss (because I had it already) And sprayed it all good. I probably should have used a primer first or a black primer. I had the gloss stuff so we'll see. and I guess I can always redo them if it starts to come off. After waiting a while for it to dry it should look like this.

Then simply use you knife blade and get under the tape and peel it away. Make sure to peel off all the little pieces and it should look a bunch better than it started. Maybe not factory perfect but no one looks that close anyway.
If you get paint where it shouldn't be it's pretty easy to scrape off until its fully cured.

End result

So what do you think.

Offline imamotohead

• Nuthin a little duct tape won't fix!?!
Re: Tank badge restore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 02:31:23 pm »
Nicely done sir!! :)
Here today, gone tomorrow.  Make the most of today!

Offline texaninseattle

• lots of protein in my
  • Enthusiast
  • OHH Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:30:46 pm »
was wondering how i was going to do that for mine...thanks
1978 Cb550k(Sold)
emgo pods
mac 4-1
105 mains
stock pilots
needles set 1 step richer than stock
IMS 2 turns out
1982 Suzuki GS850g

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 04:56:25 pm »
Looks good! Post a follow-up on durability down the road.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline DollarBill

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 05:20:32 pm »
Nice work on that bra....oh....I'm sorry I lost my train of thought watching texaninseatle's avatar.  Where is the larger version of THAT!

By the way I used model paint on my emblems and they turned out great.
1975 CB750F Project Yellow Jacket - CBR600rr Swinger GSXR 600 Forks
1955 BMW R25/3, 1966 Honda CA160, 1975 CB400f, 1975 CB550, 1976 CB550

JasonLester

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 05:26:16 pm »
Nice work on that bra....oh....I'm sorry I lost my train of thought watching texaninseatle's avatar.  Where is the larger version of THAT!

By the way I used model paint on my emblems and they turned out great.

glad I'm not the only one LOL

Offline dustyc

• I don't know why anyone would call me an
  • Expert
  • 1977 CB750K
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 05:31:39 pm »
I chucked my K7 tank badges into some carb cleaner to melt off the old chipped paint(didn't effect the finish of the metal), then sprayed with black Rustoleum.  Once they're not tacky and can be handled, but before fully cured, I used a Q-tip and some thinner to mop off the tops of the letters.  

1977 CB750

JasonLester

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 05:56:41 pm »
I chucked my K7 tank badges into some carb cleaner to melt off the old chipped paint(didn't effect the finish of the metal), then sprayed with black Rustoleum.  Once they're not tacky and can be handled, but before fully cured, I used a Q-tip and some thinner to mop off the tops of the letters.  

Oh sure now you tell me. LOL

Offline dp2275

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 06:12:01 pm »
heres mine:

took a 'paint removal' abrasive wheel to the emblems.  wiped them down with thinner to remove all grease and painted with semi-gloss exhaust paint and baked them.  then i sanded down the raised edges.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 07:28:03 pm »
I chucked my K7 tank badges into some carb cleaner to melt off the old chipped paint(didn't effect the finish of the metal), then sprayed with black Rustoleum.  Once they're not tacky and can be handled, but before fully cured, I used a Q-tip and some thinner to mop off the tops of the letters. 

To make that process a bit easier, I used an Easter Egg crayon and wiped the paint right off.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 12:03:23 pm »
I'm doing the same thing with some tank badges at the moment, and discovered that if I drop them in a jar of acetone, all the OEM paint just washes right off, and as they're a nice cross-hatched pattern with unfaded gold plating, I might not paint them at all, or I might reverse them so the letters are painted, and the background is just shiny gold. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 05:41:47 pm »
I'm doing the same thing with some tank badges at the moment, and discovered that if I drop them in a jar of acetone, all the OEM paint just washes right off, and as they're a nice cross-hatched pattern with unfaded gold plating, I might not paint them at all, or I might reverse them so the letters are painted, and the background is just shiny gold. Cheers, Terry. ;D
Nice idea Terry, could look nice. If not, back to the acetone.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 12:22:34 am »
That's it Bobby, only me and that ol' can of Acetone will ever know...........  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

JasonLester

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 05:08:02 am »
I was a little afraid of what the solvents would do to the finish of the badge so I did it my way. I'm glad I posted this now as if these don't hold up I'll redo them a little different.

Thanks

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 07:08:24 pm »
I was a little afraid of what the solvents would do to the finish of the badge so I did it my way. I'm glad I posted this now as if these don't hold up I'll redo them a little different.

Thanks
This club is about collective intellegence.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 03:08:53 am »

Thanks

Yep, if you add up all of our IQ's, we're about as intelligent as the average potato................... ;D

JasonLester

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 04:53:22 am »
Thats funny!!! ;D

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 06:46:17 am »

Thanks

Yep, if you add up all of our IQ's, we're about as intelligent as the average potato................... ;D

We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

upperlake04

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 08:40:13 am »

JasonLester

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 06:10:18 pm »
Thats a nice pictoral. Those turned out nice.

I knew there would be a bunch of different ways to do it. I thought about hand painting them but I knew I'd probably mess it up. So I figured I could tape and spray easier than getting into the small spots with the brushes I had. Sure I could have went and got the stuff and hand painted it but I had the tape, paint, and xacto knife... So being cheap ...LOL I did it my way. maybe not perfect but not bad.

jsaab2748

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 07:16:17 pm »
Anyone ever tried a flow pencil? Google it for a description.
Looks a little pricey, but just throwin it out there..

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...

Offline XN

• Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 09:37:41 pm »
I plan on powder coating mine this winter. I'll be sure to take lots of picture for you guys  ;)
78 Honda CB750K
02 Yamaha V-star 650
02 Honda VTX 1800

thepartyjerk

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 07:47:59 pm »
  These are all great ideas guys. My emblems have some nicks and scratches on them, are these save to sand ?