Author Topic: My first rigid build up  (Read 9960 times)

Offline rachet

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB750 F2
Re: My first rigid build up
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 06:05:47 pm »
Just a friendly little bump to keep track of a great build~

It's looking good my friend, looking real good.

Rachet~
But I need Tacos!  I need them or I will explode!

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 06:41:52 pm »
Thanks for the bump ;) I just went on a mini Ebay binge and picked up some new grips, pull cable >:( (to replace the one i got earlier that i can't seem to make work), and a set of pods for it too.  This to go along with the chrome headlight mounting ears, headlight visor and 120 main jets I have on order from cycle-re-cycle. 

I'm hoping to have lots of parts piled up so that when the fab work is done I have all the rest of the parts i need right at my feet ready to put on.  I think it will make things go much faster ;D.  Still have more to get, but I want to get further along before I buy more (just playing it safe).

Travis
Forum member #9962

I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everthing. 

If your not first, your last - Ricky Bobby

1992 GL1500 Interstate

73 CB750 Bobber Project (Always an on going project) Sold
71 CL350 Scrambler Project (Done and riding it) Sold
78 CB750 F3 Super Sport with F 0 engine (Current project)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2009, 07:40:48 pm »
That 1/2 inch plate is not the best idea ....way too thick to be put on that tubing, it will just concentrate even more stress in that area.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 06:37:44 pm »
Well we made a pretty good amount of progress on Saturday.  We got the fuel tank mounted (which was pretty tricky), and got the fittings put in the oil tank.  But now it could be sometime before we work again (Fabricator just bought a house so we have a lot to do at the house), but I might give the tanks to his welder Ben and let him finish them so I can keep making progress. 

The frame still is not done but I'm not all that worried about it until I get some of the other details worked out first.

So now it's on to finding the rest of the parts I need and try to finish in time for the good weather.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:39:33 pm by Trav-i »
Forum member #9962

I don't know a lot about anything, but I know a little about practically everthing. 

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 11:10:06 am »
Just thought I'd stop in and give my poor dead thread a little bump.  I have finally gotten around to working on my wheels.  I now have them unlaced and ready for paint (altough I broke a spoke taking them a part last night >:().  Hopefully I can have them back together this weekend.  I'm also gonna get my exhaust mocked up too this weekend.  Next weekend I'm going to make some serious progress Fabricator said were gonna work all weekend on our bikes to get them ready for the summer :).  If all goes well this week I'll be ready for next week.
Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 02:50:57 pm »
Well just a little update...  I sent my hoops and hubs out to powder coat on Thursday, and hope to have them back early next week.  They are going to semi-gloss black and I painted the spokes a dark pewter color ( I think it will look good all laced up).  Also I finally got my exhaust mocked in place now all I need to do is cut all the tubes to the same length and then make my extensions.  Thats all for now folks, as soon as i get my wheels back I will have some pics up.
Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 03:55:36 pm »
It's time for a new update...  I have finally finished lacing my wheels and they look pretty good so now I'm in the process of finding some good tires at a good price (if anyone knows of a good place let me know).

Here is the front wheel

Here is the rear wheel

Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 05:39:41 pm »
the best prices i found were at denniskirk.

Offline Calflash

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2009, 01:47:43 pm »
Where do you find premade hard tails for 650's?
Calflash
US Army
Nam 66-67
80 CB650

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 06:10:55 pm »
Well since I haven't posted much lately I thought an update is in order.  I have since gotten my wheels finished (trued and new tires put on), gotten most of the remaining frame welds done, and gotten most of the wiring done.  I still have a few thigs left such as exhaust, frame gussets (which I just cut today, and will get installed on Saturday), fuel and oil tanks, brakes front and rear, and just some small other stuff and then I'll be ready for a whole new set of problems.  What new problems you may ask?  The one associated with a questionable engine, I know it runs but that's about it.  So with the first rides coming up quickly I anticipate some new problems.  As soon as I get some picture worthy things completed I 'll get em posted.

Travis
Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 06:37:42 pm »
As I said when I made good progress I would post pics for all to see.  And this weekend I managed to get some good progress made.  First of a couple of weeks ago I got one of Fabricators' welders to help with my tanks and frame thanks to him those are now done.  Also Fabricator gave me some help last weekend and got the seat pan mounted, redesigned my rear brake strut idea, and welded my lower frame gussets in as well.

So now I'm down to the nitty gritty, and small details.  I'm hoping this upcoming weekend will be just as productive as the last, if it is then my bike should be rooling in the next few weeks.

Here is the finaly weld out the rare axle adjusters

Also here are the lower frame gussets

Here is the seat pan

Also here is the rear brake strut

And this last pic I shot today with the exhaust pipes on.  Now mind you I just got the extensions yesterday so I have not cut them to length yet.  For anyone who want to know they are going to be cut off somewhere near the rear axle, and no they won't be open pipes I plan to make some hidden baffles for them (they just run so much better with a small restriction).

Travis

Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 11:37:53 pm »
The project is coming along good.

Idea - why not bend the pipes at a 45 about half way back?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline MJL

• Don't listen to me, I'm no
  • Expert
  • Oh hell, what's one more bike?
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2009, 10:45:51 am »

As for the welds at the bottom of the frame there actually well and strong.  The tubing was just plain rusty down there so it gave him some real fits, but I trust his work with a welder more then anyone elses' (this is what he does for a living). 

He builds stuff for a living, but neglected to grind off the rust?  Half of a good weld is the prep before the weld.
No matter how fast or how far I rode, I couldn't leave her memory behind.

Offline Fabricator

• Enthusiast
    • crmfabrication.com
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2009, 07:15:54 pm »
MJL,

The fact that the mill scale was not ground off outside the weld, down the tube, or other unnecessary areas, does not mean it was not ground sufficiently where the weld covers; as it was.  Bear in mind that forum/web photos do not always display enough information to make accurate judgment, or judgmental remarks.  Also bear in mind that 0.045" wire from a CP300 running at 26vdc with 98/2 shield does not really need the tube "polished". Especially when welding  0.125" material ( It will make the back of fillets on 1/4" plate glow in a single pass at that setting).  The concern about grinding off rust and scale is a major issue when you are dealing with thin stock, or heavy scale on thick material, or a high current density process such as GTAW (tig), or a brazed joint....

Fabricator
"When in doubt, gas it. This; to be honest, doesn't always solve the problem, but at least it ends the suspense." (Mark Gardiner from "Riding Man.")

Life is too short to dance with ugly girls.....

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2009, 07:27:35 pm »
Why did the gusset on the lower part of the frame not go over that cut & welded (rather than bent) part of the frame where it angles up?

The twist in the brake arm exceeds recomended bend radius for 6061 Aluminum.. hope you used at least that for material.. if not stronger.
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline DollarBill

• Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 08:39:32 pm »
My thoughts exactly 754.  It sure seems those gussets need to span the area where that joint is.  That's the vulnerable part......you made the area right next to the joint stronger so won't the forces be even greater on the joint itself?  Just a guess....
1975 CB750F Project Yellow Jacket - CBR600rr Swinger GSXR 600 Forks
1955 BMW R25/3, 1966 Honda CA160, 1975 CB400f, 1975 CB550, 1976 CB550

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 08:54:19 pm »
Well I was able to make some more progress today, the oil tank is finally mounted and leak checked (no leaks found), and the electrical panel was mounted (although so modifications are needed).  Also I finally got my new brake shoes installed, and rebuilt the front caliper and got it put back on. 

So now hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to get my bike running again.  Then it's on to the small details, then on to the test rides.  As soon as I get back to the shop I'll get some pictures of the most recent progress.

Travis
Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline Beans

• I play with grease every day.
  • Hot Shot
  • 1975 cb550f
    • bean's place.
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2009, 01:21:21 am »
is the bottom tube bent or is it cut and welded?  doesn't seem to be strong in my book.   would hate to hit a pothole on the freeway.
Keep it shinny side up.

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2009, 10:20:36 am »
The bottom tube is cut and welded.  However when we cut the original frame off we left the bottom tube intact.  We never actually cut in to the bottom tube we just welded the new section on to it.  The gusset will be more then sufficent, all it needed to do was shift load to other parts of the frame and away from that joint.  If I didn't trust Fabricator I surely would not have let him do this.  His back ground with custom repairs, and prototyping has given him more then enough skills to do this.

Plus this is not the first frame someone in the shop has built, as one of his other employees built a frame for his sportster from the ground up from a pile of tubing.  So we might just have an idea about what were doing here.

Anyways as always thanks for checking out my thread,  I'll hopefully have some picures up soon of the oil tank and electrical panel.

Travis
Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2009, 06:05:38 pm »
Excellent, Glad to see another oil tank build going on too.  Those are always very cool to watch and very inspirational too.  Please get some good photos of your oil tank build as well as your plans for hiding the electricals, I'm particularly interested in these aspects of your build.

And I hope riding it really does mess with your local harley guys.  ;)

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2009, 06:17:44 pm »
Well I made some big steps forward along with a few back as well.  Today I finished the electrical on my bike, and finally got the chance to run it today. :)  However after letting it idle for a few minutes I decided to check to make sure the charging system was working, and much to my dismay it's not charging. :'(  Oh well thought I could get a way with using the parts the bike had on it, guess it's off to get a new all in one regulator rectifier (might as well bring it in to the the 21 century ;))

Also I rebuilt my first master cylinder today.  The one I bought for my bike was not pumping fluid, so after a quick rebuild and reinstallation I'm still at square one.  But I already figured out what I did wrong so back to the shop tomorrow to correct it.

So hopefully I'll have some new pics and more progress next week.

Travis
Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2009, 03:55:25 pm »
Well here's an update on my most recent progress.  I finally got my alternator to charge 14.4 volts at idle with no major change when load is applied.  Also with it charging now I was able to set the dwell, but because the timing light is on loan I was not able to set the timing.  Also have a minor fit problem with the battery and the oil hoses, so off to the local hot rod shop to get more an fittings and line.  Also got the front brake functional as well.  So as it stands right now I'm still in the minor details mode, along with test and tune for the engine.

Here are a few pics of the electrical panel for those that wanted to see what we came up with.  Mind you it went through 3 revisions befor it got to where it is now.  Enjoy.

P.S.  Yes that is an all in one rectifier and regulator from Oregon Motorcycle parts.  That is the best $125 dollars I have spent so far.  Also I know the wiring looks bad right now, but now that it all works I'm going to pull the harness and make it right.  I also forgot to get a pic of the warning lights I put in for neutral and oil pressure, I'll do it tomorrow.

Travis
Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2009, 09:54:30 pm »
Why not put the welded seam  UNDER the oil bucket ???
dodogas99@gmail.com

Offline rachet

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB750 F2
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2009, 04:22:03 pm »
Clever placement for the electrics and I really like the overall stance of the bike.  Very mean looking.  What tank did you use?

Rach-
But I need Tacos!  I need them or I will explode!

Offline Trav-i

• Has finally become an
  • Expert
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2009, 06:10:24 pm »
Sorry guys I've sort of forgotten about my thread here so here is a little update.  I have been doing some test and tune rides lately and things are progressing nicely.  The head gasket was leaking so the top end was rebuilt and a new clutch with Vesrah springs was also added.  It actually rides really well, it tracks really nice with minimal wandering.  The 4-4 exhaust was taken off in lew of a custom 4-2 using a set of factory headers a set of mac collectors and home made glass packs by Fabricator, it has given me a lot more ground clearence and sounds awesome.

After a photo shoot at the end of the week I am going to strip it down for paint and powder coat.  I will probably be making some small changes as it goes back together.

Here are a few Pics

First is the new exhaust

The most recent pic I have

Rachet that is a Harley Sportster fuel tank.
Forum member #9962

1992 GL1500 Interstate