Author Topic: Wiring/frame drilling  (Read 1403 times)

Markcb750

Wiring/frame drilling
« on: November 17, 2008, 05:31:16 pm »
I want to add some hardware to hold the wiring at the head bearing. 

Has anyone had any experience with frame breaking on a CB750-K2 to K6?

If so do you have pictures so I might evaluate the failure and any impact I might have with what I am planing.

Had I not just painted the frame.. I would weld on what I want, if wishes were fishes...

KingCustomCycles.com

Re: Wiring/frame drilling
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 05:40:42 pm »
I have seen holes drilled in all sorts of places on SOHC frames with no cracking problems.  The possibility certainly exists however, in a ny stressed steel tube structure.  You could scrape, weld, and then brush touchup the srea.  I have done this with good results.

Markcb750

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:42:40 pm »
Thanks for your input King.

Welding may be best, I also hate to drill holes in stressed members, not as delicate as a bicycle frame, but... 

This is why I asked for failed frame pictures, they would allow me to see how that heavy gusset behaves when over stressed.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 03:35:00 am »
I sorta agree with King.....but that being said....I don't remember a topic specifically complaining of a frame failure.

Suckers are rather overbuilt.

I have a couple that have been rather shall we say...abused ... ;)

I've thrashed some bearings and put a dent in a fender.....but I haven't had a frame crack yet....
Stranger in a strange land

Markcb750

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 03:47:42 am »
I did a search on "frame break" & "frame crack" no results...a good indication as to the integrity of Honda's frame as it is built.

Online bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 08:45:55 am »
Only one i ever saw broke had been driven over by a D5
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!