Author Topic: True Gold paint and Gold Leafing  (Read 2274 times)

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
True Gold paint and Gold Leafing
« on: November 15, 2008, 03:54:04 pm »
yes I have the real thing and a fair amount of it. My mother was a caligrapher and had alot of supplies left over.
The paint is a water based paint, dilute with water and paint. The leaf has to be guilded on. My question is who has done this on a cafe or knows how to use it on tins?
I may also sell some of it is there is an interest.
I have about 40 packets of gold leaf with I assume about 25-30 sheets 3"x3" in each packet.
The gold paint I have about 36 containers.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
Re: True Gold paint and Gold Leafing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:37:28 am »
I've done silver....
Stranger in a strange land

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:18:57 am »
ghost, can you post pictures. What was the procedure?

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 11:50:05 am »
Any sign painter or truck lettering shop that's worth anything should be able to help you with the gold leaf sizing, and how to apply it.

Offline Sporkfly

• The frosty rider
  • Hot Shot
  • Mmm, Guinness
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:01:27 pm »
1977 CB550K
1979 GL1000 - Current project, winter '09-'10
1979 CX500
1976 Suzuki GT500 Titan

Offline ieism

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 02:01:11 pm »
I do this for a living (guilding). But i'm an a mobilephone now as i'm on a trip. If you have questions you can email me info@ivareisma.nl
---cb550---

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:46:44 pm »
ghost, can you post pictures. What was the procedure?

Pictures in  the bike of the month winners gallery....thats how I made my stripes.

ALso in the gallery.

Its pretty straight forward...just takes patience.

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 09:37:33 am »
Kghost, can you get a close up on the tank please. Thanks! ANdrew

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 11:26:51 am »

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 11:45:27 am »
Great pics! Thanks for the fast response. Did you do the leafing yourself? If you dont mind could you explain the process. I saw a video on youtube with a artist who painted on this adhesive and then simply layed the gold on. Is this right? Is the silver under the clearcoat?

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 11:54:47 am »
Great pics! Thanks for the fast response. Did you do the leafing yourself? If you dont mind could you explain the process. I saw a video on youtube with a artist who painted on this adhesive and then simply layed the gold on. Is this right? Is the silver under the clearcoat?

Yeah I did it myself.

Yup thats it. I had to use stripe tape with the adhesive with the Silver.

Gold is easier to work in my opinion. Less prone to tearing and flaking...a bit more ductile.

Many airbrush the edges and detail after application....I thought about pinstriping the edges but left it natural.

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 12:06:58 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me the name of the adhesive you used please. Is there really a difference in the gold used for a tank. I see that people like to use 23k instead of 14k or 18k. Difference? I may end up pinstripping or keeping it raw.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 12:18:32 pm »
I do striping and leafing work, but I am semi-retired from it now since I am no longer the slacker I was in my 20's with the free time to do this side work and need to actually make a living.

There is a big difference between caligrapher's leaf and stuff you would use on an automotive application today. I don't know what your paint intentions are but for anything that you are not going to clear over I would recommend you go with the more modern gold vynils for sheer durability. If you are planning to clear over it while painting then it really doesn't make a difference (although the vynil is machine cut and generally cleaner). Exposed leaf is kinda durable but over time will flake and rub through if not cleared over, plus it can dull over time through exposure to the elements.

The gold paint stuff you have is useless to you, it will be incompatible with just about any automotive paint you want to use.

If you are like every other guy in NY that parks his bike on the street then I don't recommending leafing it at all. 
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 12:52:07 pm »
Why wouldnt you park it on the street Geeto? I am going to paint, leaf and then clear. Not going to leave it exposed. I will probably end up giving the paint to a friend who does furniture resto.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 01:40:55 pm »
Why wouldnt you park it on the street Geeto? I am going to paint, leaf and then clear. Not going to leave it exposed. I will probably end up giving the paint to a friend who does furniture resto.

Well, if you cover the  bike the constant rubbing of the cover in the wind on exposed gold leaf will wear it down pretty quick. Add that to the airborne contaminants that make breathing in NY like smoking a pack a day, the acid rain, the little ghetto kids that put their hands and other things all over your bike, The salt NYC uses on the roads in the winter, and the errant parkers who think a motorcycle is ok to bump like a car is ok to bump and you can see this is a harsher enviornment than most for this kind of paint exposure. You don't see a lot of gold leaf on signs anymore round here for a lot of the same reasons - the pollution eats it. A lot of the industry has made the big shift to vynil. NYC is a rough enviornment for a bike, espically one that is outside 24/7. I cut my chops at a sign-o-rama and even some of the vynils peel after a certain number of years in this enviornment. 

Another thing to consider is gold leaf cannot be touched up easily, not as easily as paint anyway. You can't touch up vynil either but basically another $5 and you have an entirely new piece.

Personally, the stuff that holds up the best (as far as I have seen) exposed to the elements is one shot paint.  You can lay that on and it will hold pretty well, still susseptible to rubbing but hey everything is.

Why don't you talk a little bit more about what design you have in mind, what your goals are, and we can help guide you in the best way in accomplishing it.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 01:59:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies Geeto. I appreciate it. I came up with this idea simply for the reason, that I got the leaf for free and a decent amount of it. I am considering running a 2 stripes up the top of the tank and down the back of the cafe seat . Maybe a cafe spaid on the front fender. Paint the bike satin black, lay the gold and have the painter lay on a couple coats of clear. The bike would be stored indoors over the winter. Trying to get a garage for daily use.

What is the shade of black or paint code for the frame of the bike?

I understand that NYCs condition are not ideal for cars, bikes or really anything at that. If I can get 3-4 years from the paint I will be happy. I would probably change my mind 100x in that time too.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 02:09:49 pm »
if you ever get the time to stop by I'll show you how to apply it.

Frame paint is whatever you want to use, I wouldn't worry about exact paint code and just go durable. If you are painting the whole frame then I would suggest powdercoating or at least a professionally sprayed imron. If you are looking to touch it up just a rustoleum gloss black should do the trick (or semi-gloss depending on how faded your frame is already).

A spade? really? that's gay (as in played out gay, not homo gay). Might as well do checkerboard stripes and write cafe all over it.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 02:16:32 pm »
hahaha that funny. I am new to this game my bad. I will make sure to vear away from the spade then. Thought about doing the checker thing. not sure though

Probably just stick with the 2 stripes, one wider than the other and probably staggered off to the side of tank. I am still tossing around ideas in my head of what I would like to see. Again will probably change my mind 10-15x before I actually do it.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 02:40:23 pm »
hahaha that funny. I am new to this game my bad. I will make sure to vear away from the spade then. Thought about doing the checker thing. not sure though

Probably just stick with the 2 stripes, one wider than the other and probably staggered off to the side of tank. I am still tossing around ideas in my head of what I would like to see. Again will probably change my mind 10-15x before I actually do it.

wanna know the best way to play around with paint schemes that doesn't involve photoshop? Go get a couple cans of chalkboard paint from home depot and a large set of colored chalk.

I was being sarcastic about the checkerboard and cafe as well....if you look around some of this stuff is just everywhere and saturating the hobby to the point where everytime I see another carpy copy I throw up a little in my mouth.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 04:46:54 pm »
I have a friend and a brother that are both graphic designers by trade, so I am going to ask their input as well. I hear you on following trends. I am not looking to follow the pack, more interested in making myself happy with my creation.
As for your chalkboard comment, that is not a bad Idea. I may buy a messed up tank, chalkboard paint it and then mess around with chalk and design.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2008, 12:25:09 am »
Several or more coats of clear will seal it nicely.

Offline cafe2be

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 04:36:15 am »
Kinda of figured that Kghost. Thanks. What is the name of the adhesive you used?

Just need to come up with the design now.

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 11:36:27 am »
Kinda of figured that Kghost. Thanks. What is the name of the adhesive you used?

Just need to come up with the design now.

Dunno the can is at home in Texas will look when I get back  ;)