Author Topic: 78 CB750K HIGH SPEED PROBLEMS  (Read 1063 times)

ocroble

78 CB750K HIGH SPEED PROBLEMS
« on: November 24, 2008, 04:51:45 pm »
I JUST BOUGHT MY 78 ABOUT A MONTH AGO FROM A LOCAL SHOP. IT'S BEEN RUNNING ALMOST PERFECT EXCEPT OCCASIONALLY AT HIGH SPEEDS IT WOULD KINDA BACKFIRE EVERY NOW AN THEN.

IVE BEEN DOING MORE HIGHWAY RIDING AND A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO IT JUST STARTED DECELERATING SO I PUT IT IN FOURTH GEAR AND TRIED TO ACCELERATE BUT NO RESPONSE...
SO I JUMP ON THE ACCESS ROAD AND IT KEPT DOING THE SAME THING FOR A COUPLE MILES AND THEN RETURNED TO NORMAL.

IT SEEMS TO ONLY DO THIS AFTER HITTING A HIGH SPEED FOR A WHILE AND MAYBE LIKE ITS NOT GETTING FUEL AT THESE TIMES.

THIS IS MY FIRST BIKE AND I REALLY DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT EM.

WAS HOPIN SOMEONE MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE COULD GIVE SOME SORT OF CLUE AS TO WHATS WRONG.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: 78 CB750K HIGH SPEED PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:02:49 pm »
I have the same bike and it acts like that when I need to switch to reserve. Check to see if your tank screen is clean. Also if you have an inline filter it may be clogged. You can also check you float bowl level. It is easy. Get a piece of clear tubing and connect it to the drain at the bottom, hold the open end up higher than the float bowl so you don't spill gas. Open the drain and see what level the gas rises to when you place the tube against the bowl. This way you can see the level without having to remove the bowl.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline shoemanII

• Enthusiast
  • just another bike nut
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 05:14:42 pm »
if this happens again, pull over and remove the gas cap.  if you hear a "whoosh" or "hiss", your tank vent is blocked.  you need a tank vent so your bike gets free-flowing fuel.
bobp
'96 ducati carb'd 900ss/cr 
'72 dt2
'77cb550k frankenberry:  '77cb550k frame, '78cb550k engine, '78cb550f tank, unknown front-end

eldar

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 06:48:48 am »
When I had this, it was either needing to switch to reserve or I had a small piece of crud in the carbs. When that happened, I pulled the choke and gunned it and it would sputter but then I let off and it blew out whatever was blocking things.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:35:50 am »
Bob W has it right whan he says. CARBS SUCK.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

eldar

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 09:09:12 am »
No FOUR carbs SUCk! ;D

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:25:40 am »
They said it all, even the sucky part  :P. Mine does the same thing after a few minutes when I shut the fuel off about a block or two away from home, this was when I didn't have it in pieces though......
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 09:53:50 am »
I guess when you look at all the comments everyone feels it is fuel starvation related. It could be a simple or not so simple fix.