Author Topic: Hardware Question  (Read 844 times)

Offline Venturous

• CB750 Hack Pilot
  • Enthusiast
    • eMotorcycling
Hardware Question
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:06:19 pm »
I am on the bikebandit.com webpage looking over the parts diagrams/list for the CB750 to make a shopping list of nuts, bolts, washers etc that I will need to get as I do my restoration. On the parts list, I keep seeing codes that apparently mean something but I don't know what.

For example, one bolt might be listed as:
BOLT, HEX. (8X40)

but another is:
BOLT, HEX. (8X40), A AC

Any idea what the A AC is telling me??

eMotorcycling
'72 CB750-K1 w/Spirit Eagle sidecar
'02 Royal Star Midnight Venture

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Hardware Question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 07:36:47 pm »
No exact answer, but some bolts may be stronger than others. I don't know which bolts you are describing, but the bolts that hole the main bearing bores together would (I think) be a higher grade than others for example. Using high tensile bolts in places where they are subject to some types of vibration load or shear  load is not recommended, so just using all grade 8 bolts isn't always the right answer.
The other possibilities are the bolt head profile and the threaded length. Some bolts have a washer-like shape under the head. Some have a short threaed portion and some have long threaded portions.
I would find where one of each type is in your bike and have a look at the one on it. If some PO hasn't mixed them up or changed bolts you may find whet the code means. If you do... let us know!