Author Topic: Replacing Front Break Switch (CB750)  (Read 863 times)

techdct

Replacing Front Break Switch (CB750)
« on: December 03, 2008, 04:04:20 pm »
My front break light switch seems to have quit working. I ordered a replacement part and now have that in hand. What is the procedure for replacing this part? Do  you have to drain out the front break fluid first? Can you get the switch out and back in without disassembling all the hoses? What's the best tool to use to get the switch to unscrew (it's brass). Am having trouble getting pliers to fit in the tight space and don't seem to have a wrench or socket big enough.

Any response would be appreciated.

Offline kach_me

• Hot Shot
Re: Replacing Front Break Switch (CB750)
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:40:28 pm »
Mine came out with pliers and in just as easy.  It's hooked into the brake system, so you'll have to bleed the air out when you're done replacing the switch.  Good luck!  This shouldn't be too bad of a fix for you. 
1976 CB 750K - Stock / No mods (yet).

Offline Kevin D

• Old Timer
  • SE Michigan
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 03:41:58 am »
techdct, my when brake light started acting up I found that the problem was a broken wire behind the push on connectors. Broken from 30 plus years of flexing. The jacket on the wire didn't break, just the copper strands inside. Worked intermittently. The switch was fine.

Have you used a meter for your troubleshooting? I saw a $10 stocking stuffer multimeter at Sears recently.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:45:54 pm by Kevin D »
71 CB750 K1
103,000 miles
Original Owner
———past———
70 SL100/125/150
70 Candy BlueGreen CB 750 K0
————————————————-
Former Honda parts kid/counter kid/do all
—————————————————————-
Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right
Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration

techdct

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:10 pm »
I think maybe mine is the broke wires as well. The switch did show it was open/closing power when I squezed the grip. So I bet my situation is the same as  yours. I am going to try to splice some new ends on and replug to existing switch first.

Thanks Guys.