Author Topic: Getting the engine out of the frame.  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Skunkmiester

• Enthusiast
Getting the engine out of the frame.
« on: December 04, 2008, 03:36:51 pm »
Hi,
I'll be looking at popping the engine out of the frame this weekend of my CB750 K3.

It looks simple enough but I would just like to check with you guys if there are any hidden traps that I should be aware of?

I just want to check the internals over before I get everything ready for next year, also want to see if I may be able to breath on it a bit for racing next year.

Also, the crankcases are painted silver with black at the front, should these be polished or painted? I may get the cases bead blasted aswell.

Thanks in advance.
1973 CB 750 Cafe Racer
1992 (original) Fireblade

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Re: Getting the engine out of the frame.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:46:32 pm »
Well.....it seems the prevailing method is to take everything off and lay the frame/motor on the side and
lift the frame off the engine....I was able to get mine out with an engine lift and some rope...

There is a ton of info on this site concerning engine removal - do a quick search and you'll find everything and
more than you'll ever want to know.

Cases are usually silver paint, covers were lightly polished and cleared with some magic Honda paint.

Good luck
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:51:29 pm »
At the lower rear engine mount, there is what looks like a washer welded to the frame on the inside of the frame mount.  Grind this washer down flat to the level of the "tube" - remove the area contained by the red line (looks like I needed a drink before I drew that).  It prevents your engine from getting "stuck" in the frame on the way in and out.  Thanks to HondaMan for this tip. 

I was able to grind it down before I removed the engine by completely detaching the engine from the frame and lifting it a bit.  This gave me enough clearance to get a die grinder with a small cylindrical stone in there to "flatten the top" without damaging the engine. 

It hasn't happened to me, but I have heard that if you get your engine wedged just right, the only way out is with a sawzall (YIKES!).  This small mod prevents that situation and makes the in/out easier to boot. 

Like GreenJeans says lots of folks have very good success laying the bike down and lifting the frame off or lifting the engine out.  I did it with the bike standing up and used Harbor Freight straps (3) to lift the engine a little (from a hoist) while wiggling and re-positioning straps... working the engine out.  It went surprisingly fast and "uneventful".  If you can get an extra guy or two, it's probably safer and easier. 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:59:10 pm by GammaFlat »
K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline Wayne Meuir

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:01:20 pm »
Maybe I just got lucky, but I removed the engine from my 78F without having to cut or grind anything.  My son and I just grabbed hold of it, kinda raised the back up and pivoted the cylinder as much down as we could and set the engine out on the floor.  Once all the junk was disconnected from it, there was nothing to it.

Wayne
No problems that winning the lottery wouldn't fix

Offline 75750SS

• Enthusiast
  • 75 750F, 2010 Concours ABS
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:18:34 pm »
I've done it both ways by myself and on it's side is much easier.
Search for 'It can be done by yourself!' for a couple of pics.

Offline shoemanII

• Enthusiast
  • just another bike nut
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 08:05:47 pm »
+1 on grinding the "washers' off all mounting lugs on the right side - makes the install a breeze.  i jack up the bike fully, then suspend the rear of the engine using a small come-along and the front w/a rope.  allows me to incrementally adjust the engine angle just right, then out it somes.  easy.
bobp   
'96 ducati carb'd 900ss/cr 
'72 dt2
'77cb550k frankenberry:  '77cb550k frame, '78cb550k engine, '78cb550f tank, unknown front-end