Author Topic: Nice Updated Wheels  (Read 1438 times)

Offline SD750F

• Master
    • My Business Site
Nice Updated Wheels
« on: December 04, 2008, 02:40:28 pm »
Has anyone seen this modification before?

http://www.caferacermotorcycle.com/stroke/hondaCB750a.html

Would like to know how much work needs to be done to make the modern wheels work with a CB750 SOHC??? Any ideas?

Scott

Offline ghost

• what do you mean i can't do that? I just did it didn't i
  • Enthusiast
  • it's all about the last inch baby(even when it's metric)
Re: Nice Updated Wheels
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:15:42 pm »
i dunno about your question, but those wheels look sick on that bike
1980 cb650c first bike i owned now the wife's ride.           1982 xv920j virago, bike i learned to ride on rescued it from a 13 year coma (sitting in the shed) now she runs beautifully and rides like a dream.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:01:41 pm »
it is an entire SV front end. If I had to guess I would say the front was done by machining and swapping stems on the triple trees so that the SV trees fit the honda neck.

As for the rear, custom spacers, bushings in the axle and a custom sprocket set.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 04:53:39 am »
it is an entire SV front end. If I had to guess I would say the front was done by machining and swapping stems on the triple trees so that the SV trees fit the honda neck.

As for the rear, custom spacers, bushings in the axle and a custom sprocket set.

That's just about exactly it.

I'm working on something very similar right now except using a Katana instead of an SV. The spacers for the rear were easy. The bushings were also pretty easy. Modifying the steering stem is the tough part. You may be able to modify just the CB front end to take the new wheel, but then brakes become an issue and width of the forks... just putting on the whole front end is easier.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"

Offline tygrant

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 05:30:56 am »
i would guess those rims and tires are alot heavier then the stock mo-ped style spoke wheels, looks good but will slow down your acceleration for sure
1975 CB550F - cafe
2001 YZF-R6
2002 HD fatboy

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 07:23:17 am »
i would guess those rims and tires are alot heavier then the stock mo-ped style spoke wheels, looks good but will slow down your acceleration for sure

you would guess wrong. Modern sportbike rims are much much lighter than these old spoked beasties.

In getting rid of the drum rear alone you are loosing at least 10lbs all brake components considered, plus it is rotational mass you are loosing. when I did the wheel swap on my h1 (fzr600 front, 400 rear) I lost close to 20 lbs.

even if the wheels were heavier it would not be by much and the disc brake rotors and calipers of the SV are lighter than the cb750 units.
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline tygrant

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:42:28 am »
hmm, how much hevier are the 750 rears then the 550s ? my 636 rear tires and rims are DEFINITELY heavier than my 550, especialy with the 200 rear tire compares to a ruber band tire on those spokers, my r6 was heavier too... im not saying your wrong or im right orwhatever im just saying from my experince with my bikes
1975 CB550F - cafe
2001 YZF-R6
2002 HD fatboy

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:54:43 am »
hmm, how much hevier are the 750 rears then the 550s ? my 636 rear tires and rims are DEFINITELY heavier than my 550, especialy with the 200 rear tire compares to a ruber band tire on those spokers, my r6 was heavier too... im not saying your wrong or im right orwhatever im just saying from my experince with my bikes

not sure I have never weighed them back to back. I imagine there is a difference because the 750 drum is larger and the rim is wider. The SV rims are not that much wider than what is on a 750 and the tire may be only 20mm wider (a 150 vs. a 130), plus you don't have to run the SV with a tube.

When changing wheels the biggest weight savings comes in the brake components, espcially in the rear. One kawi h1 caliper and bracket weighs almost twice what an fzr600 caliper and bracket weighs. Same with the rotors. The forks may be about the same but the modern forks are much better.

some mags are lighter, some are heavier, depends on the bikes being compared. In the end it is the total package weight that you need to be concerned about. Even if the total package weight is the same the brakes and forks will be better with the newer components. 
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 09:31:05 am »
Man did you see the pipe on that thing, bet its loud ;)
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline tygrant

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 10:43:17 am »
yea i agree, i guess the point i was getting is IF your adding weith it could slo your acceleration but i do agree the modern update is worth it
1975 CB550F - cafe
2001 YZF-R6
2002 HD fatboy