Author Topic: 1969 CB160 Cafe/Tracker Project - a.k.a The "Apartment Bike"  (Read 49305 times)

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
Re: 1969 CB160 Cafe/Tracker Project - a.k.a The "Apartment Bike"
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2009, 05:57:32 am »
Here's some instructions from the Honda manual:
(I'm pretty sure they mean "figure 4.18", not "3.18" in the write-up.)

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2009, 06:25:26 am »
Thanks  ;D
I am guessing by "top bridge" they mean the top triple tree ?

QUESTION:
If I want to put another front-end on this bike so I can lower it which front-end (off what bike)would I be in search of ? I really want to lower the bike so I can run some clip-on's
above the top tree..
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 06:27:15 am by ProTeal55 »
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2009, 03:28:20 pm »
oh i thought you were trying to take to forks apart not take them off the trees

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2009, 04:16:54 pm »
Shoot me dimensions of the neck....

And wheel size you want to run....

Nothing functional right?
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline Cowboy

• Enthusiast
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2009, 11:27:27 pm »
Here's a thought:  Since you don't need the bike to be functional, you could simply ream out the upper triple tree so that the fork tubes would slide through. Then you could slide the forks up, and clamp them at the bottom. You could never ride the bike this way, as the forks would twist easily, but it would achieve the cosmetic look you want.
1964 Honda CT200
1967 Chang Jiang 750 Sidecar
1970 Honda CB350
1978 Honda CB550

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2009, 06:30:29 am »
You might have yourself a good idea their Cowboy.
I def. want to lower the bike, as the distance from the top of the front tire to the bottom of the
lower triple-tree is way too much for my likin. Now I just need to get the front-end apart so I can drill out the top tree..

I would almost rather repalce the entire front end so I can ditch those "sliders" that cover the fork tubes (not a big fan of them). Doesnt need to be functional at all, just look like it would be ready to ride. Would I be able to bolt on a front-end offa CB350 or something and not have it look outta place ? Wanna go about 2'' lower in the front, and then I need to figure out what I am gonna do in the back.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:35:51 am by ProTeal55 »

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2009, 08:26:50 am »
http://www.jrbranson.com/HondaRacer/mainpage.htm

this guy knows his CB160s
im going to go to a cb350 front end on my bike next year.
he has a CB550 on his now

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2009, 10:15:47 am »
I have a fork clamp setup off a XS650 you could have for $20+ship.

Or you could meet me at the Chi Cycle World show this weekend.

Been sitting around here for a while.
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2009, 12:13:50 pm »
Whats all involved in swapping a complete front end ?
I have always heard it is as "simple" as pressing the stem from the stock tree's into a new tree ?

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2009, 02:08:25 pm »
Whats all involved in swapping a complete front end ?
I have always heard it is as "simple" as pressing the stem from the stock tree's into a new tree ?

More than likely you will have to do one or both...

Cut the wleds off the XS bottom tree and press out...

Or make a complete new stem on a lathe.

I usually make a copy of the original stem for that particular neck on a lathe and then press it into the swapped bottom tree and weld (if they are both steel).

After you do it once or twice it's pretty straight forward.
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2009, 07:46:16 am »
Sounds fun  ::)
Maybe I am better off drilling out the top tree like Cowboy said to get the look I want.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2009, 12:56:02 pm »
i think its a matter of getting the right roller bairings to make the CB160 frame take the CB350 stem...but im not 100% sure.  that guy will help if you email him hes great about that.

i would think that its easyer to swap the front ends then to drill out the top tree

you want those shocks?  by some chance you have a pair of 1978 CB750F lower fork legs? 

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2009, 01:43:06 pm »
I have to measure the stock shocks, and if it's worth it I am going to order 11'' short shocks to get the ass end down. If the stock shocks are close to that height I will take the ones you have off your hands.

No 78 lower legs, sorry bud... :-\

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2009, 01:50:03 pm »
1/17/09
So after taking some time off I thought I would get some work done on the apt. bike.
The "dining room" part of my kitchen looks like a scene outta SAW, but it does a great job of keeping
the crap contained to one spot (and not all overy my place)...

Got the frame grinded down to where I want it, still need to do alittle more work with the "flapper" wheel, but you get the idea..

Next I am gonna clean up the wheels the best I can, then get them ready for paint (gloss black). Beofre I paint I need to
speed hole the hell outta the rear brake drum (along with lots of other parts). Need to figure out what tires I want and order them up, along with a cafe seat,
some clubman bars, new headlite, lower the center stand,etc..

Lots of work, but I am in no rush  ;D
what do you use to clean up your rims?
Ben :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 02:07:10 pm by benly- ben »
"Youngest Member On The Forum! Joined When I Was 12!"

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2009, 03:06:04 pm »
What did you use to smooth your welds?
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2009, 05:01:13 pm »
1. Havent attacked the wheels yet on this bike. When I do get around to it the plan is a wire wheel on a high speed drill, then a scotch brite pad, and then see what I come up with. If the wheels are pitted (which I am sure whey will be) they will then get a few coats of enamel primer and then LOTS of coats of Duplicolor high temp gloss black paint. Might leave the spokes black, might mask them off, we shall see...

2. No welding has been done to the bike as of yet. Currently the motor is at the Half Fast Garage getting torn apart and all moving parts that can be removed are (getting removed) to make the motor as light as possibile. Once this is all done the whole kit and kaboddle is getting sandblasted as one unit, then painted in some sorta fashion. The frame will eventually get some touch up welding done to it, which will be cleaned up with a flapper wheel (as the rest of the bike has been thus far).
Those things are cool, just keep them away from your knuckles (gloves or no gloves)... :o

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:02:51 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline benly- ben

• Hot Shot
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2009, 11:10:52 am »
My benly has got some really old rims on it, they are badly pitted and had lots of bad corrosion on them. But have you ever heard of autosol (an abrasive), I used that on the rims and in the right hands it can make your rims absoloutely gleam! (doesnt remove pitting, obviously). when I say the right hands im reffering to sam! he is ace at doing the miracles with the autosol.
Good luck with your project! I will post some pictures of the benly on my project thread.
A small project; honda cb92.

Ben :D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:13:51 am by benly- ben »
"Youngest Member On The Forum! Joined When I Was 12!"

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2009, 07:56:26 am »
PROJECT UPDATE 2/13/09

I took the frame over to the Half Fast Garage last night to get it ready for some welding, and FINALLY got the front end off. All it needed was alittle "help" with a dead blow hammer to come apart. I got rid of the tins around the fork tubes, stock headlite ears, etc.. Looks like we are going to cut (or remove) the springs to lower the front end (as I cant push the tubes thru the stock tree, not "hog" them out due to lack of material). The bike is never going to run under it's own power so I can do sneaky things like pull the springs out to get the look I am after. We are also going to smooth out the top triple tree (using clip-on's), as well as make a custom stand for the bike so the bike will sit lower (then with the stock center stand)..

Also going to weld a flat plate so the seat has a place to mount (ala my old CB450 Cafe). Going to do the same thing as I did on the old bike, as far as attach the seat to the "plate" with reg ol' velcro. Once all the welding is done the bike is going to come back to my place to get primered and painted. Other things I still need to address, work on, purchase are:

- Wheels (need to clean them up/paint/etc)
- Tires (need to order)
- Seat (need to order)
- Headlite and headlite ears (need to order)
- Clip-On's (need to order)
- Cables & handlebar Controls (need to order)
- Motor (need to get sandblasted and then paint)
- Ebay (find & buy a bunch of little things)
- Etc

QUESTION:
What size (in mm) are the stock CB160 fork tubes ?
I ask becasue I need to order up a set of clip-on's and headlite ears...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:47:12 am by ProTeal55 »

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2009, 04:28:50 pm »
3/11/09
Been taking some time away from the apartment bike, but it's time to get my ass going and get the thing done.
Last night Rev. Mike and I welded a flat piece of steel across the seat area of the bike. This was done to give me a flat/solid place to mount the seat to. The actual mounting will be with velcro (such as on the old green CB450 project). Notice the amazing "floating" welder ;D
It will be cleaned up alittle, but I am not gonna stress it becasue the seat will cover it up..

Also started cleaning up the wheels. First was to get the tires off the wheels, which was eacy with the help of the sawzall and some screwdrivers.
The wheels were pretty cruddy:
Front:
Rear:
After a few rounds with the wire wheel and a scotch brite wheel they are ready for paint:
Think the plan is to do the rim gloss black and the spoke flat black. Need to get some good coats of primer on them first before anything gets painted.
Next thing I need to tackle is to rip the forks apart and see what I need to do to get them sitting alittle lower.
The bike is going to be getting a custom center stand (like the old dirt trackers) so I need to get the bike sitting alittle lower than it is now. Also need to order tires, get some clubman bars, grips, controls, cables, headlite, get the tank mocked up and fitting on the frame (which it currently does not), and a boatload of other stuff.

Some of the other Half Fast guys are starting to get into the project, so it looks like the bike will end up being built better and with more custom touches than originally planned.. ;D

Offline nedtheviking

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2009, 10:34:19 pm »
hey man i was digging this build, has anything been happening with it?
peace, Ned.

Offline HavocTurbo

• Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2009, 10:28:13 am »
if the tires are sized what i think they are.... i might have some cool options for you.
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
09 XL883L - No Name

douft750

« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2009, 01:01:02 am »
Just bought a CB160 myself and I'm glad I found this thread.

Any updates?

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2009, 12:18:53 pm »
10/13/09
Been along time since I have updated this build thread (sorry ;D)..
But, as the weather is getting worse here in Chicago the apt. bike build is back on !

Since I updated last some good progress has been going on..
The original plan was to keep this thing simple, get it looking good, and back together.
As usual I turned it into a larger project than it should, but when I do that the end results are usually pretty solid..

I had the frame stripped, sanded, primered, and rattlecan'ed red and then decided I didnt like it. Not sure if the paint I picked out was just ugly, or I am just not a fan
of rattlecan paint jobs (in any other color then black ), so I made the decision to strip the entire frame (again) and have it powdercoated by my buddy Sean who owns
HTTP://WWW.THEPOWDERPRO.COM out in the burbs by O'Hare. So a few days ago I dropped off the frame and swingarm to have him sandblast and powdercoat the bits with a super durable brite red (see below)
The pic is from my cellphone (as my digital camera died last week) but the color is is a very bold/dark red with a high gloss. Much darker than the pic above shows. It is ascually the same shade of red that Ducati uses on their frames (to give ya an idea). I took the bare frame back home today so I could mock up some seat and tank combos before the powder goes on (the smart way to do it). Who knows what tabs/brackets I might need welded to the frame to get the tank to sit how i want.

So I started to play around with tanks on the CB160 frame tonight. I had a Honda CB200 tank lyin around and put it on the bike and was pretty pleased with the look. The CB200 tank has a clean profile, and seems like it might work well with this project --->
After test fitting a few other tanks on the frame I am pretty much sold on the CB200 tank for this project. As far as paint goes I am still up in the air. The current plan is to get the seat and tank mocked up and mountned, then have the frame blasted and powdercoated, and then get some pics of the tank on the frame to photochop (to get some ideas for a final paint color)..
Right now I am thinking of either going with black or silver for a paint color..

The seat (replica of a Ducati single/factory seat/same seat I had on my old green CB450) will be ordered soon. And once that is done I can fit the seat, and weld up some mounting brackets for whatever tank i pick out. THEN I can have the frame powdercoated and start putting the bike back together.. Things like wheels, cables, bars, chain, and other little things will be ordered as I reach that part of the build. With me going back to school cash is def. tighter than is has been for me in a long long time...

Stay tuned...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:29:59 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2009, 12:31:02 pm »
if the tires are sized what i think they are.... i might have some cool options for you.
What are these "options" you speak of ?

onesickrace

« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2009, 12:35:38 pm »
ive always dug those 200 seats but never knew what they would go best on. small version of the 400f.. looks good and how nice is it, working indoors on this one thru those chicago winters... im sizing up my bedroom for the 350 im working on... :)