Author Topic: 1969 CB160 Cafe/Tracker Project - a.k.a The "Apartment Bike"  (Read 49297 times)

Offline nvr2old

• Hot Shot
Re: 1969 CB160 Cafe/Tracker Project - a.k.a The "Apartment Bike"
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2010, 07:35:33 pm »
I just read this thread front to back, and at first, I have to admit, I was disappointed to hear it was going to be a static display, especially to the lengths  you are going with it.  To not get it so it runs seems wrong.  But as I read on, I understand what you're doing, and why.  Actually, it's a pretty creative artistic expression.  Enough so that it got me thinking..how would I do the same bike?..hmm.  I see it with the CB200 tank also.  Great shape.  Dump the vinyl strip in the middle and paint a red stripe in it's place the same as the frame color.  It's such a beautiful extension of the frame itself, one nice curve.  Paint the tail section and tank the same silver you're going to powder coat the rims, and return the black panels on the tank sides.  1/8" red pinstripe between the silver and black panel.  Polish the hubs, the fork legs, and the engine covers for a little bling, but leave the cylinders, head and block in a raw media blasted state.  No black engines in this era..  Black pipes like the ones on the bike in the beginning of the thread would look great, though, and velocity stacks on the carbs are a given.

What started out as me being bummed, now has me looking forward to seeing your "Apartment Bike" done and on display.  I'd still keep an eye out for a wiring harness, though..you never know.. ;D 
'76 CB550F-'72 XL250-'82 MB5-'82 CX500 Turbo-'77 naked Goldwing-'75 CB400F cafe'-'79 Suzuki GS1000S..hey, it's a Wes Cooley..

traveler

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2010, 10:08:08 pm »
The only shame in this whole thing, is you are spending all this time...and there is no riding at the end. ???

I hope you have a bike to ride... :-\

~Joe

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2010, 02:44:23 pm »
12/8/09
Two quick pics of the CB160 with it's new 19'' wheels at stock ride height:

Next is to lower the front and rear atleast 2'' (maybe more) to get the thing looking mean.
Also still need to source/make a cafe seat so I can get some tabs welded for the tank and continute
the mockup..

that tank was on my very 1st bike. a cb200. I love that tank. I loved that bike. 160's are for racing! show piece idea is cool, but I've always wanted to race one of those. know a guy in seattle who has a few of em and races them.

check these out:

I love that last one!

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
    • Joe's Barbershop Chicago
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2010, 06:47:02 pm »
The only shame in this whole thing, is you are spending all this time...and there is no riding at the end. ???
I hope you have a bike to ride...
I am really not putting that much time into this thing, as you can see how I started this thread just over a year ago  :o
As far as bikes to ride I just sold my Ducati but am picking up a HD Road King in the next few weeks (yes, I know, I said HD), and also have
a CL450 that I plan to have running by spring...
Joe a.k.a ProTeal55 a.k.a JoeyCocks a.k.a Maker of Friends

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2010, 07:01:59 pm »
I hope you have a bike to ride...
I am really not putting that much time into this thing, as you can see how I started this thread just over a year ago  :o
As far as bikes to ride I just sold my Ducati but am picking up a HD Road King in the next few weeks (yes, I know, I said HD), and also have
a CL450 that I plan to have running by spring...
Its all good, as long as its a bike HD or not (it might be a bit better if it were a CB but...) its all good.. ;)
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2010, 11:49:02 pm »
Still have the CL450 in the garage which is s l o w l y turning into a two up dirt bike tire custom scrambler pipe'ed scoot.. ;D
In it's current state -->
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:45:01 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline coldright

• That's Ms.
  • Expert
  • to you
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2010, 02:03:32 am »
Fun project... subscribed!

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2010, 07:26:25 pm »
you always have such fun builds

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2010, 01:06:00 pm »
you always have such fun builds
Thanks man..
Wait till you see what the new project ends up looking like-->

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2010, 01:34:54 pm »
really?  i mean really really?
how car you going to make that into a light small big wheeled cafe?...lol

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2010, 06:11:17 am »
what kind of fuel capacity does that green tank have as compared to a early cb750 tank? i love the shape of that one but i imagine it's alot smaller than the 750's tank
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2010, 12:38:49 pm »
what kind of fuel capacity does that green tank have as compared to a early cb750 tank? i love the shape of that one but i imagine it's alot smaller than the 750's tank
Says the CB200 tank is 11 liters -->
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cb200.htm
The CB450 is 14 -->
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cb450%2067.htm
And the CB750 is 17.1 --->
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cb750k%2070.htm

really?  i mean really really?
how can you going to make that into a light small big wheeled cafe?...lol
I sold my Ducati Monster for the Road King because I have always wanted one.
So this is going to become the clean/low/simple cruiser and I still have the CL450 to make into a lane splitting terror..
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:36:07 pm by ProTeal55 »

Offline bucky katt

• Old Timer
  • i am a pastafarian!
    • facebook
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2010, 09:33:38 pm »
ack, custom alloy tank it is............one of these years anyways ;D
Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.
Mark Twain - Notebook, 1894

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2010, 12:07:47 pm »
2/27/2010
FINALLY picked up a cafe seat for the Apartment bike, which means once I get it in I can mockup and mount the tank and the rest of the bike.
Once that is done I can rip it all apart again and get the frame and some other parts powdercoated, and then start final assembly.
As you all can tell I am really not in too much of a hurry to get this done, but I am starting to get sick of seeing it in pieces..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:44:54 am by ProTeal55 »

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2010, 06:47:21 pm »
Glad to see your still on it. I know you are just doing it when you have time and parts so I expect it to take some time.. still I am on edge wanting to see the final product!...  ;D

Have a good weekend,

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Triffecpa

• Hot Shot
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2011, 07:30:40 pm »
2/27/2010
FINALLY picked up a cafe seat for the Apartment bike, which means once I get it in I can mockup and mount the tank and the rest of the bike.
Once that is done I can rip it all apart again and get the frame and some other parts powdercoated, and then start final assembly.
As you all can tell I am really not in too much of a hurry to get this done, but I am starting to get sick of seeing it in pieces..

I took some inspiration from this original post and starter my own "Apartment Bike" project a year or so ago.  It was finished this week and installed in the house with the help of my son-in-law and my youngest daughter's BF.

Thanks to Proteal for the original inspiration.  Thanks to my wife for accomodating my hobby/sickness/obsession.

Tracy

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2011, 08:17:06 pm »
NICE  ;D
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2011, 08:23:34 pm »
That is GREAT!  :)
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Triffecpa

• Hot Shot
« Reply #143 on: February 01, 2011, 03:10:10 pm »

MCRider and Scunny -

thanks for the nice comments.

Proteal - how's the original concept bike coming?

Tracy

Offline Zaipai

• Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2011, 07:26:37 pm »

MCRider and Scunny -

thanks for the nice comments.

Tracy

I agree it looks awesome. That is the perfect spot for it also.

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2011, 09:15:36 pm »
I have been so super busy the apartment bike has been on the back burner for quite some time.
It has been in it's sad/1/2 ass rolling chassis under my TV for the past year or so.
Looks like I am either going to ditch it all together and find something more complete, or wait ll I get my garage built
in the spring and finally finish it..

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: 1966 CB160 Cafe/Tracker Project - a.k.a The "Apartment Bike"
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2011, 07:53:49 am »
Is that the original paint job, or a PO's work? Never seen one in white before. If you want to ditch the headlight/speedo let me know how much you want for it. Nick

They did sell them in white.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2011, 07:56:02 am »
Yo,

So since the CL450 project is along ways away from being started, I thought I would do a mini build “log” of the CB160 that has been sitting in my backyard since June. It has been named the “apartment bike” because it is going to end up in my living room of my new place once all is said and done. The bike will never move under it’s own power as long as I own it, hence it not having a title/wiring/a trans that works/etc. The bike is getting built in my kitchen becasue the small garage that I do have at my place is full of bikes (parked for the winter) and who really needs a kitchen table right ?  ;D

As I said I bought this past summer from a fellow member of the board. I knew it was going to be rough when I agreed to buy it (sight unseen), but when I saw it I was alittle shocked at just how rough it was, but it’s nothing alittle primer/paint and elbow grease cant fix (see below):

The plan was to go all out with new wheels, powdercoated frame, rear-sets, and so on but as of now it looks like I am going to do a simple cleanup, ditch the front and rear fenders, give the thing a good 2/3 coats of paint, different headlite, and call it a day. I already have a “toaster” tank that will find it’s way onto the bike, just need to source some small/tight café seat to go along with it. Besides that the bike is going to be stripped of anything that doesn’t look good, maybe get a funky exhaust going like my last CB450 I did (maybe not), etc. As usual once the build starts to happen things will change..

I am excited to start tearing into the bike and get it looking the best I can. I am going off the bike below as a “model” of what a clean CB160 can/should look like:
The bike above is nothing crazy, but the simple/clean lines and the excellent fit/finish are what make the bike. Hopefully when I am done I will have something just as cool..
Stay tuned, I start ripping into the thing tonight when I get home. Gonna be allot of PB blaster-ing and dealing with rusty bolts but it will be a good way to pass the winter…
All of these 30 year old bikes need the same thing.
Complete disassembly cleaning,corrosion treatment and paint.

If I was doing this project I would build it as a completely stock bike.
It will be worth much more. The satisfaction will be greater to.

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2011, 08:00:56 am »
12/26/08
Had the day off today so I figured I would break out the sawzall and start cutting some stuff off the bike.
Things that met their maker were:
Front fender - stock battery tray deal - exhaust - coil braket - rear fender mounts - belt guard tabs - misc brackets - etc..

I am prob. going to cut the footpegs off the bike to try and keep it "tight" as possibile. I could just see walking thru my place and night and getting a foot peg
to the ankle ! :o I would of kept on going but I need to eat and my head is killing me (freakin sinuses). Next on the agenda is to get the wheels and the
swingarm off the bike so I can start cleaning them up, deal with the front-end, and start getting things sanded/grinded smooth for primer. After
allot of thinking I have decided to not powdercoat the bike, but that decision will prob. change as the bike gets closer to that step  ;D

Stay tuned !

If you get it powder coated that usually includes sandblasting and dipping in phosphoric acid bath too. Many paint shops do not do any corrosion treatment. They just put on grey primer and paint. Then all the paint starts to lift after 2 years.

Some painters might do corrosion treatment but I would ask to make sure.
The phosphoric acid bath will stop the corrosion process.

Offline ProTeal55

• Old Timer
  • Est1968.com
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2014, 03:09:31 pm »
Project update 9/11/14 :
After staring at a basic frame with wheels on it for a few years I have decided to ditch this project and replace it with a
more complete / in better shape 73 CB125 I picked up with no title and a seized motor for $50 here in Chicago . 
New build log (if anyone cares) = http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141131.0
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:23:28 pm by ProTeal55 »