Author Topic: Another question on rearsets????  (Read 1342 times)

villpicker

Another question on rearsets????
« on: January 02, 2009, 08:15:23 am »
So I've got my clubmans on...chopped the seat....now rearsets! 

I know there are plenty of threads on here about rearsets, but...hey why not another.  I'm trying to cafe my 350F on the cheap!  Like...WAY CHEAP!  I was talking with my Dad about rearset options.  My suggestion was getting something off a newer sport bike from a parts yard and fabing something up.  I've scene guys doing that and it seems like a pretty affordable and functional solution.

THEN...my dad said, “Why don’t you just flip the shift around and go 1 up 5 down.”  Brillliant!  Is this possible?  I tried searching for it and didn’t find anything.  I looked at my gear shift last night and it seems like you loosen a bolt, flip the darn thing around, use the passenger pegs, WHALLA!  Maybe I'm wrong?  Anybody done this?  It seem spossible, but thought I would ask on here.

Oh yeah...brakes?  I mean...I guess I should put some thought into stopping!  Anybody have any suggestions for a cheap method to move them back.

I’m thinking if I just flop the gear shift I can leave the rear brakes as they are and use the engine/front brake most of the time and move my foot forward if I need to?  Or maybe that’s a horrible/dangerous/irrational idea?

Oh and one more....after pulling my hair out trying to get the wiring through the new bars.  Something didnt go back together right and my turn signals we're out of whack and not working.  Tail light and Head lamp are all good...so....I just ripped 'em all off!  Quick solution I thought becuase I was recently told by reliable source, drunk guy at bar, I didnt need them on a '73.  Is that correct?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: Another question on rearsets????
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 08:24:54 am »
Yes flipping the gearshift is a viable alternative, done by many racers. For them the reverse pattern is beneficial. In the stock positon one is downshifting into the pavement when leaned way over. Reverse and back higher solves that problem. And pushing down to upshift at speed is less unsettling to some.

Wish the brake was as easy.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
Re: Another question on rearsets????
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:45:27 am »
Like MCrider said. Reverse shift pattern (GP Style) has been used by racers for years.
It might take a little getting used too though.

Spend a little more time on sorting your rear brakes out too.
These old Honda's have marginal front and rear brakes and I'd want fast access to both all the time.

Good luck
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0