Author Topic: Stripping old paint off tank etc  (Read 2426 times)

shugsi

Stripping old paint off tank etc
« on: December 26, 2008, 08:15:34 am »
Hi all... can anyone give me on advice on stripping paint off my tank, panels and tail piece?...also how to remove rust from the tanks inner, and maybe coat it in something to keep rust at bay....Im over in the UK in case that helps a bit...cheers

Offline tygrant

• Hot Shot
Re: Stripping old paint off tank etc
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:13:39 am »
get a por15 kit for the inside, you can use aircraft stripper to get the paint off the tank, taking it off the plastic might be a little differnt
1975 CB550F - cafe
2001 YZF-R6
2002 HD fatboy

Offline Mach-5(50)

• Enthusiast
    • ryan barr photography
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 09:33:01 am »
+1 on the aircraft stripper. it is truly gnarly stuff. the second photo is after only a minute or two.

later,

ryan
The more adults I meet, the more I want to help kids.

i used to be drunk and dirty,
now i am clean and sober.

http://www.ryanbarrphotography.com

shugsi

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 10:39:45 am »
thought about stripper but knew it would be deadly on plastic....is that inner tank sealer available in the UK?....

Offline tygrant

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 10:47:32 am »
i dont see why not, you can order it online. i used kreem but everyone who has used both says the POR is much better stuff, do a google search for it and there will be plenty of places to order it. I dont see why you couldnt have one shipped to you. BTW you dont realy need to strip the side covers, sand them and paint over them.. thats what i did and they are holding up fine. good luck
1975 CB550F - cafe
2001 YZF-R6
2002 HD fatboy

shugsi

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 10:51:57 am »
ok cheers for all that lads...will let you know how I get on....when I get my finger out and start lol...but still deciding on what colour, was gonna go with Pearl White with Honda "wing" decals in black and silver...and black "CB650z" decals in black for side panels.....I work with car and motorcycle paints, which means I spend days looking at all colours lol

Offline tygrant

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 06:58:45 pm »
sounds good, throw some pics up when your done
1975 CB550F - cafe
2001 YZF-R6
2002 HD fatboy

Offline Brantley

• Drano
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 02:44:46 am »
Use dot 3 brake fluid in plastic bags for yr sidecovers.

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 10:42:11 am »
ok cheers for all that lads...will let you know how I get on....when I get my finger out and start lol...but still deciding on what colour, was gonna go with Pearl White with Honda "wing" decals in black and silver...and black "CB650z" decals in black for side panels.....I work with car and motorcycle paints, which means I spend days looking at all colours lol

Cadillac Escalade SUV white pearl absolutely rocks on a vintage bike.  I just did a Goldwing with it and a dark metallic red with gold stripes.  Man, that is one nice looking combination.  IMHO  ;D

Offline Bouncer

• "Bear Down"
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 02:51:39 pm »
Whats the proper way to dispose of the a.c. stripper? I have always wanted to use it but rather not store it after done....
New to the game.

1981 CB650C (Finished) Rat Bike

1978 CB750F Project "Bear Down"

Offline Mach-5(50)

• Enthusiast
    • ryan barr photography
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 04:20:19 pm »
i would check with your local sanitation or recycling department. periodically ours has free hazardous waste disposal. granted it is once or twice a year, but it gives an opportunity to dispose of paint, for instance, and other caustic chemicals. now, i also live in a relatively rural area, so depending on where you are in chicago, a program may or may not be offered. maybe that helps?

ryan
The more adults I meet, the more I want to help kids.

i used to be drunk and dirty,
now i am clean and sober.

http://www.ryanbarrphotography.com

shugsi

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 06:28:55 am »

Cadillac Escalade SUV white pearl absolutely rocks on a vintage bike.  I just did a Goldwing with it and a dark metallic red with gold stripes.  Man, that is one nice looking combination.  IMHO  ;D

Well as I work with car and motorcycle paint I thought about experimenting with colours...had an idea of putting a hint of blue pearl in with the white or even a hint of silver....even thought about deep yellow pearl...the colour you done on the gold wing sounds good, you got any pics of it?

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 05:59:19 pm »
did an 'ol "WaterBuffalo" a while back in a white pearl - Cadillac diamond white... added some flames on top in clear whithe a hint of copper pearl - only showed up in bright sunlight.  Was never a fan of white, but for some reason it alwaus look good and unique with all the chrome and aluminum bits on these that can shine up...

+1 on aircraft stripper.

MEK will get rid of rust and anything else that you have in your tank....be carefull with it, as it is super nasty stuff.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

shugsi

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 03:26:51 am »
did an 'ol "WaterBuffalo" a while back in a white pearl - Cadillac diamond white... added some flames on top in clear whithe a hint of copper pearl - only showed up in bright sunlight.  Was never a fan of white, but for some reason it alwaus look good and unique with all the chrome and aluminum bits on these that can shine up...

+1 on aircraft stripper.

MEK will get rid of rust and anything else that you have in your tank....be carefull with it, as it is super nasty stuff.

Cheers Greenjeans...left some info on paint in your thread on painting your tank etc

Offline tygrant

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 05:23:02 am »
Whats the proper way to dispose of the a.c. stripper? I have always wanted to use it but rather not store it after done....

i stored a can for 3 years, i went to use it this summer and when i twisted the cap the entire neck of the can broke off in my hand still in the cap and i cut the bottom of my thumb on the rusted chunk sticking up, got some stripper in the cut too. i said gosh darn it.
1975 CB550F - cafe
2001 YZF-R6
2002 HD fatboy

Offline Trevor from Warragul

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 03:52:55 pm »
I took a Kawasaki H1A tank to an industrial paint removal company.  For $30.00 (AUD) they dipped the tank in something that must've been pretty gnarly, because it removed all the paint AND rust.  This was far easier & cleaner than using paint stripper.
1971 Kawasaki H1A
1972 Honda CB350F
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport
1978 Honda CBX
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
1999 Ducati Monster 750

the godfather

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 02:03:00 am »
Hi all... can anyone give me on advice on stripping paint off my tank, panels and tail piece?...also how to remove rust from the tanks inner, and maybe coat it in something to keep rust at bay....Im over in the UK in case that helps a bit...cheers

You can get a complete kit in England. Pretty reasonable
go here

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8222&frostProductName=Motorcycle+Fuel+Tank+Repair+Kit&catID=25&subCatID=&FrostCat=Tanks&FrostSubcat=