Ladies Only
5 (3.3%)
Top Two Categories
6 (4%)
All Of The Above
8 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: February 12, 2009, 04:57:35 am

Author Topic: POLL for BOTM Style/Size for March 2009 Nominations - Poll Closed  (Read 14805 times)

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: POLL for BOTM Style/Size for March 2009 Nominations - Poll Closed
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2009, 01:05:43 pm »
Yanno, I stepped in when Heff was away, I know I keep saying that.  No one else did.

Last month people were having issues at the two nominations.  Understandable.  But catch what I said, Two Nominations for the vote.  How many this month?

Well, maybe I will spice it up a bit.  I reworded what has been going on, wide open - and that was a choice too (All of the above).  I just spread it out to bring attention to what seemed to be something going on here (BOTM) that really had very little participation to begin with.  Oh, and I let you vote three times instead of once.  I laid it out and let the members control it, I just did the typing and moved images around.

I also said I can remove or add what was wanted.  And, no, the Ladies only option was not to belittle the female members.  If anything, I was hoping to bring them out and add some spice (well that fell through).  I never said that they could not compete in this as is being assumed.  I asked if it offended any of the female members and none said it did.

So, I guess none of you have been to ladies night (prolly on Thursdays) when you went out. 

I guess Massive Babes Thread is just fine and dandy.

On this BOTM thread, I see posts from members that I personally have not seen on the recent BOTM threads but sure come out now with problems.  To me, participate before you start beating something up.

As to the whining, grow up!

Now that Heff is back, no need for me to continue this.  Heff is was yours, still is yours and you are going to yank it back from me next month anyway - thanks for asking?!?!

This is my resignation from being a moderator for BOTM.  It is yours Heff, carry on with it.

Steve, please remove my Moderator status.  I won't want this back.

I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2009, 01:39:01 pm »
Giga, I know you didn't name names, but I'm guessing that I'm one of the people that you're frustrated with. You've got my respect for stepping up and trying to solve a problem that you saw. I sure as hell didn't stick my neck out and try to help at the time. It was much easier to come in after the fact and voice my dissent after decisions had been made. I think my grandfather would have called that a "deficiency in character". ;)

I agree that it would be great if more people participated in the BOTM polling. Maybe we just need to explore other possible solutions? In the interest of being constructive, here's one idea:

I enjoy voting in the BOTM contest. However, I don't vote every month. When I haven't voted, it has always been because I missed the deadline. A reminder email sent to all members (maybe 48hrs in advance of poll closing) would get more people in here every month for nominations and voting. In the forum that I run, it's an easy thing to send out a mass email to all members from the moderator control panel. The downside is that it would create more work for the moderator, and perhaps some members wouldn't be happy receiving two emails a month from the board.

I think that the structure of BOTM is just fine as it is; awareness is the area that could use some work.

Jinx

"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

–Captain Horatio Hornblower

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2009, 01:44:03 pm »
perhaps some members wouldn't be happy receiving two emails a month from the board.

i get about 5-10 per day from people registering as a member. 

i think the real factor is that there is a bike of the month "following"... i am one of the followers... many of you are... that's why you're voicing your opinion right now.

even though there is a following, it may be regular, sporadic, frequent or in-frequent... all of those have an effect on every month's participation.   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:46:09 pm by heffay »
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2009, 01:49:06 pm »
even though there is a following, it may be regular, sporadic, frequent or in-frequent... all of those have an effect on every month's participation.   

Then I guess the question is, do you want to take steps to try and increase the following, or leave it as it is?

Lucky you Heff, you get to decide. ;)
"Each of us can find a maggot in our past which will happily devour our futures."

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2009, 01:51:18 pm »
i do... but i am not a salesman... especially for free bike of the month.   :D

#$%*... i'd love for mine to win... but, seems mine isn't flashy enuf.

you're preachin' to the choir... i've been here every month since the day this started... just the last two i never logged in to vote.   ;)
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2009, 01:53:08 pm »
ps... i'm also unaware of any mass emailing or pm capabilities w/ this... i'm sure i'm wrong and all i'd need to do is type each and every member into a single private message then save it for future reference.

then all i'd have to worry about is all the replies.   :o

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2009, 02:01:57 pm »
On this BOTM thread, I see posts from members that I personally have not seen on the recent BOTM threads but sure come out now with problems.  To me, participate before you start beating something up.

Chill out.  I took a 6 month vacation from the entire sohc4 forums, not just the BOTM.  My return just happened to coincide with the changes.  I won't apologize for any offense you have taken because I was simply expressing my opinion on the changes, and in a civil and polite way, too.  If you want to be offended, then have at it. 

I also specifically said that I appreciate the fact that you stepped up in Heffays absence to keep BOTM alive, but I disagreed with the changes you made.  Disagreement does not equal disapproval. 

I think it's safe to say that everyone here, including those who disagreed with your ideas, is glad that you stepped in to keep BOTM going, and is appreciative of your efforts.  If you take anything away from this experience, please let it be that.

Gordon

Offline Jinxracing

• It's hot shit, not
  • Hot Shot
  • '70 CB750 K1
    • The Hairy Nickel
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2009, 02:18:08 pm »
ps... i'm also unaware of any mass emailing or pm capabilities w/ this... i'm sure i'm wrong and all i'd need to do is type each and every member into a single private message then save it for future reference.

then all i'd have to worry about is all the replies.   :o

Heffay,

In phpbb it's as simple as logging into the Administrator Control Panel and selecting "Send Mass Email". You just select "All Users" and type in your message. I don't know what level of access you have to the ACP here, but it should be a very easy thing to do. But yes, then all you'd have to worry about is the replies. :)

www.thehairynickel.com

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2009, 02:27:30 pm »
i don't really worry about all of those emails anyway... i can look at a page and see what's important to me.   ;)

i also don't have the same moderator privileges that i had at one time... nor do i want them back!  as you can see, i have enuf on my plate.
as far as access panel... i see basically the same thing you do on your page.  glenn's got this puppy locked down!   ;D ;)

now... i'm off to find out where all of our merchandise options went.

Offline hoodellyhoo

• CB350F
  • Master
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2009, 02:30:38 pm »

I think it's safe to say that everyone here, including those who disagreed with your ideas, is glad that you stepped in to keep BOTM going, and is appreciative of your efforts.  If you take anything away from this experience, please let it be that.

+1

Thanks Giga
1972 CB350F (Back from the Dead!)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=20822.0
1965? S65 - Coming Eventually!
1972 CB750K2 (father-son project)
1976 CB750K6- (sold) http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=96859.0
1976 CB750K6 (sold)- http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=62569.0

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2009, 02:46:37 pm »

+1

Thanks Giga

Myself included Giga,   Bill ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2009, 02:57:40 pm »
Hey Giga I think you are doing a fine job with BOTM and would urge you to stay and keep at it. Less committee meeting is required and more decision - they will either like it or not but you cant please everyone all the time. I appreciated you taking over BOTM -refreshing change.

cheers
Andy

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2009, 02:58:27 pm »
giga... should i post my response to your post twice since you posted elsewhere too?   ;D

how bout i just let you know your work here was appreciated on my account, as well.  

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2009, 03:22:14 am »
Man, I remember the good old days when this was a "CB750 only" site............  ::)

But seriously, who gets to pick the selection that we then vote for? I just had a look at the "finalists" for the "Cafe BOTM", and (no offence to their owners) I didn't think they were that special?

If there isn't that much to choose from, is continuing with BOTM even worthwhile, or is it just an exercise in ego-stroking?

Of course, if it were up to me I'd make Mec's Egli replica and Fab's Samoto-Honda BOTM on alternate months for the rest of this decade, they're both worthy contenders, and a cut above the rest, IMHO. Cheers, Terry. ;D

I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline volkswagendan

• Hot Shot
  • im a bit off the charts. sorry.
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2009, 05:17:38 am »
"twins and singles (any size)"????   i thought the rules said it has to be a sohc4??
whats going on here?
don't take me too seriously.

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2009, 09:52:28 am »
First, I think anyone would agree "worthwhile" is subjective at best.

Two, I thought it was pretty clear the reason for the alternate bike/ variations was based on a seeming lag in interest for BOTM. Trying to revive interest in a fun and long standing feature of the forum is a "worthwhile" effort, no?

III, some months there may not be that many nominations, other months an embarrassment of riches; if we only run this thing when everyone can agree (ah, right) there are the minimum number (whatever that would be) and the standard met for quality (?) it seems very obvious there's be no BOTM at all. And, it would at the very least kill whatever fun is in the process if it hasn't happened already.

D, if there is a lack of suitable SOHC/4's maybe we should start combing the build threads and gallery section (like I did) and be a part of the process. Like some politician once said, "we are the change we've been waiting for".

Yes we can! Where's Opera when we need her most?!
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2009, 02:17:20 pm »
oprah?
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2009, 02:31:22 pm »
"Grand Old Opry"?  ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2009, 03:28:01 pm »
oprah?

;D Both have fat ladies... easy mistake.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.