Author Topic: Mixing paint.....  (Read 1295 times)

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Mixing paint.....
« on: December 29, 2008, 06:29:57 pm »
Question for all you paint mixing gurus out there....

Finally got my project to a roller, gonna drop the motor in tomorrow and start with the wiring.

Anyway,  I want to paint the tank, side covers, and rear fender a kinda "candy whiskey color"
I've seen a few bikes painted with "House of Kolor" candy rootbeer, which looks great but I want to paint it,
if you could imaging the way Jack Daniels looks over ice...  kind a darker warm goldish color....
My local paint shop doesn't really seem to a do alot of custom work so there weren't many "candy" paint chip
samples to look at.

I'd like to have a small glitter to it to help with a 70's look as well...  was thinking of a metallic gold base, followed by some glitter in clear, and then some clear with the candy/pearl in it, and finally some clear on top of any graphics I decide to  go with.   Basically a deep warm glitttery but not too sparkly..  does that sound like a decent plan ?

I'd like any suggestions as for procedure and ideally.....a different brand other than House of Kolor....they are
soooo ridiculously expensive!!

Any help and suggestions completely welcomed and appreciated. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:56:32 am by greenjeans »
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

shugsi

Re: Mixing paint.....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 03:24:33 am »
House of Colour is expensive but good quality...I work with car paints over here in the UK and I am looking at mixing up a "special" colour myself....we work with ICI which I believe is Dupont, Max Meyer, Lesonal etc...some are solvent and some are water based, plus you can get it in either 1K or 2K.. ideally you need access to compressor, good quality spray gun, petrol proof lacquer, thinners, hardener etc....can be expensive..try and get data sheets on the paints you are gonna use as they give you all the ratios and drying times.....Over here a 5litre tin of ICI lacquer is roughly £70 plus Pearl paint is also expensive.

shugsi

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:56:48 am »
Yup, that newly spkked rim does look good!
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline tygrant

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 11:13:16 am »
man i love those tires, are those coker?
1975 CB550F - cafe
2001 YZF-R6
2002 HD fatboy

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 07:40:15 pm »
Thanks guys,    firestone champion repros from Coker...

Need a candy paint guru..... surely we have one here.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:19:06 pm »
don dirtbiker?
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!