Author Topic: upgraded cam  (Read 851 times)

Offline blaster802

upgraded cam
« on: December 30, 2008, 05:20:01 pm »
Hey guys, Happy new year, may we all stay employed. Got a question, I got a stock 71 750 if I were to get a cam with a little more duration would I get more power down lower in the rpms? My stock cam seems like the sweet spot is around 4500-5000. Just wondering what to expect from a different cam. Thanks

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: upgraded cam
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:53:49 pm »
No expert here but the good part about the stock Honda 750 SOHC is that they make good power down low if running right,an 836 can even have more grunt, and a cam will start to come to life in the range you are asking about all the way to that redline and maybe a bit above if you have her fixed up right.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 06:40:09 pm »
Hey guys, Happy new year, may we all stay employed. Got a question, I got a stock 71 750 if I were to get a cam with a little more duration would I get more power down lower in the rpms? My stock cam seems like the sweet spot is around 4500-5000. Just wondering what to expect from a different cam. Thanks
Also no expert, but generally, it is my understanding if you increase the duration you will raise the sweet spot and sacrifice low end. Increasing the lift increases the torque without raising the sweet spot.

A low end cam does a little of both, no cam does just one or the other. And with the 750 stock head you are not likely to experience satisfying results with just a cam. Just port work with a stock cam is better.

I actually new 2 friends who both put 836 kits in their bikes, RC headers, and one put a cam. The stock cam bike out performed the cammed bike in all areas. Port work on the head is needed to realize a benefit from a cam, IMHO.

Good thread hope some experts chime in, or expereinced owners.

PS: I really think head work is the key. With it everything works better, including all the stock bits. Without it everything is just a patch job.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:42:00 pm by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:10:44 pm »
Agree. Use the cam for more top end power on revs-
maybe drop a tooth on your countershaft sprocket if you like that powerband,might feel more responsive down low to you when you shift
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:15:49 pm by ekpent »