Author Topic: HOORAY!! My second bike. Let the addiction rage!!  (Read 1245 times)

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
HOORAY!! My second bike. Let the addiction rage!!
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:56:13 pm »
Earlier this year I bought my very first motorcycle ever, a 73 CB 500 K2. There were a lot of ups (my blood pressure) and downs (my bank account) but I have learned a lot on that bike. One of the biggest things I learned was that I wanted another bike so that when I am fixing/modding/tinkering on one I will have one to ride. So as a reward for finishing my first semester of college after 10 years out of highschool, I bought me a second bike!

I want to thank everyone in the SOHC Other Bikes forum for answering my questions about other bikes, and in a way ultimately helping me decide on this one. I bought a 1980 CB650 Custom!  ;D

When I went to check her out she didn't have a battery, but the seller was nice enough to help me hook mine up and she turned over great. The PO didn't have much fuel in the tank, and it was probably bad anyhow, so she didn't start. But we shot some starter fluid into the air filter and she coughed a couple times like she really wanted to go. With that I am pretty confident that she will run with a little TLC. I just brought her home today, and already got the Clymer manual so I can start reading it. I am super excited to start working on her and ride her. Now if the weather would just warm up!!

I will admit I haven't yet done a ton of forum surfing, but if there are any thoughts fellow owners have on quirks of the 650 I should know about, please feel free to share them. The rims are D.I.D, I seem to remember reading about these somewhere. Are they stock, and are they pretty good?

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
Re: HOORAY!! My second bike. Let the addiction rage!!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:00:11 pm »
CONGRATS you have the disease,I can not wait till you make the next buy, a 750,LOTSA parts and LOTSA fun and looking around a few experts. Happy New Year guy from Michigan
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:03:53 pm by ekpent »

Offline Joe Mig

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 02:39:16 am »
Hello my name is joe and I'm a lifetime bikeaholic.
 I feel your pain. :o
 Wellcome and Happy New Year ! Joe
"If everything feels undercontrol...you are not going fast enough"

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 02:51:14 am »
Welcome, round of applause, my name is Mike and I have 23 motorcycles.  I hope to sell most of them in the Spring but my wife says it is her or them.  I am here because I chose them.  ;D

Seriously, you could be addicted to worse.  God bless and enjoy!

Pic is one of my babies that will go this Spring.  1980 CB650C custom paint, handlebars, and pods.  I got it with no carbs, headlight, or instruments.  She is a sweety.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:55:41 am by KingCustomCycles.com »

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:43:59 am »
good choice on the 650, the red headed step child. only common problem is the charging system
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 05:41:11 am »
Damn, it's already gone too far!  There'll be no curing him now! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)

Offline manjisann

• Hazardous Chemical Inhalation
  • Master
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:08:17 am »
 ;D hehe, who wants to be cured????

King, that is a nice looking bike! Mine needs a new paint job, the tank has a lot of small rust spots and sun fading on the clear coat. I am trying to decide what color I want to go with. My choices are limited to rattle can stuff, although I seem to remember that automotive paint shops can load auto paints into rattle cans. I'll have to look into that. First thing is first though, I gotta get her running good.

Happy new years everyone!!

Brandon
Sure it's for sale! How much you ask?? Well, how much are you willing to pay??? Now triple it, that's the price!

1973 CB500 K2 - Sold the bike and bought a Mig, Miss the bike, Love the Mig :D
1980 CB650 Custom
1971 CB500 Frame 650 engine: Project

Trip and General Ramblings blog: manjisann.blogspot.com