Author Topic: Stripped Carb Choke Butterfly skrew  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
Stripped Carb Choke Butterfly skrew
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:37:43 pm »
OK i said i wasn't going to work on my 550 until my 750 was finished but i find my self rebuilding the carbs. So the problem is the screws on the butterflies are stripped. Is there a secret to get them out? Should i just attempt a rebuild without separating all the carbs? here's is a pic of what I'm talking about.

Offline BlindJoe

• Expert
Re: Stripped Carb Choke Butterfly skrew
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:42:03 pm »
Cut a slot in it with a dremel tool, then use a flat head. Use lots of  penetrating fluid too.

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 03:14:28 am »
Unstacking the rack is a waste of time in most cases.  Leave the choke system in and together.  Clean the jets and float needle like you are going to eat with them.  Clean and verify all air passages with air or carb spray. Lube everything with a mix of ATF and acetone, replace any suspect seals or gaskets and you will be good to go.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:16:35 am by KingCustomCycles.com »

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:09:40 am »
There's a source in the FAQs for those tiny screws in the carbs...
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 07:03:59 pm »
Keihin peened/staked the backs of the screws so they won't vibrate out. Anyways there's an X pressed in the threaded bit sticking out the back side of the actuating shaft. You can file the protruding screw (the staked part) off with the butterfly open if you're careful, then the screws come out pretty easy. I can't think of a way to re-stake new screws that's not a real PITA, so I have used small fastener loctite. None have worked loose yet. I like to polish the plates to a mirror finish and use round head SS allen screws to reattach them. I don't think it makes any measurable difference to the airflow, but they look nice.

Offline KB02

• Take it easy there, Sonny, I'm an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 04:45:56 am »
When I rebuilt the carbs on my K8, I was able to get the old screws out without stripping any of them (lucky me, right?). When I put new screws back in I drilled a small hole in the end of the screws - just deep enough to hollow out the tips. I used thread locker on the threads. Then I took a Phillips head screw driver, inserted it from the other end of the carb body and proceeded to peen out the end of the screws (using that hole I drilled). I figure that aught to do a decent job of keeping them in there.
1978 CB750K Project
2000 Ducati ST2
...and a pedal bike

Join the AMA today!!

My project thread Part I: K8 Project "Parts Bike"
My project thread Part II: Finishing (yeah, right) touches on Project "Parts Bike"