Author Topic: 500F Transmission - the 4th is slipping  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Fabio_tull

• Up the Irons
500F Transmission - the 4th is slipping
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:44:09 am »
Hi there!

I am having a problem with my fourth gear slipping. I have to skip from the 3rd to 5th.
Does any one have a clue of what gear shoud I have to replace.

There are a folk offering me a 550 gear set but, I am not sure it can be the seme gear set.

Thanks for your help and greetings from Brazil!

Fabio

troppo

Re: 500F Transmission - the 4th is slipping
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:06:55 am »
Cant help you mate, sorry..
But this is a gear setup we are talking about, gears dont slip.......
I would check your clutch if i were you

Offline Fabio_tull

• Up the Irons
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 10:26:13 am »
I am sure it is not the Clutch (brand new)
The problem is that, in some of the grears, there are sone little "prongs" that fit on the sloted role of the gear rigt aside of it.

When this prongs worn out, if fall out just like when the transmission is on neutrals.

What I have to do is skip the fourth and jump from the thrid to the fifth.

I am surprised that any one of you have had this problem.

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:03:03 am »
I am sure it is not the Clutch (brand new)
The problem is that, in some of the grears, there are sone little "prongs" that fit on the sloted role of the gear rigt aside of it.

When this prongs worn out, if fall out just like when the transmission is on neutrals.

What I have to do is skip the fourth and jump from the thrid to the fifth.

I am surprised that any one of you have had this problem.
We may have a language problem here, so stay with me.

It's not really slipping then. It's actually jumping out of gear, into a false neutral.

If so you are right, its is the side meshing dogs that are worn...OR its more likely a bent shift fork. The longer you run it with a bent fork the more likely you'll wear the dogs more.

Finally, just to be clear, you can't really "skip" 4th gear, going from 3rd to 5th. You have to shift 3 to 4, then 4 to 5. You may not be letting out the clutch in 4th gear, but you can't "skip" it.

You'll have to inspect it by disassembling. Even if the primary problem is the shift fork, you'll likely want to replace the gear as well. And vice versa, I probably wouldn't replace the gear without replacing its respective shift fork.

It is very rare for 4th gear to be damaged and jump out of gear. Anything can happen.  It's usually 2nd gear.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:11:57 am by MCRider1 »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 01:29:59 pm »
I've had this issue on my 750, on disassembly I found that my shift forks were trashed.  Replaced them as a set and the problem went away.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 04:40:17 am »
The 500/4 had a weak gearbox and you hear this fairly often. My own does the same in third gear. The 550 won't fit as it was redesigned to get around the problem!

Only solution is a gearbox strip. I've seen a site on the internet where they show you how to do this without removing the engine, but the link I had saved is broken. Anyone know where

www.hondapeople.com/four/cb500/gearshift/500fgear.htm

is to be found now?

I've moved this in to the tech section as it is more appropriate.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 06:09:25 am by SteveD CB500F »
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline bryanj

• Really Old Timer ...
  • CB500 Number 1000036
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 05:08:08 am »
As Steve said you will have to strip the box to check, having removed the engine you can invert it and leave the top end alone and just work on the box. If its the centre selector you may well have a problem getting one. SOME gears from th4 550 will fit but only as mainshaft and countershaft "Pairs" and not all gears nor the complete box
www.cmsnl.com
www.davidsilverspares.co.uk

May have spares, but not the centre selector for some time, having said that i would try and get a parts book so you can identify which parts you need and order by part number as if it wont go into 4th its not the 4th gear you need---cant remember which so you will just have to inspect.

If all else fails a complete 550 engine will fit as long as you have the 550 RH rear engine mounting plate for the clutch cable stop (cable is the same as 500)
Semi Geriatric ex-Honda mechanic and MOT tester (UK version of annual inspection). Garage full of "projects" mostly 500/4 from pre 73 (no road tax in UK).

Remember "Its always in the last place you look" COURSE IT IS YOU STOP LOOKIN THEN!

Offline Fabio_tull

• Up the Irons
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 07:26:40 am »
Thanks for the feedbacks. (sorry for the missunderstanding)!
Chers!

Offline oldhondarider

• http://indimediaimages-shepdog.blogspot.com/
  • Hot Shot
  • http://indimediaimages-shepdog.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 07:28:27 am »
Hi there!

I am having a problem with my fourth gear slipping. I have to skip from the 3rd to 5th.
Does any one have a clue of what gear shoud I have to replace.

There are a folk offering me a 550 gear set but, I am not sure it can be the seme gear set.

Thanks for your help and greetings from Brazil!

Fabio

Can you takes some pics as you progress....?  I'm having the same problem on my 4th gear..
"I have never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A little bird will fall dead, frozen from a bough, without ever having felt sorry for itself."   D. H. Lawrence

Welsh Customs, Tacoma Washington

Offline Fabio_tull

• Up the Irons
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 04:16:00 am »
Hi everyone!

I have just got and replace one complete transmission set for my 500/4. There is a man here in Brazil that bring used parts from USA I guess.
The parts really looks great. He said that this transmission only had 20.000 miles. Unfortunately, I forgot taking pictures of it.
Well, the end of the story is my bike is like new again...no more worries on having to skip the 4th. :P
I still have the old parts with me. There is a guy here in Sao Paulo that can restore any parts of a bike (of course there is a bit high cost issue involved with this type work).
It cost me US$200 for the parts (gears, shafts, forks, bearings, springs, spacers) and US$120 for the replacement labor. It was my Christmas's gift to myself  ;)

Cheers

Fabio

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 05:03:23 am »
Glad to hear your bike is up and running again Fabio.....a Merry Christmas to you.  ;D

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 07:46:54 am »
Hmm...

Bryan told me that complete 500/4 gearbox on eBay.co.uk for £40 was a bargain.

Maybe I'd better buy it now.  8)
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)