Author Topic: Velocity Stacks & filtering?  (Read 8302 times)

Offline ieism

• Expert
Re: Velocity Stacks & filtering?
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2008, 10:20:15 pm »
Ha ha!
Did I mention the cool noise they make? It will make your bike sound like Satan smoking a bong. It doesn't get much cooler than that.
---cb550---

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 12:36:07 am »
A true velocity stack requires laminar air flow to operate properly.  A filter of any type near enough to the bell mouth to cause turbulence, pretty much relegates a velocity stack to the function of an ordinary tube.

If the air is laminar, the reduced cross section from entrance to minimum diameter of the stack compresses the air entering, when the velocity is high.  This packs more oxygen into the charge, enabling more fuel to be burned and more power output.  A stack by itself will not create a gain.  It must be accompanied by a fuel metering adjustment, and some high intake velocities (Mach number).

The stock set up has rubber "stacks" just ahead of the carbs.  The "stacks" are fed air from a plenum of filtered air.  Filters turbulate air due to their obstructive properties.  The plenum allows the air the settle some into a common pool before entering the "stacks".  The bell mouthed "stacks" do more to keep the air flow laminar (for the purpose of keeping high and low pressure variations from reaching the fuel jet outlet ports in the carb throat) than to behave as true velocity stack.  At least, at the velocities normally encountered here.

The drag racers of old used Velocity stacks to advantage, poking the inlet bells high above the vehicle where scooped air was unfettered body work.  They were long, too.  14 inches on some screaming V8 motors.

The short V stacks on MCs probably do more to keep the fuel metering within the carbs consistent than they do to actually compress the inlet air.  Of course, if your RPM is high enough to give a significant inlet air Mach numbers...

But, then if you are operating at very high RPMs, that alone is going to shorten your engine life between overhauls.  Most likely more than dust inhalation.  Speaking of dust inhalation, what kind of dust will your open stack suck in? The soft stuff, or the gritty stuff that sand blasts cylinder walls and erodes valve seats and faces?  And, if you are doing frequent overhauls, as racers do, will you care?

If you want the look of stacks without the hassles, you could do what Honda did on the CB700.  Faux stacks.  See Pic.

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

KingCustomCycles.com

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 03:46:34 am »
I like the sucking noise they make.  ::)

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 04:00:58 am »
+1 on the sucking noise.
 in an ideal world the movement of air thru an obstruction is best done by sucking rather than blowing, that's why your radiator fan is behind the radiator.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline KeithB

• Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 05:43:40 am »
It will make your bike sound like Satan smoking a bong.

THAT is very funny!

I was reading the thread and working out a suitable response when Terry nailed it.
This whole velocity stack thing is a real tuning issue.
If you dont do it right, why bother?
I see on my ST1100 that Honda went to a great deal of trouble to "stack" the carbs and provide a proper plenum to correct air flow.
A lot of this type of tuning is to even out the torque curve for street riding.
In a race application, you can tune the engine to be fierce in a narrow RPM range and then select the correct tranny and sprocket ratio for the track style.
Any contamination of the engine is not an issue due to the usual re- builds that racing requires.
I put pods on my '78 K Cafe and a header and then tuned the carbs to that setup.
Works well, looks good and keeps infants out of the engine... ;D
Nanahan Man