Author Topic: How Would You Treat This Mudflap To Soften It Up?  (Read 10510 times)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
How Would You Treat This Mudflap To Soften It Up?
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:54:21 pm »

I've got this rear mudflap for my CB77 Super Hawk. It is supposed to be somewhat flexible and yet it is hard like plastic and I'm looking for a suitable way to try to get it back in shape. What have you all used to take care of a problem like this? No matter what else I do to this Super Hawk, I Really want a rear mudflap on it.

Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!

Offline DaytonGuy

• Enthusiast
Re: How Would You Treat This Mudflap To Soften It Up?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:03:08 pm »
There were a few threads on here about a process to soften up hard carb boots and other rubber parts.  I wonder if that would work??

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 04:18:19 pm »
Hey Bill   I think boiling water was the best.
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

okie

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:43:55 pm »
Put the flap in a plastic or glass bowl of water.  Nuke it in the microwave.  So far, it has worked on everything I have tried.

Offline tbpmusic

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:47:30 pm »
Bill -

I had real good luck just soaking things in Xylol, from the hardware store.
Don't leave the parts in too long or they swell up, couple hours should do it.
I found it worked just as well without the wintergreen oil people were talking about - wintergreen oil is real expensive.
Worked great on my 450 intake manifolds, they were like limestone before, nice and flexble after.

I also had someone I trust tell me that soaking in plain ol' deisel fuel works too, but i didn;t actually try that.

bill2
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"

Bill Lane
 '71 CB450 Mutant/ '75 CB200/ '81 CM200/ '71 C70M

Offline tlbranth

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:48:30 pm »
I'm restoring a 1970 CB750 and have lots of rubber parts that're hard as a rock. I found a suggestion somewhere on the web that really worked. Put the part in a container (I used glass jars) with a lid on it. Squirt in some spray silicone - got mine at Schuck's. Shake it up to coat the part. Re-shake every day and leave in the jar for a week or so. Part comes out almost like new. It's amazing. Good luck.
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1970 CB750 K0
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500
2002 VT750-CDA ACE - Momma's bike
Terry

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:26:15 pm »

Whoa! :o With ALL these suggestions, I'm not sure which one to use. Decisions, Decisions. ??? ;)

Thanks to all who've posted on this too! I'll have to decide and let you all know what I did.

Take care, Bill ;)
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Offline Artfrombama

• Card-carrying, board certified
  • Hot Shot
  • CB750 K2
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 12:30:11 am »
Put on some soft music, buy it a few drinks, send it some flowers, tell it you love it....
Halfassed machinist
Tinkerer/goof-off/Mr. Fix-it
CB750-2011594 Sunrise Flake Orange
CB750E2441103

Offline HavocTurbo

• Angry little bastard of an
  • Old Timer
  • Can you tell?
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 12:33:02 am »
Put on some soft music, buy it a few drinks, send it some flowers, tell it you love it....

ah you bastard you beat me to it....

I was gonna say a bottle of scotch and a couple of phone books will have that pansy talking in no time.

;D ;D
'48 HD Panhead - Exxon Valdez
'78 CB550K - Fokker CB.3
'78 Honda CB750K - Mavrik
'80 Yamaha XS850G - Kanibalistik
09 XL883L - No Name

Offline HondanutRider

• Ride often - ride long - ride SAFE...and be an
  • Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 06:06:28 am »
That's a beautiful SuperHawk you have there.  Whatever you do to the flap, be careful.  I believe a replacement costs a small fortune!

Offline Uncle Ernie

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 07:36:52 am »
Good heavens Bill- I got the impression you had a shed full of junk! 
VEEEERY TASTY!
Dude- your 8 layers are showing!

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 06:14:08 pm »
I remember a post where someone used "oil of wintergreen" to restore rubber parts.  Also there's a product called "rubber restore"  I've got some somewhere but I've yet to try it on motorcycle parts.

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 06:23:08 am »
That's a beautiful SuperHawk you have there.  Whatever you do to the flap, be careful.  I believe a replacement costs a small fortune!

Good heavens Bill- I got the impression you had a shed full of junk! 
VEEEERY TASTY!

Guys,  I seem to have unknowingly mislead you two. Sadly, that isn't my Super Hawk. :( I was using that as an example as to where it goes (for those who didn't know about the Super Hawk mudflap. A number of those bikes are built in a custom style and never even consider that mudflap. I don't really know that it is that makes me want to keep that particular part on the bike, but I AM. My Super Hawk is still in the stages of build and will only resemble as much of the original appearance, as I can afford. I was very fortunate to have come up with the mudflap parts without "Breaking the Bank". As HondanutRider said, "Replacement parts can cost a small fortune!"  On the project, I'm still scavenging around for gas tank panels, the rubber kneepads that go on the panels, along with the emblems. Now the emblems costs will vary, depending on whether you go for the actual emblems or similar looking reproductions. The original ones can go for $150 or more. Needless to say, unless I fall into a "Sweet Deal", I won't be getting originals. I can start the thread on building the Super Hawk, before long, but I don't presently have the capability of doing photos online. Hopefully that will change before too long. As we know, photos do a bunch for a thread.

Hope you all are not too disappointed in me over the fact that that wasn't MY bike. I didn't intend to mislead anyone.

Take care, Bill ;)             
Member # 1969

okie

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 06:47:31 am »
You are gonna' use $20 buying all of those chemicals.  Try this eBay auction with a $22 BuyItNow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/vintage-Honda-motorcycle-mud-guard-CB77-Superhawk_W0QQitemZ110335987407QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10066QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

P.S  My USED mudflap cost me $92 plus shipping.  I sure would have bought this one if I had seen it. ;D ;D

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 12:14:57 pm »

Hey okie, Appreciate that! ;) I went to it and decided to go ahead and get that one. I'll still try to make the 1st one usable and, if I mess it up, I'll have a "back-up" to fall back on. I will still give some of those suggestions a try, starting with the least expensive ones first (Terry's idea so soak it in boiling water and okie's idea to "nuke it in a boil of water) and go from there. 

I've got one from a 175 (that I got from csendker), but it won't quite fit without modifications.

I'll let you all know how it turns out, Bill ;)
Member # 1969

Offline swan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 06:13:43 pm »
1975 CB400 F cafes, 1974 CB750 K4 Cafe, 1966/1976 Triumph/ Norton Triton Cafe and 1962 DBD34 BSA Gold Star Clubman.

CB750 build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=52551.0

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 10:49:07 am »

Well okie, I got that one from ebay along with the Proper mounts for a bit more than I wanted to spend, but looks pretty nice though. 8)

Thanks again for pointing that out.

Member # 1969

upperlake04

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 11:11:12 am »
  Bill - some methods will temporarily soften rubber and plastic but I haven't found any way that will permanently restore their original softness.  The carb boots that soaked in ArmourAll for 6 months at room temperature  aren't any more pliable now than then. Well maybe a bit, but that was probably from kneading them.  Old things are supposed to get stiff and lose their lustre, it's the way of the world. :)

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 10:42:23 am »
  Bill - some methods will temporarily soften rubber and plastic but I haven't found any way that will permanently restore their original softness.  The carb boots that soaked in ArmourAll for 6 months at room temperature  aren't any more pliable now than then. Well maybe a bit, but that was probably from kneading them.  Old things are supposed to get stiff and lose their lustre, it's the way of the world. :)

Ha! Ha! :D  That's about the way I Feel, "Stiff AND lost my "Luster"! ::) At least, as far as the mudflap goes, I was able to get me a good one (reproduction) that wasn't bad priced AND a set of mount pieces to boot. Thanks to okie for cluing me onto that. ;) 
Member # 1969