Author Topic: Lets see your SOHC bike out on the road!  (Read 1325930 times)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Re: Lets see your SOHC bike out on the road!
« Reply #7300 on: January 09, 2019, 03:38:11 am »
As about 99.9% of the snow has melted off, and we had a bit of a heatwave with a high temp of 61*, I decided to blow the cobwebs off the Seeley, or at least get all the oil out the sump and back into the oil tank. ;D Mostly putted around town, as well as going up into the foothills east of town until I ran out of pavement. When I was taking the pics, I saw a sundog, so I snapped a pic of it, too.

Oh yes, I could live in Arizona for a while.  Drove  Tombstone to Grand Canyon in 2013.

But what is a sundog?

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #7301 on: January 09, 2019, 03:41:28 am »
Ok, educated myself  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

But i like the name sun dog better than parhelium as it is called in Czech.  :D

Offline joeyvans

• Definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • God's Country, Earth
« Reply #7302 on: January 09, 2019, 04:01:52 am »
Ok, educated myself  ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_dog

But i like the name sun dog better than parhelium as it is called in Czech.  :D

We see them far too often in the winter months up here in Fargo. Seems to happen on a cold, bright day after fresh snowfall. But I digress. Wish I could post a pic of my SOHC on the road, but with the current wind chill of -21* F, I’d rather not take it out of the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1976 CB550 K2
Non-SOHC4 - 1974 CB450 K7
Non-SOHC4 - 1996 VFR750F

"No matter how much you shake and dance... the last three drops go in your pants."

Offline Bankerdanny

• Eventually I will be old enough in reality to be
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Endeavor to persevere
« Reply #7303 on: January 11, 2019, 10:23:26 am »
As about 99.9% of the snow has melted off, and we had a bit of a heatwave with a high temp of 61*, I decided to blow the cobwebs off the Seeley, or at least get all the oil out the sump and back into the oil tank. ;D Mostly putted around town, as well as going up into the foothills east of town until I ran out of pavement. When I was taking the pics, I saw a sundog, so I snapped a pic of it, too.

That looks fantastic Scott, I must try setting up the multi-spark ignition I've had in a box for many years, it was for an RC Suzuki GS1000 but from memory it'll work on a CB750. I love the view of that town too, reminds me of a doco I watched about where Evel Knievel grew up. ;D

I had one on my GL1000 and was very happy with it. I wish I had switched back to points and kept the Gerex when I sold that bike.
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln

Current: '76 CB750F. Previous:  '75 CB550F, 2007 Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000, '77 CB550k, '68 Suzuki K10 80, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, '89 Yamaha FJ1200

Offline irish44395

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7304 on: January 13, 2019, 04:08:24 pm »
found a new mural near St Pete Beach

Offline Mr.Mazza

• The man from down under
« Reply #7305 on: January 29, 2019, 12:52:03 am »
Out for a Australia Day ride, one of my club mates is a professional photography

Driving a car is watching a movie, riding a motorcycle is starring in the movie

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #7306 on: January 31, 2019, 10:00:00 pm »
Like Mazza I took Old Red out for a scoot on the Australia Day public holiday. It was a little too hot for my liking, but the old beast took it in it's stride. ;D

Terry's Redneck Old Red ride 28 Jan 2019 2 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Terry's Redneck Old Red ride 28 Jan 2019 2.jpg 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr 
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline MauiK3

• A K3 is saved
  • Old Timer
  • Old guy
« Reply #7307 on: February 01, 2019, 08:36:50 am »
You guys are having a heat wave just as the Midwest US is having the opposite.
1973 CB 750 K3
10/72 build Z1 Kawasaki

Offline joeyvans

• Definitely not a
  • Hot Shot
  • God's Country, Earth
« Reply #7308 on: February 01, 2019, 09:02:42 am »
You guys are having a heat wave just as the Midwest US is having the opposite.

Hell, It’s going to be +21* F today here in Fargo, ND. That’s a 60* swing from 2 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1976 CB550 K2
Non-SOHC4 - 1974 CB450 K7
Non-SOHC4 - 1996 VFR750F

"No matter how much you shake and dance... the last three drops go in your pants."

Offline Old Moe Toe

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7309 on: February 23, 2019, 10:15:10 pm »
Still summer here.
This is my K0 today, as far south as you can go (on bitumen) in Australia.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7310 on: February 23, 2019, 10:20:25 pm »
beautiful bike in an iconic location!...so cool
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Old Moe Toe

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7311 on: February 23, 2019, 11:03:45 pm »
beautiful bike in an iconic location!...so cool

Cheers Sean. It is an amazing place, there is a small seaside village called Southport nearby where the water is so clean it almost seems invisible. Also it is a dead end road going this way so there is hardly any traffic.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7312 on: February 24, 2019, 10:44:47 pm »
Still summer here.
This is my K0 today, as far south as you can go (on bitumen) in Australia.

What were you doing in Victoria mate? ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7313 on: March 03, 2019, 12:46:51 am »
Well it was another stinking hot day again today, I'd planned to take a look at the big red bike's front end to determine if the humming noise that I noticed on my ride last weekend was anything to worry about (that I need to fix before I hand it over to the winning Ebay bidder) or just the sound of the tyre rolling on the road, but I allowed myself to get roped into picking up my youngest son from the airport, he's been working interstate on a TV show and his mother volunteered to collect him, when it would have been easier for everyone if he just caught a cab.

Anyway, when we finally got home, I had to get on a bike and go. I threw on some jeans and boots, and escaped to the garage. Of course there was no fuel in the K2's tank (I stole it for Big Red) so I returned the favor and siphoned 5 litres out of big red's tank, and tipped it into the K2. It fired up instantly (gotta love hot weather) but ran like sh1t. I looked down, and there was fuel pouring out of one of the overflow tubes. Bugger. I grabbed a pair of multi grips and tapped each float bowl until it stopped, and the bike started running properly on all 4. Good enough. Jacket on, helmet on, gloves on, go!

Sunday Redneck Ride 3 March 2019 6 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Anyhoo, first stop was my local Caltex to fill the tank, then up the freeway. I was trying to remember how to get onto the backroads where I road tested the Royal Enfields a few weeks ago. I eventually found them, and took the bends at a much more relaxed pace than last time. I eventually worked my way back onto the Calder highway, and took this pic outside Bob Jane's "Thunderdome", Australia's first (and only) Nascar track. I'm not sure what happened to Nascar here, we had an "Auscar" series as well, but it all seemed to fizzle out after only a couple of years, which is disappointing. The complex also has a drag strip and drifting track, so must still be operating, as the gate was open when I got there.

Sunday Redneck Ride 3 March 2019 3 by Terry Prendergast, on Flickr

Anyway, by the time I took that pic it was over 100 degrees again, so I turned for home. I'm almost (only almost) looking forward to some cooler weather! ;D

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7314 on: March 05, 2019, 08:15:36 pm »
Near Comfort Texas weekend before last, beautiful weather, took the wife to lunch, nice ride, stopped for photo.  Closer to home bike started losing power, backfiring, kept riding it and it cleared up.  Wife didn't have to walk home so it was a very good day.  And now I get to play in the garage checking out fuel / ignition.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #7315 on: March 11, 2019, 08:03:09 pm »
Near Comfort Texas weekend before last...

Nice pic Rich.  Need me to send you a side cover badge?!!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #7316 on: March 12, 2019, 05:24:33 pm »
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #7317 on: March 12, 2019, 05:25:42 pm »
 This was Byron Dragway, ^ 2017. It seems I haven't gone anywhere recently.
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
If you love it, set it free, if it stays it's probably one of my 750's.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.

Offline richmagee7

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7318 on: March 13, 2019, 02:48:51 pm »
Near Comfort Texas weekend before last...

Nice pic Rich.  Need me to send you a side cover badge?!!

Thanks Steve, I have the old one from the busted side cover.  Just trying to get the paint right first, actually ordered some paint last night off ebay.  We'll see how it turns out.

Offline Dunk

• Expert
« Reply #7319 on: March 17, 2019, 04:56:09 pm »
The weather finally broke so I headed out to the weekly vintage group ride. Fortunately I wasn't the only one to show up! I'm no longer the only one with a 750.

Offline evinrude7

• not a kung-fu
  • Master
  • something to hüsker
« Reply #7320 on: March 17, 2019, 05:57:25 pm »
The weather finally broke so I headed out to the weekly vintage group ride. Fortunately I wasn't the only one to show up! I'm no longer the only one with a 750.

nice bikes. 
cb750 k6 - ugly

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #7321 on: March 18, 2019, 01:38:23 am »
im having a week of work right now,its been pissing rain but eased up today,a mate who mows lawns took the day off too slushy to work so we went for a coupla hour ride this morning,nothing fancy,heres the outpost café Canungra.

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7322 on: March 18, 2019, 02:13:41 am »
Looking good Dave, the weather is great here, but rain later in the week, which is good too, as its very dry. What sort of Yamaha is that? ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #7323 on: March 18, 2019, 02:19:43 am »
its a 99 tdm,hes also got a trx and a tenere 660 or some #$%*ing thing,he sold his little gs450 café that I liked and hes gone all adventure man!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7324 on: March 18, 2019, 02:39:56 am »
Yeah, those adventure bikes are very addictive Dave, they go well on dirt and on tar. I loved my BMW R1100GS, was a better road bike than a lot of road bikes, and fine on dirt roads too. ;D