Author Topic: Another project 750  (Read 3537 times)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Another project 750
« on: January 18, 2009, 11:22:53 pm »
Hello all, I have decided to build myself an old classic with a twist. I started out 30 years buying my first bike a K1 750, from there i owned , over a period of time, 18 of these things, they seem to be addictive.. ;). I then went through the super bike phase as i had a couple of good friends that used to race so i kinda tagged along. To cut a long story short, i got very ill a while ago and had to reassess my mortality, so I've gone back to "old faithful" the 750/4 honda. I bought an old drag bike of an engineer i met and started to collect bits and pieces. I came to a few dead ends while looking for parts locally and while surfing the net i came across you guys, got in contact with Terry, {yeah i know, was  that a good thing or not  ;D} and its all systems go once again. I only have a few pics at the moment but you will get the general idea.

This is the drag bike, she ran on methanol and was very quick.{Terry, thats your cerianni's.. ;D}

trial fitting wheels and front end, GSXR 1100K front end with 50mm extensions.

You've got to love fat tyres.....

These are the "rare" 31mm smoothbores and stacks.

Another look at the front end, you can see the extensions at the top of the forks.
The Honda steering stem pressed straight into the GSXR triple clamps, too easy.

This is a GSXR1100J model swing arm heavily modded to fit. It is about 40mm longer than stock and no mods were needed to fit it into the frame, it slipped straight in.
I am currently waiting for some bits and the money market has added value to everything i need to buy, so slowly but surely its all coming together, More soon.

Mick

750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
Re: Another project 750
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:12:00 pm »
The tank with the sign writing is the tank i'm going to use but the badge holes haved been filled in, what would be the best way to remove the automotive filler, is there a product the will soften or remove it?

Cheers....Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline DollarBill

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:51:18 pm »
Welcome to the board!  This looks like an exciting project!

So what mods were done to the swingarm.... "This is a GSXR1100J model swing arm heavily modded to fit. It is about 40mm longer than stock and no mods were needed to fit it into the frame, it slipped straight in."

How wide is the rear rim? 
1975 CB750F Project Yellow Jacket - CBR600rr Swinger GSXR 600 Forks
1955 BMW R25/3, 1966 Honda CA160, 1975 CB400f, 1975 CB550, 1976 CB550

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 06:03:49 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Dollar bill. The swing arm was originally a monoshock set up so that part of it had to be removed. It wasd then shortened as much as possible without affecting tyre clearance as the inside left side of the arm tapers in slightly, i was hoping to get it to stock length but now i think the extra length will add some stability to the bike. The rear rim is off a GSXR 750J model and is 4.5 inches X 17 and looks great. I had some material machined off the sprocket carrier to get the chain over a bit closer to line it up properly. I will still have to buy an offset front sprocket to get it perfect, i will get one from cycle X.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 06:05:53 pm »
G'Day Mick, I can't see hosted pics on my Defence Department computer, but I'll check it out on the computer at my parents place tonight. (Working at RAAF East Sale all this week)

I use an electric sander with a 3M "strip disk" (nylon) to remove paint and bog (bondo, body filler etc) and when you get to the holes for the badges, I use an oxy/acetylene torch and a wire brush to just burn that stuff out.

I can't see your tank at the moment, but if it's got a nice custom paint job or mural on it, I might be interested in swapping you a good standard tank for it? I really love period bike art of the era and hate to see it destroyed, so if you just want another good tank, let me know? Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 06:08:02 pm »
Thanks Terry, nah no custom paint just some advertising..I may have totalk to you about another tank anyway as i now have a spare K frame.

Mick
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:11:26 pm by retro rocket »
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Ecosse

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Member #4139
    • My 550 walk around video
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 04:14:01 pm »
I'm with Terry (cause for concern?) about the tank art. Even old signage IMO is of interest. Dig the tank on the dragster too.
1974 CB550K     

Help stop TORTURE and SLAUGHTER of cats, dogs, and other kept animals.                                                  www.animalsasia.org

Your 1%er name

A WORTHY EFFORT: http://www.honorflight.org.

Offline DonD

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 04:26:53 pm »
I used several coats of paint stripper on my bondo'd badge area.  It does a pretty good job of removing the stuff.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 05:36:55 pm »
Thanks Don. I have some heavy duty stripper so i might give that a go before i use heat.
Hi Ecosse, yeah i like the old signwriting as well but these tanks are getting hard to find in Aus. Interesting note, the tank on the drag bike has 2 fuel taps, one on each side, the guy i got it off said he had to do this to get enough fuel to the beast. It ran on methanol, all RC Engineering and Venolia internals.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 12:33:58 am »
G'Day Mick, I finally got home tonight and saw your pics for the first time, very nice mate!

Hey can I have that front fender to go with the Cerrani's and the brembo brakes? That'd look nice on my racer project with Ron's (MCRider1) Borrani rimmed front wheel! 

I've got a few tanks hanging up on my garage wall mate, so it won't be a problem. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:03:01 am »
I suppose, if your a good boy you can have the guard.... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 01:10:33 am »
I suppose, if your a good boy you can have the guard.... ;D

Mick

Damn! Always a bloody catch.......... Hey has Gordon sent the removable rail kit yet? I haven't seen anything yet? Cheers, Terry. ;D

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 01:12:58 am »
I think its coming soon, there was a mention in another thread. Its going straight to you.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 02:21:19 pm »
 Hi terry, Did you want the tank with the sign writing on it ?

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 03:49:59 pm »
Yeah mate, if you don't want it, and I'll be happy to swap you another tank for it. (I might have to pull a couple of dents out first though...........)

Have you been up to your property to grab those Cerrani's yet mate? No rush, but I'm interested in whether they do use the OEM triples, or Cerrani items?   ;D

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 03:59:31 pm »
The tank is dead straight so i think i'll keep it. From memory the cerianni's have different triple trees so they might be cerianni as well. The property is a 5 hour drive up the coast, its hard to find the time to get up there just now but i'll do it soon.

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc