Author Topic: speedometer doesn't work  (Read 1617 times)

Offline uwjberg

• Enthusiast
speedometer doesn't work
« on: February 02, 2009, 02:30:02 pm »
so the speedometer on my '75 750F doesn't work - the light comes on, but the needle doesn't move. the drive on the wheel functions, and the cable is ok. what can i do to fix this? when i searched, i heard mention of replacing the gear, but i didn't see any pics or description of the problem. what are my options, aside from replacement?

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: speedometer doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 02:34:04 pm »
So if you unscrew the cable from the clock and spin the front wheel, the end of the cable toward the clock turns OK? Is the end of the cable, or the socket in the clock rounded?
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline uwjberg

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 02:52:17 pm »
the cable definitely turns, but i'll double check tonight to see if the end or the socket in the speedo is rounded off.

if it's rounded, can that part be replaced?

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:10:13 pm »
Another option is to leave it alone, motorcycle speedometers aren't all that accurate anyway.  The bicycle computers made by SIGMA will read up to 198mph or so, and include an odometer, trip Odo, average speed, total ride time, clock, etc.  They are all weatherproof, battery operated, and one model has a nice backlit display for night riding.  Be sure to use a wired version as the ignition system will interfere with the pulse counter.  I got mine from eBay fro 13.50 USD shipped.  Search the web for more info, it's a common upgrade.

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:22:53 pm »
I have a solution that may work for you..

If the cable is still turning ok - you need to confirm this
If the end is rounded off or not connecting with the drive properly - you need to confirm this also

I presume the cable is lubed nicely and no kinks, bends in it
I also presume the cable mounts to the speedo nice and firm - not cross threaded ...

Get some small sections of heat shrink that will slide over the end of the exposed cable - 1/2 -3/4" length would be plenty.

Put one section over the cable and shrink it down - trim the end flush - insert and test.

If that doesn't work - put another section over the first and shrink it down - trim  - test.

I did this on a cb250 Tacho that refused to spin - only when you squeezed/pushed the cable into the back of the tacho did it jump about wildly.
after a doule layer of heat shrink - it worked as smooth as...and was still going strongly when I sold the bike..
My local repairer has used this method at least twice on customers bikes who have not wanted to buy another speedo/tacho - because the end was rounded out on the speedo/tacho/ and or cable..

give it a try.....
 :)

fuzzybutt

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 05:15:18 pm »
mine worked sometimes, sometimes i'd hit 80 or so and it would drop to 0, new, unkinked cable too. i pulled the speedo off of the bracket, filled it with denatured alcohol, shook it good. let it sit for a few minutes, shook it again and dumber id out. i did this 3 times till the alcohol pouring out was clear. worked like a charm after that and the denatured alcohol wont leave deposits on the glass so  it looks ok afterwords.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 06:12:05 pm »
 I just KNEW when I saw this thread title it had to be a 75F. Most of them broke....they are faulty. Mine broke early on (1977 I believe). That's what they do unfortunately. ::) The 75 750F test bike for Cycle Guide broke its speedo too.....I have the magazine with the write up.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:52:35 pm »
Don't you sonsa#$%*es jink my old ass   :o  Mine is original and still workED fine last time I was on it. NOS tachs are available (if you know where to get them!) but the speedo is non-existent. You can't even find anyone to give you the correct color overlay with the correct redline!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:27:14 am »
Jerry,
I have a speedo & tacho I got from the states some time ago.

Redline - or should I say yellowline is 8500 for the tacho - quite faded,
speedo has yellow tip on the needle same as the tacho needle
speedo is in mph - shows 18,303 miles.

I think I have another one that is in KM/H which is what I needed for Australian conditions...

got to check the bike soon - it has been in storage for nearly 12 months so I have to give it a birthday greeting.....

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 01:21:57 am »
Charlie,

Within the past month there was a NOS speedo on EBay in OZ. I about #$%* my pants until I saw it was KPH. Pisser. At least the tachs are the same. Hope you like your NOS David Silver Spares tach! The redline is NOT a yellowish white line!  ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)