Author Topic: My '72 Cb750 build "As Cheaply As Possible"  (Read 1591 times)

DirtyUnderWhere

My '72 Cb750 build "As Cheaply As Possible"
« on: February 06, 2009, 08:33:21 am »
Here she was when I first got her (terrible pic, I know, but it's all I got of the early days)

Then I added clubmans and pod filters...

Next it was time for me to make a cafe seat! I made it completely from found or free objects!
I cut a '73 yamaha tx500 (freebie) tank for the speed hump, and bent up a street sign (I work for a municipality so I can get street signs that are getting thrown away) for the pan. here's the street sign.

Here's a shot of the two joined to form the seat pan... yes those are blocks of wood and bolts holding it together

Here it is right side up and shot with black

Next I made the pad out of an old seat pad from a three wheeler that I cut down with an electric turkey knife. Then a seat pan made out of an old crime stoppers sign, some leather I cut off an old office chair, and some 3m spray glue and pop rivets with washers under them to hold it all together and... A seat pad for free!

For my bump stop I cut some padded flooring into two pieces attatched them together and covered it with more of the office chair leather held back with staples this time...

And here's my No Cost No Weld No Sew Cafe Seat!

DirtyUnderWhere

Re: My '72 Cb750 build "As Cheaply As Possible"
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:55:02 am »
With my cafe seat built, and my stock seat still able to go on for two up, I was on my way!
Up next was an old set of cut-down drag pipes that came with the bike when I bought it.

The chrome on them was terrible... and I'm not much of a chrome guy so I wrapped the pipes.

Up next was a fender eliminate. So I pulled off the fender and grab bar and in keeping with the "as cheaply as possible" theme, I made brackets to mount the turn signals out of a street sign...

Then I needed a brake and taillight... but I couldn't find one small enough around town. So I bought two round lights, one regular bulb, one with three L.E.D.s. My thought being that the L.E.D. would be WAY brighter and that would be the brake light.

Then I made a template with a place to bolt on an old tag holder I had laying around, cut it out of a street sign...

then I painted it and put it all together.

Then I attatched a piece of metal to the fender bracket and attatched the light assembly to that. I did this to put the lights at the very back of my seat.

Then I painted all of the little bits on the motor and the pipes...

And here she sits now...

More to come as I get around to it...

Offline captaincrash80

• I better build something before I'm no longer considered a
  • Enthusiast
  • Member #4842
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 11:00:56 am »
Comin together real good man, love the cheap as possible aspect of it. Woulda never thought of using old street signs for brackets. Keep it up!

DirtyUnderWhere

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:12 am »
Thanks cap'n
Up next is to fix my headlight problem (see my post in the sohc/4 bikes section) which has put the brakes on everything else. After that I'm gonna pull my bike down and paint the tins and the frame. So hopefully soon I'll have something to add.