Author Topic: What "Biker Look" are you?  (Read 55138 times)

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: What "Biker Look" are you?
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2009, 09:26:04 am »
I am the same dimensions and find that Italian shirts (try Bennetton) work well as do the jackets - Spidi, AGV Stinger (this is $200 and looks like a solid leather jacket - I dont have one yet but the fit is apparently snug and the arms look long). Also try Fieldsheer Deuce (I was better than II for me in terms of fit - II was a little more room in the torso but arms were ok). I am 6`4, 34` waist and 35-36` arms  (or 37` - longest shirt sleeve basically).

Unfortunately Tourmaster, Coretch, Hein Gericke were all too short in the arms.

cheers
Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2009, 09:39:10 am »
What up! I am retro, as much as I can anyhoo. Safety is always first priority, then be a character because like jmil20 said it could be your last, I will most likely get a full face helmet this year for the highway rides.

Jason?

God you look familiar..... Ever live in wyoming?

Oh, almost forgot the point to the thread...
I dare not post my pic... wouldn't want to crack all your monitors.
 ;D ;D

l8r
No I haven't lived there, born and bred here in KC Missouri... I do have one of those familiar faces though, you wouldn't believe how many times I have been told that. All though I am a sign maker and have traveled all over the country; some places twice, installing signs for many different movie theatres and convention centers. I have not been up there yet, but I would like to. Been up to the Kennedy center of performing arts in D.C to Coco beach and Orlando in beautiful Fla, all the way out to Park City Utah(Love to go back) I even have been stuck in traffic out in crazy town aka L.A.(burbank), and Miniappolis, Memphis, Virginia beach, Omaha, Tunica( outside of Memphis in Mississippi),Grapvine,Dallas,Katy, Houston.... Too many places to list and it will grow bigger when I can get the bike on the road full time
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline NickC

• Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2009, 10:05:54 am »
What do you guys recommend for us tall guys - I'm 6'5" with a 33" waist, I believe "lanky" wouldn't be entirely inappropriate. Jackets don't typically fit me well, especially with my arms outstretched. I'd have to go with an XL for the length, but then there'd be enough room inside to fit two of me.

I've seen a couple brands that have specific "tall" sizes. What should I look at in the realm of "inexpensive without sacrificing quality"?

Try one that has integrated or removable armor, it may fit tight enough to work and still have the length

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2009, 01:19:56 pm »
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline j-conn

• Hot Shot
  • Federico Fabrizi
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2009, 01:42:15 pm »
sounds like an onion report lol
1976 CB550
Member #7772

Offline A Grove

• Some people call me a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2009, 01:56:59 pm »
Minus the gloves... BTW - if you're in the market for a new helmet, LOOK AT SCORPION.  Out of all that I tried on, scorpions fit the best, and overall seemed like some of the nicest quality per buck spent.  I went for the top-o-line model with the "cool" flip down/up sunshades, NICE venting, and the sweet air-pumpable chin/jaw pads ;)  Really slick helmet for a price of ~ $400.

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2009, 06:57:57 pm »
I however completely realize that if I go down I will be ripped to shreds. I hope everyone else realizes that, next time they leave the house in shorts.

That's the realization that I live with.  I dare not wear shorts but I know my jeans and shirt will be no match for pavement..

Quote from: jason teamshralp
Also please wear long socks, when riding. Not for protection but you look retarded, with the gap between your shoes, and your pants while riding.

Hilarious!

Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline jason teamshralp

• Enthusiast
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2009, 07:06:19 pm »
Bummer they spelt Honda backwards.

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2009, 07:15:03 pm »
I thought this fit into this thread quite well...

I myself usually ride in full face, bandana, leather jacket, jeans, gloves, and under-armor leggings if it's cold.

A buddy of mine went down last year and will wear full leathers no matter what. It was 100 degrees out side and he was rocking a full pants/jacket set up.

I realize that if I go down at more then 30 mph the only thing that will matter is my jacket and helmet. I have rode BMX for 12 years and know how to crash. I know that sounds funny but, I have crashed in many of ridiculous ways, and for the most part get away with minor stuff. That however is without a 400 lbs. motorcycle chasing you and cars. I however completely realize that if I go down I will be ripped to shreds. I hope everyone else realizes that, next time they leave the house in shorts.

Also please wear long socks, when riding. Not for protection but you look retarded, with the gap between your shoes, and your pants while riding.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline jaknight

• Hot Shot
  • ....Round Town Ride......
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2009, 08:16:01 pm »
Well,

Less than 200 yards from my home a woman pulled out from a STOP sign and did a left turn in front of me (so what if I had the right of way on a straight road?).

I went through the windshield and ended up in the front seat alongside her.  Banged up, bloody, but no broken bones.

What saved me? Tall leather engineer's boots...... the leather was scuffed, ripped......... but saved my feet.

A Shoei-made-Honda issue full face helmet.  The visor went first into the windshield, broke the windshield and came out of it with not even a scratch on it.........

A Vanson old style (ala Marlon Brando The Wild Ones) heavy leather jacket......... protected my arms, shoulders, and belly......... not a mark on the jacket...........

And, oh yes, on this one, the Original Super Power was riding with me.  I now always go with the big leather boots, the full helmet, and the good thick leather jacket.
Edit add on: I forgot, another post reminded me...... Really good leather gloves.... gash marks across them..... but saved the hands.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:55:35 pm by jaknight »
"THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD........
..........EXCEPT IN A SWORD FIGHT"

Offline drackett_19

• '75 cb550K
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2009, 08:40:40 pm »
in the city I just run a Biltwell helmet, jeans and some vans. On the highway its a full face lid, leather jacket and some leather work boots. oh..and leather gloves all the time! gotta keep the hands safe. ;D

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2009, 10:43:29 pm »
in the city I just run a Biltwell helmet, jeans and some vans. On the highway its a full face lid, leather jacket and some leather work boots. oh..and leather gloves all the time! gotta keep the hands safe. ;D

This is always one of the more common themes that arises whenever the discussion turns to safety gear, but it really shouldn't be so common.  Wearing less safety gear when riding in town, on surface streets with intersections, when you're more likely to be involved in a wreck than on the highway, just doesn't add up. :-\

Ryan 550k

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2009, 01:22:14 am »

This is always one of the more common themes that arises whenever the discussion turns to safety gear, but it really shouldn't be so common.  Wearing less safety gear when riding in town, on surface streets with intersections, when you're more likely to be involved in a wreck than on the highway, just doesn't add up. :-\

You make a good point Gordon.  Full gear should be worn at all times, not matter what.  It's just logical. 
I think the lower speeds are what make many of us think it's ok to be a little dressed down :-\

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2009, 06:29:39 am »
I couldn't resist...

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2009, 06:40:36 am »
You make a good point Gordon.  Full gear should be worn at all times, not matter what.  It's just logical. 
I think the lower speeds are what make many of us think it's ok to be a little dressed down :-\

I don't mean to sound too lecture-y (not really a word, I know ;D), but I've seen that same sentiment posted multiple times in this thread already, and I couldn't keep my mouth shut anymore. 

We're all adults here who have every right to make decisions for ourselves, and I respect everyone's personal choices even if I don't understand them. 

I'm sure there are plenty of members here who think I'm a fool for not wearing leather pants in addition to my boots, jacket, gloves and full helmet.  And you know what?  They're right.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2009, 06:49:44 am »
Now back on topic...

This is not the helmet I have, but it's the one I want! 8) 8)

upperlake04

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2009, 06:58:43 am »
 U.S. motorcycle accident statistics provided by Motorcycle-Accidents.com:  This is from a law firm so it must be true. :)

-In 2006, 4,938 people were killed in motorcycle accidents.

-Vehicle failure (motorcycle) accounted for less than 3% of motorcycle accidents.

-Weather is not a factor in 98% of motorcycle accident cases.

-The majority of motorcycle accidents occur while the victim is making a short trip and is close to home.

-Nearly two thirds of motorcycle accidents involving multiple vehicles occurred because the motor vehicle operator violated the motorcyclist’s right of way.

-Almost half of all accidents show involved the use of alcohol.

-Riders and passengers who wear helmets have significantly lower numbers of reported head and neck injuries than riders and passengers who do not wear helmets.

-Less than 10% of motorcycle riders involved in accidents had insurance to provide medical benefits or property replacement benefits in the event of an accident.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2009, 07:01:40 am »

-Less than 10% of motorcycle riders involved in accidents had insurance to provide medical benefits or property replacement benefits in the event of an accident.

Wow!  I knew all the other stuff already, but this one surprised me. ??? ???

Xterrain

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2009, 07:10:14 am »
I wear an Arai Vortex in Matt Frost Black with a black face shield, a black Joe Rocket Nova 2.0 textile jacket, Joe Rocket carbon knuckle gloves, blue jeans and black high top Chuck Taylor converses. My bike is in the works, but I bought everything to match the bike...all black gear on a vintage/modern build. My 74' 550K has a carbon fiber tank with cream white stripes side and center, Pinas bars, black Progression Susp. shocks, leather wrapped seat and seat cowl with white stitching, custom hand built raw finish exhaust w/ black heatshields, K&N pods filters all stock chrome, chrome cut front fender, 6" diameter headlamp with custom bracket, Pirelli Demon tires front and rear, the list goes on and on but the look Im going for is vintage styling with a decent amount of modern flavor mixed with new technology. Im working on a custom mapped fuel injection system that will hopefully be done sometime next year [2010]; the bike itself is still in the works and will be completed April 30th.

BTW, in 2006 4,938 people died on bikes, but you didnt hear about the 20,000,000 that didnt even lay it over.

Offline bikerboycb650

• Enthusiast
  • And YOU must be the Monopoly guy!
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2009, 07:28:13 am »

-The majority of motorcycle accidents occur while the victim is making a short trip and is close to home.

Hmm, I had no idea about these two... I figured close to home (a few miles) would be the opposite.

Offline NickC

• Hot Shot
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2009, 07:31:55 am »

Hmm, I had no idea about these two... I figured close to home (a few miles) would be the opposite.

This is the same for vehicle accidents. It happens because a person feels more familiar with the area and is generally less aware.

But I do agree with Gordon. I'm not going to slam someone for not wearing proper equipment. It's a personal choice. People slam me for riding a motorcycle instead of having a car for safety. Again, personal choice.
I choose to wear all my gear , short of leather pants/chaps, because I want to be fairly protected WHEN something happens.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2009, 07:32:50 am »

Think about it this way:  Every time you leave for a ride, regardless of how long of a ride it's going to be, you're riding close to home, and every time you come back from a ride, regardless of how long you were gone or how far away you rode, you're riding close to home.  It's the most common place you ride, so statistically it's going to be the most common location for a wreck to happen.

upperlake04

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2009, 07:37:35 am »
BTW, in 2006 4,938 people died on bikes, but you didnt hear about the 20,000,000 that didnt even lay it over.

True.  A quick review of the stats show that those that did were likely self-taught, booze fueled, helmetless male 16-24 olds with less than 5 months riding experience and recent traffic citations who were riding at 29.8 mph after dark on a semi-chopper or cafe racer on a short trip close to home and were hit at an intersection by an oncoming passenger vehicle turning left which didn't see him.
 Pay attention boys if you are in that category. :-\

Offline bikerboycb650

• Enthusiast
  • And YOU must be the Monopoly guy!
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2009, 07:46:06 am »

Think about it this way:  Every time you leave for a ride, regardless of how long of a ride it's going to be, you're riding close to home, and every time you come back from a ride, regardless of how long you were gone or how far away you rode, you're riding close to home.  It's the most common place you ride, so statistically it's going to be the most common location for a wreck to happen.

True, never thought of it that way.  I am actually going to try the suit, half helmet, shades/gloves/boots, and knee pads this weekend. Just around town. Either I will look really cool, or like a Wall street Napoleon Dynamite.

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2009, 08:02:14 am »
I hate to talk about the topic too....but I'm 53 and have never had an accident ( car or bike )...O.K., call me conceited but how I ride is based on the decision I made a long time ago that I am INVISABLE to all other traffic...if there is a car at a T junction...it will come out because it does not see me...does this make for a 'slow, brake-twitching' ride..not at all..but it's just practice.
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....