Author Topic: What "Biker Look" are you?  (Read 55143 times)

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
Re: What "Biker Look" are you?
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2009, 08:07:38 am »
I hate to talk about the topic too....but I'm 53 and have never had an accident ( car or bike )...O.K., call me conceited but how I ride is based on the decision I made a long time ago that I am INVISABLE to all other traffic...if there is a car at a T junction...it will come out because it does not see me...does this make for a 'slow, brake-twitching' ride..not at all..but it's just practice.

+1

Most motorcycle wrecks I hear of, even when technically caused by a car driver, could have been avoided by the biker had he been riding with that thought in mind. 

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 2012 CBR250R, 72 CL350, Member #4600
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2009, 08:23:54 am »
See, that's why I wear chaps.  I figure a cop could be making a right turn with lights and sirens etc, and still get hit but when I'm wearing chaps, I'll put money on people noticing me. ;D  Maybe the accident there will become target fixation, but at least I'll be seen.

...yes, I'm joking.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
2012 CBR250R "Black Betty"
1980 CB650c- (sold) Delilah
1973 CL350- Lola?
Sweet, bubbly, Buddha - Say it ain't so!!!
Stuff for sale

charlevoix418

« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2009, 08:31:09 am »
To me, safety is more important that look.  I resume riding a bike in summer 2008 after 33 years.  Helmet is mandatory in Canada, a Sikh fight in court in Ontario, wanting to wear his turban instead of helmet for religious reason and he lost.  I bought a full face helmet that you can open (we say Modulaire in french...) because I wear glasses, Harley brand boots, a padded Cordura suit (pants & coat) and a pair of padded leather gloves.

My only problem was riding in slow traffic when it was very hot, other bikers were riding with Tshirt, shorts, open helmet, no gloves and Flip Flops...  I felt like coming from another planet!  Safety has a price when its hot.

The only thing I did about the look is that everything was black.  I put the old HM Wings logo on the helmet and the SOHC4 patch & pin on my jacket.

Raynald

Offline jaknight

• Hot Shot
  • ....Round Town Ride......
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2009, 08:48:52 am »
From my prior posting:

Less than 200 yards from my home a woman pulled out from a STOP sign and did a left turn in front of me (so what if I had the right of way on a straight road?).

Yes, I agree about the distance area of the majority of accidents.

While everyone must drive defensively and safely (my accident happened at about 35 MPH), ..........in relation to the causes and reasons, to me the bottom line is there are 2 kinds of motorcycle riders.

Those who have gone down and those who will go down.

I started riding when I was 12 years old.  Got my first ticket when I was 13 because I didn't have a driver's license.  I am now approaching 70.  The accident from the woman at the STOP sign happened 3 years ago.  First one that ended up with me being taken to a hospital.

Yes, Drive Safe........ but .......... Mike Hailwood, one of, if not the, best motorcycle racers in history died in a 25 MPH car accident.

~ ~ ~ jaknight ~ ~ ~
"THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD........
..........EXCEPT IN A SWORD FIGHT"

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2009, 09:02:52 am »
one thing about the heat-  mesh jackets can be pretty cool if you wear one of those cooler-vests underneath.  You soak them down first,then put them on, and from what I gather they work with evaporation.  I'd assume you'd have to go change and put on whatever clothes you were going to wear for work, but after a hot ride you'd have to wipe down/clean up anyway. 

Not a big deal for someone who used to be a bicyclist and have to shower before work, but it's osmething to get used to.
"Moderation in all things - especially moderation. Too much moderation is excessive. The occasional excess is all part of living the moderate life."
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline Sporkfly

• The frosty rider
  • Hot Shot
  • Mmm, Guinness
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2009, 09:28:38 am »
Either a full face flat black Fulmer or my 1975 Arai full face, black with red pin stripes and corduroy lining. Vintage Hondaline black vinyl jacket with large Honda patch down the sleeve or my brown leather jacket (which I use for welding as well). Heavy jeans or black Dickies and steel toe work boots. Armored black leather gloves.

I like wearing the Arai with the Hondaline jacket, they go together really well as they are both from the 70s and fit with the era of the bike. Both black, red and silver; however, I generally feel more at ease wearing the Fulmer as it seems like the safer choice in helmet.
1977 CB550K
1979 GL1000 - Current project, winter '09-'10
1979 CX500
1976 Suzuki GT500 Titan

eldar

« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2009, 10:04:03 am »
Kit, chaps only have one use. To make a persons butt look good. This of course relies on the basis that they have a nice butt to start with! So make sure you have a nice one before you get them chaps! ;D

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:33 am »
Kit, chaps only have one use. To make a persons butt look good. This of course relies on the basis that they have a nice butt to start with! So make sure you have a nice one before you get them chaps! ;D
I have a FANTASTIC butt, thank you. ;D

Butt back to the main subject,

has anyone seen any real benefit to having the gloves with carbon knuckles over regular plain-leather gloves, besides the tough-as-nails aesthetic? 
Also, I'm looking for a leather jacket like the Joe Rocket Alter-Ego.  That's what I have for late spring/summer/early fall, and it's good with both mesh and full textile, padding etc, but on cold days the wind goes RIGHT through it.  I like the way it snaps at the neck and fits, the sort of retro-race look to it, but I'm not finding anything that's a) for women or b) has CE armor in it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:25:43 am by Kit »
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline cafe750

• Hot Shot
  • If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2009, 02:33:51 pm »
I have a FANTASTIC butt, thank you. ;D

Butt back to the main subject,

has anyone seen any real benefit to having the gloves with carbon knuckles over regular plain-leather gloves, besides the tough-as-nails aesthetic? 
Also, I'm looking for a leather jacket like the Joe Rocket Alter-Ego.  That's what I have for late spring/summer/early fall, and it's good with both mesh and full textile, padding etc, but on cold days the wind goes RIGHT through it.  I like the way it snaps at the neck and fits, the sort of retro-race look to it, but I'm not finding anything that's a) for women or b) has CE armor in it.

I personally prefer hard armor on the knuckles of my gloves, for I have seen leather knuckles ground through. It takes a helluva lot longer to grind through a hard knuckled glove, than a standard leather one....
"It's an old motorcycle, the wind is supposed to blow your head around, it's supposed to leak oil, the brakes should suck, and every now and then, it should scare you so bad you piss your pants."

Roy, Washington

Offline MosquitoJones

• how do i ried biek? and how did I become an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2009, 03:54:57 pm »
Like Cafe750 said, to protect the hand from abrasion, also impact protection.  Them tiny bones in your hand are quite a bit softer than the pavement at 30mph.

I gave up on buying women's gear a long time ago, as it seems much more concerned with appearance than protection.  I just buy men's stuff in small sizes and find that I have a much bigger (not to mention cheaper) selection.
'82 CB650, 65 CP77 Superhawk in chunks

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2009, 04:05:00 pm »
Like Cafe750 said, to protect the hand from abrasion, also impact protection.  Them tiny bones in your hand are quite a bit softer than the pavement at 30mph.

I gave up on buying women's gear a long time ago, as it seems much more concerned with appearance than protection.  I just buy men's stuff in small sizes and find that I have a much bigger (not to mention cheaper) selection.

I would, and gloves are sometimes ok, but I have the problem tall lanky guys have.  If I get a guy's small or xs, it might fit my torso but the arms will be way too short.   If the arms are ok, the torso's like a parachute.  Men's gloves anticipate way thicker, shorter fingers. :P  Someone needs to make performance-oriented bike gear that doesn't look like it came out of a pink-and-frilly boutique. :P
"Do these rhinestones make my gloves look fat?"
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

fuzzybutt

« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2009, 05:49:11 pm »
this is my winter outfit, once it hits 70 i have a joe rocket mesh jacket. those and jeans and joe rocket boots.

Offline Sparked

• Hot Shot
  • Cheaper then therapy
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2009, 06:42:38 pm »
I have a black and red Icon Alliance full face helmet, and a heavy leather Honda jacket.  I still need gloves and boots but a running bike is slightly more important. I defiantly think it is important to dress for the crash, especially in a town where bikes are only on the road 6-7 months of the year and car people arn't used to sharing road space.
1972 CB350F
1982 CM450A
1961 Ford Falcon (time for four wheels)

billybobobrain

« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2009, 07:20:42 pm »

I used to race pocket bikes with some buddies. I Have the knuckle protection on my Joe Rocket gloves, I went down in a corner at about 20 mph and the knuckle gloves have about 1/8 of an inch shaved off were they hit the ground. The knuckles on these gloves are covered in leather. the asphalt cut through like it was nothing. If I had not been wearing the gloves it probably would have made it to the bone.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:37:41 am by billybobobrain »

Offline snowfighter2

• I really like Motorcycles, I guess that makes me an
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2009, 10:32:06 pm »
I wear a "vintage" looking dark brown leather jacket I found  at a department store. I plan on sewing some Honda patches on. Jeans and
thermal underwear when weather dictates. I have a pair of Harley boots, but you cant see the logo under the pants legs. I am currently borrowing a friend's full-face Shoei 700. When the weather gets warmer, I have an old Army Tankers Helmet (CVC) that I am rewiring to accommodate some MP3 speakers. Colorado doesn't have a helmet law, so my CVC helmet does not meet snell, dot or anybody Else's acronym for safety. It just looks different. Complete with Army issue sun,wind and dust goggles, and an Army issue arctic face mask, yeah it's not pretty, but it works ;D
Andrew
That which does not kill you, will give you some awesome scabs, which turn into some cool scars!
1975 CB750K5
1985 GS 450E
1981 CB650 Custom

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2009, 02:04:55 am »
Love them reinforced knuckles on the gloves, but you gotta get a size bigger than you usually wear as they tend to constrict clutch/brake finger movement.
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline Jakoba

• I'm far from a CB750
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2009, 04:16:53 am »
I ride with a full face helmet, cordura armored jacket, cordura padded pants, Road River Boulevard Boots(Long and Waterproof) and gauntlet style gloves and Bobster goggle/glasses.

Jako

Jako
Member #4500
--------------
"See the ditch, see the ditch, in the ditch"

Offline Caaveman82

• Zippo
  • Master
  • That'll do pig. That'll do.
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2009, 07:15:07 am »
I've got my river road leather jacket, with the euro style "collar", it's just a little strap that goes across the top and snaps on. I've got some leather gloves with the carbon fiber knuckle guards, because honestly without my hands i'm screwed. Full face, plain black helmet that has been pin stripped by my buddies wife. Jeans, of course, and what ever pair of boots I choose to wear. Usually the combat boots, look and feel more comfortable. All that "armor" is cool, but to be honest if you are hitting hard enough even the armor will not save you from a break.
Do not act as though you could kill time without injuring eternity. - Dave Thoreau

Offline Frankenkit

• Industrial Strength
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2009, 07:56:33 am »
I figure breaks are gonna be unavoidable- I just want to preserve the best skin graft sites. ;D
1973 CL350- Lola?
Stuff for sale

Offline OakBehringer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2009, 02:43:41 pm »
This thread inspired me to upgrade my helmet.

I had a cheap half helmet that was uncomfortable so I had gotten really lazy about wearing it. I also stored it in a big c-clamp between rides to make it narrower to fit my alien skull. Two days ago I started doing a lot of research and was surprised to learn that so much as dropping a helmet qualifies it as unsafe to wear (damage to the hard form lining the shell). I can't imagine how unsafe my helmet was- when I was even wearing it.

I read that Arai supposedly makes the longest/narrowest helmet so I decided to find a dealer and try some on. It's true. The Arai Profile is actually what I would regard as "comfortable" on my head. I've never in my life put on a comfortable helmet. So nice for me. The dealer had all Arai Helmets on sale for $100 off so I splurged and got it. Luckily they had one left in black, seems like most Arai helmets have "awesome" Monster Energy Drink (, etc) graphics on them.

I now have a full face helmet. I don't look as cool and retro, but I feel safer already.
1974 350 Four - SOLD
1966 CL160
1981 XS650
1972 CT70

Finished CB350F

HELLS BANANAS

charlevoix418

« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2009, 02:50:20 pm »
Thats funny:  I was reading a trip report on a Quebec web site about bikers that went to Bar Harbor Maine, it was wonderful, they were able to ride without helmet because it is not mandatory in that state...

Raynald

Offline turin39789

• Enthusiast
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2009, 03:51:06 pm »

low550

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2009, 09:16:42 pm »
man, go to a couple of biker rallys, or hard core biker runs as a spectator and see what suits you best. it's a little coolness+ safety that works for me. ;D

Ryan 550k

Offline tinyrobot

• Hot Shot
  • Mock it up before you Fock it up!
    • ChiVinMoto
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2009, 10:28:06 am »
I read that Arai supposedly makes the longest/narrowest helmet so I decided to find a dealer and try some on. It's true. The Arai Profile is actually what I would regard as "comfortable" on my head. I've never in my life put on a comfortable helmet. So nice for me. The dealer had all Arai Helmets on sale for $100 off so I splurged and got it. Luckily they had one left in black, seems like most Arai helmets have "awesome" Monster Energy Drink (, etc) graphics on them.

I now have a full face helmet. I don't look as cool and retro, but I feel safer already.

I love my profile as well, you will be very very happy with it.

I wear the same gear almost all the time: full face, jacket (full leather or vented joe rocket fabric) leather gloves with knuckle protection, boots, and jeans.  I really have been meaning to find some good leather pants, but being 6'3" and only 180lbs. they are a bit tricky to find one that fit.   :-[