Author Topic: What "Biker Look" are you?  (Read 55150 times)

Offline sangyo soichiro

• Tuck
  • Master
  • ☢ the atomic playboy ☠
Re: What "Biker Look" are you?
« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2010, 07:39:10 am »
Friends say I look like an extra in a Mad Max movie when I ride.

Not sure if that's a compliment or not...

If they're referring to the extra on the back, I hate to break it to you.... 

;D

1974 CB 750
1972 CB 750 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,57974.0.html
1971 CL 350 Scrambler
1966 Black Bomber
Too many others to name…
My cross country trip: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,138625.0.html

Offline Salad

« Reply #226 on: August 18, 2010, 10:19:02 am »
Bringing this thread back to get some opinions.
I've been a AGATT sort of guy but now I think I'm going overboard, if that's even possible.
What do you guys think of these pants and boots for street riding?  Longer day trips, mainly.  Highways and street.

I currently wear full face helmet, blk leather jacket, jeans and redwing boots.  I'm upgrading to a nicer jacket which got me thinking of the pants and boots.  Both pants and boots are Tourmaster.  Bike is a stock 400f.
I like the idea of armour for knees and hips but is this too much gear?  Am I paranoid?

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #227 on: August 18, 2010, 10:50:04 am »
Leather trousers with padded seat, hips and knees are a very good idea. Good boots as well. Its your skin protect it how you want ;)

Andy
Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2010, 11:16:00 am »
I prefer pull-over riding pants with armor/padding.  That way I can wear jeans, or even shorts sometimes, under them and then just pull them off when I get where I'm going. 

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2010, 01:06:08 pm »
How about the "back yard mechanic" look? Haven't graduated to the "rider" look yet!
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline gnarlycharlie4u

• Far from being an
  • Expert
  • two steps forward, two steps back :-/
« Reply #230 on: August 18, 2010, 01:12:47 pm »
How about the "back yard mechanic" look? Haven't graduated to the "rider" look yet!

hahaha!!!! THIS!!!

it's ok broseph... me too.
although I do have a couple of alpinestars jackets and a couple pairs of alpinestars boots I'm dying to break in.

Offline 77cafe750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2010, 02:36:38 pm »
i am the evil badarse biker with a soft side
live like an outlaw and love like an angel
crash
blacked out gauges rock
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67710.0

Offline brett_bike

• Hot Shot
  • '73 CB500 Four K2
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »
i am the evil badarse biker with a soft side

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

whyze426

« Reply #233 on: August 19, 2010, 08:57:48 pm »
hmmm...  dunno what look i am on the bike.  Usually wear my favorite cut-off red flannel shirt, dirty jeans  cuffed at the bottom and a pair of hi-top chuck taylors, fingerless gloves , and a black beat up full-face skid lid.  My whole riding apparely looks like it came from the same era as my bike haha

Offline 77cafe750

• Hot Shot
« Reply #234 on: August 19, 2010, 09:50:11 pm »
i am a nice guy most of the time just dont piss me off lol
live like an outlaw and love like an angel
crash
blacked out gauges rock
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67710.0

Offline eithr

• Thom Glick Illustration
« Reply #235 on: October 13, 2010, 11:42:53 am »
I decided to man up and purchased an armored jacket, so now, most of the time, I'm a biker who wears a black armored jacket, armored boots, usually 3/4 helmet but sometimes full face, leather gloves and jeans... and rides a 1976 Suzuki GT380 cafe racer. I need some patches for my jacket; it's a little too black and plain.
Eithr
1971 Honda CB450K
1972 Honda CB350F

Offline Anti-Johnny

• 75 cb750k
  • Hot Shot
  • Poser
« Reply #236 on: October 13, 2010, 12:58:21 pm »
I used to ride with a leather jacket, but I sold it when I sold my last bike. Now that I am riding again, I bought a full face modular and a textile jacket that kind of makes me look like a ridiculous version of batman.

After reading through this thread I am a little worried about only eer wearing jeans. I mostly use my bike for the 2 mile trip to school and back home at this point as I havent gotten her ready for the highway trips.

Is there anything you guys recommend for slip on and off pants with hip and knee replacement? Something I could take off and fold up into my backpack and head to class in. My budget is also pretty small, so if anyone has a large size laying around...
www.southaustinmotorcycles.com
 Come by and wrench and have a cold one while enjoying the wide array of rides and riders in Austin!

music

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2010, 03:29:44 pm »
Is there anything you guys recommend for slip on and off pants with hip and knee replacement? Something I could take off and fold up into my backpack and head to class in. My budget is also pretty small, so if anyone has a large size laying around...

It's cold up here, so I have been using Carhart bibs for leg protection.  In warmer weather where rain was expected, I use some over-sized nylon jogging pants.
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline greasy j

• lanesplitting
  • Expert
  • non serviam
    • Dimale Painting & Restoration
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2010, 11:16:21 am »
carhartt double knees are great for riding. not as heavy and bulky as leather but will protect you somewhat. I took mine in to fit like classic jeans and use knee armor from Bohn underneath sometimes and you can't tell. good protection for riding and fighting.

if you ride every day you need proper riding gear. if you ride to the bar on the weekend then you can prolly get away with the jeans and vest kind of thing.

I ride every time I go anywhere. I hate gettin in a car. so I worry about skin grafts and head injuries. the latter being more of a worry.

I think the non-DOT helmets, skid lids, are ridiculously inadequate and make you look like a mushroom man from super mario bros. the nazi ones are the worst. I don't get how anyone would want to risk mental retardation just to fit some fat-hippie-beardo harley guy image. moto shops that sell these things with fake dot stickers sold separate should be ashamed. with all the tanks(suv's) on the road these days you're just asking for it.

you can recover from most bodily injuries, but after serious head trauma you're not you anymore. just a drooling retard.

full face all black helmets with tinted black visors look cool, mean and mysterious, ("who is that masked man?") on any kind of bike. like an armored ninja or cyber punk assassin. on the other hand most guys in mushroom man helmets look pretty goofy. besides being an indication of a poser, wannabe type.

I might've pissed some guys off, but my intention is to make people think twice about protecting their heads. it really is important stuff in there.

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2010, 11:22:54 am »

Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Damfino

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2010, 11:24:20 am »

Your Message Here!

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Damfino

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2010, 11:26:18 am »

Your Message Here!

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX

Charles Manson

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
« Reply #242 on: November 14, 2010, 12:54:07 pm »
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline MidTNJasonF

• Enthusiast
« Reply #243 on: November 14, 2010, 02:11:29 pm »
I noticed a number of people making comments along the lines of "around town my half helmet and chuck taylor's but longer trips.... ect, ect."

I think about the environment I am riding in based on a few things I have been witness to over the years. Around town there are tons of things that get in the way of your nice easy slide when you come off a bike. You know things like curbs, mailboxes, signs, bus stop benches, poles, and parked cars. After seeing someone slide face first into a small curb when they were just out for a short errand in their 3/4 helmet makes me wonder why anyone would wear less than a full face quality helmet. He was traveling in the 25 to 35mph range and simply hit a slick oily spot in the middle of his left hand turn. He slid just a few feet into the curb and promptly removed most of his face from the nose down.

I have also had to carry a friend to the hospital from a simple driveway drop when maneuvering his bike out of the garage for a ride. His high top vans like skate shoes did absolutely nothing to keep is ankle from shattering when the bike fell on it.

Sure riding a bike is inherently more dangerous than a lot of other activities and you could be in complete power ranger race gear and still die from a bad wreck but there are so many little things that can be avoided with proper gear. I mean a pair of heavy riding boots could have kept my friend from the pain of surgery, boots/cast, crutches, and missed work. It could have prevented the frequent pain he has and probably will have in the ankle for years and decades to come. I did not know the guy with the missing lower jaw personally but I can bet the days on a feeding tube and drinking through straws did not have nearly the cool factor that his open face helmet and sunglasses had when he was out for his short ride. Imagine being out of work for an extended time because you dropped your bike in a parking lot.

In my opinion it is more important to dress for impact protection and bone structure protection when you are around town in populated or otherwise busy areas than it is to dress for slides or abrasion resistance. When you are out on the back roads carving corners or cruising the open road slide protection rises in importance.

I commute on my bike so commute rides and touring rides have me in my tour geek garb. Joe Rocket 3/4 Length waterproof Touring Jacket with armor and an integrated back protector. Joe Rocket or Fieldsheer riding pants with hip and knee armor.  Alpinestars Ridge Waterproof boots that are mid height. I do also have a Fieldsheer standard length textile jacket I wear from time to time as well.

When I am out for corner carving fun rides I have have a Joe Rocket leather race suit with full armor and an Alpinestars back protector. I use Alpinestar S-MX 5 race boots. I also use this at the track. I have a couple full face helmets and right now the HJC CL-15 gets the most use since I smashed up my Shoei RF-1000 in a crash a while back. I am thinking of picking up a new RF-1100 in Hi-Viz Yellow soon. I have several sets of gloves that I change out for different weather needs from shorter armored and vented gloves to full gauntlet leather winter gloves.

I have had several minor little wrecks or drops and have had little to no injury beyond a sore shoulder and a bit of a skin rash on a knee. One of my slides was enough to burn holes through the leather in the elbow, shoulder, and the palm of the hand.
1972 Honda CB450
1973 Honda CB350
1996 Suzuki GSF600N
1996 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline shizzomynizzo

• Hot Shot
  • It's 5 o'clock somewhere
« Reply #244 on: November 14, 2010, 05:31:14 pm »
I agree with the above comments, always wear full length boots and leather to protect from rash!

;D

1974 CB550
1985 XLX Last of the IH
2001 Street Glide

Offline benjamin550

• Enthusiast
« Reply #245 on: November 14, 2010, 06:54:55 pm »
Midtnjasonf-

Thanks for the honest and bunt remarks. I have not purchased a helmet yet because the bike I am working on will be my first motorcycle and I haven't quite reached the riding phase of the resto yet. Admittedly with my personal "style," open face+sunglasses would fit my look. After reading your post I will absolutely be buying a full face helmet. I like my lower jaw and would prefer it stay attached. Again, thanks.

kohl

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #246 on: November 14, 2010, 06:58:37 pm »
I feel very safe in this!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Brandotheamazing

• Enthusiast
« Reply #247 on: November 14, 2010, 07:57:24 pm »
i either wear a banana suit, or a chicken suit.
-Brendan

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #248 on: November 14, 2010, 08:11:28 pm »
Here's Brando!

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MidTNJasonF

• Enthusiast
« Reply #249 on: November 14, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »
Midtnjasonf-

Thanks for the honest and bunt remarks. I have not purchased a helmet yet because the bike I am working on will be my first motorcycle and I haven't quite reached the riding phase of the resto yet. Admittedly with my personal "style," open face+sunglasses would fit my look. After reading your post I will absolutely be buying a full face helmet. I like my lower jaw and would prefer it stay attached. Again, thanks.

kohl

Glad to hear it.

Also of note many half helmeted riders can be seen on big touring bikes with lots of wind and weather protection. Our vintage bikes, cafe bikes, and sporty standards do not have all that great wind protection. Rocks, bugs, and even rain can really sting when they hit you while riding a naked bike. I like to eat up the miles so I may ride more than some on this site but I have had bird crap on my face shield, rock chips in my helmet, more bugs splattered on my face shield than I can count, and a few very painful hits to the hands and neck. To me a full face helmet just makes riding more comfortable. I do not have to worry about getting hit with a pebble kicked up by an 18 wheeler tire.
1972 Honda CB450
1973 Honda CB350
1996 Suzuki GSF600N
1996 Suzuki GSF600S