Author Topic: My project thus far. "Elsa"  (Read 81576 times)

Offline Inkscars

• grumpiness comparable to an
  • Old Timer
  • I have a box. I'm used to being ignored.
Re: My project thus far. "Elsa"
« Reply #300 on: April 20, 2009, 01:43:27 pm »
Marti, You're sooo funny, as usual.
Beer was delicious, thank you!
I bet the mirror will make it longer
The wheel is nylon, even at full throttle it didn't hurt. Yes. I hit myself.  :D
And who the hell named us; click-click-click-click-click-click

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
  • 4 out of 3 people have a problem with fractions
« Reply #301 on: April 20, 2009, 06:10:16 pm »
I found some spray aircraft stripper from rustoleum for $6 a can.  Just did my caliper and it worked great.

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #302 on: April 20, 2009, 09:35:42 pm »
We got a pretty nice sized can of aircraft stripper at Napa for a decent price. We've used it on a few things and it works great. Just don't get it near any paint or coated surface you want to keep and use it in a very well ventilated area. It works great on getting the old yellowing glaze off of forks and other aluminum type parts.

Bike seat is looking good, Ink. I can't wait to see what you end up with there.  8)
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

billybobobrain

« Reply #303 on: April 20, 2009, 10:44:48 pm »
"Got a problem with it? Suck it"
I love this thread! ;D

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #304 on: April 21, 2009, 05:21:04 am »
I found some spray aircraft stripper from rustoleum for $6 a can.  Just did my caliper and it worked great.

That's effing amazing. I'll use that on my caliper!
SHould I just scuff up my side covers and paint? I mean, I can't get the paint off the plastic without effin it up can i???

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
« Reply #305 on: April 21, 2009, 05:25:10 am »

That's effing amazing. I'll use that on my caliper!
SHould I just scuff up my side covers and paint? I mean, I can't get the paint off the plastic without effin it up can i???

Don't use that aircraft stripper on plastic.  Probably a light sand will work on the covers.  Make sure you get the decals off or you might see lines through the new paint.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:30:14 am by OldRusty »

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #306 on: April 21, 2009, 05:37:10 am »
Thanks. Ok, another question than Obi-wan, Both of the decals on my sidecovers are hanging on by one tab. What would you recommend to re-adhere them to my side covers?
I won't use aircraft stripper on plastic.  :D

:D billy. That's why you guys keep coming back.

Thanks mickey, at least I know it'll hold it's shape now. lol. I'm off all day tomorrow and it's supposed to be like 70  :o
I'm not leaving the garage for anything cept more supplies and going pee. It'll be me, the IPOD on shuffle and a grinder.
Shhhhh............You don't have to say anything. I already know. It sounds like heaven, and it is. :-*

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #307 on: April 21, 2009, 05:41:45 am »
Next time, pour the excess gas into a car.  Environmental issues aside, that stuff is too expensive to waste these day.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline RM81

• Enthusiast
« Reply #308 on: April 21, 2009, 05:44:21 am »
Thanks. Ok, another question than Obi-wan, Both of the decals on my sidecovers are hanging on by one tab. What would you recommend to re-adhere them to my side covers?

Are they decals or badges?  If they're badges, I've heard of people using industrial strenght double sided tape, but I don't have any first hand experience with it.  Not sure how it would hold up to the elements/time.  There may be an epoxy you can use, but it would probably be more permanent.  Someone else will chime in with the best way.  I'm no Obi-wan.  I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to know better.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:46:42 am by OldRusty »

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #309 on: April 21, 2009, 05:45:25 am »
If it was alot I wouldn't have done it at all. I'm cheap. Hence the lack of aircraft stripper. Most of the gas went between a gallon milk jug, a half gallon of vodka, 1 liter of tonic, and 2 bottles of beer.
I'm far from green, but I AM a tightass.

EDIT: They are badges, "750 FOUR" I found double-sided tape under one of my tank badges, and it was a little tough to get off, i was impressed.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:47:03 am by Inkscars »

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
« Reply #310 on: April 21, 2009, 05:48:55 am »
3M makes double-sided tape that is used to stick trim and such onto cars, should work well for side cover badges, but may make them stick out a bit as it's a foam based tape.

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #311 on: April 21, 2009, 08:22:20 am »
EDIT: They are badges, "750 FOUR" I found double-sided tape under one of my tank badges, and it was a little tough to get off, i was impressed.

That's good to hear. I used the 3M auto trim tape on my badges a couple weeks ago and was a little worried they'd end up popping off eventually but tried to wiggle them around last week and they're like rocks now. So, uh, yeah. 3M auto trim. Surprisingly good stuff.

Offline MickeyX

• Master
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2009, 09:52:21 am »
Yup, 3M tape is good. Kit used it on her old tank when they stripped the threads on the holes clean and we couldn't remount the emblems. Still on there solid after almost a year. Get 3M, don't go cheap on that one. It's worth the few extra pennies.
1969 CL350 Scrambler... almost done!!! Well, until something else goes wrong. :)
2006 HD 883 Sportster, stock. No use changing it, it's still gonna be a Harley.

Offline Johnny5

• Master
    • CB350F build thread
« Reply #313 on: April 21, 2009, 11:07:42 am »
For painting the sidecovers, I just hit them with 500 grit paper, reprimed, wetsanded that and then hit them with paint. They turned out great.

www.kerosenecycles.com
1971 CB350
1973 CB350F
2006 Harley Springer Classic

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #314 on: April 22, 2009, 08:06:43 am »
seat is lookin sweet Ink ... just to chime in on the 3M tape ,  i got some from goon for that plate he made me. now remember my sidecovers are fabric ....  it's unreal how well that tape holds

Offline goon 1492

• Sucka Repellant
  • Master
  • RIGHT ON TO THE REAL AND DEATH TO THE FAKERS
« Reply #315 on: April 22, 2009, 09:49:09 am »
seat is lookin sweet Ink ... just to chime in on the 3M tape ,  i got some from goon for that plate he made me. now remember my sidecovers are fabric ....  it's unreal how well that tape holds
You said it brother, that is the automotive grade trim tape, not foam based but rubber based (its about 1/16" thick) and it will almost pull skin off if you get it stuck on you good enough. Crazy stuff, we use it on alot of sign applications, they even have a high temp type for sticking logos on hot engines...
It has the red plastic backer on it when lookin for it.
We are not humans going thru a spiritual experience...
We are spirits going thru a human experience....

Offline ev0lve

• Master
« Reply #316 on: April 22, 2009, 09:43:10 pm »
What would you all use to get it to let loose if you had to? Some solvent? Anything that wouldn't take up the paint as well or just stick a screwdriver in there and pry it loose?

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2009, 06:21:25 am »
I used a screwdriver.  ;D Ok. time for updates! this may take a while. There should be at least 45 pics, so please refrain from posting while I'm updating, because for some reason it effs up my cookies and deletes everything I typed.  :'(
I'll try and be quick!

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #318 on: April 23, 2009, 07:00:25 am »
Yesterday, I woke up at 7 am. Not because I wanted to, but because the dog got in the bed. I rolled around for a while. Got up, let the dog out, fed and watered him. went to the bathroom. Went and laid back down. Woke up again at 8:30 and just said, "#$%* it" and got up.
I knew I needed supplies, but I also knew I had negative 3 dollars in my bank account.
So, I work at a dealership, we have accounts with parts stores. I call my parts dept, explain the situation and he gives me a P.O. I loaded the dog up and went to the parts store.
I HATE going there. The kids don't know anything, and they won't leave you alone either.
They never recognize me when I come in, even though they see me often. I walk in, "Hey, welcome to NAPA." I quickly step 2 rows to my right and duck into the paint/body section. I begin perusing their selection. After looking at the 6 different primers they have in the color I want, a awkward blonde girl walks up, "Hi, can I help you find something?" Uh, no, I think I got it. "Well let me know." Then I made the second biggest mistake of the day. " Can I use this one for metal and plastic?" Obviously, she has no idea, but decides to try and talk her way around it. "I'm pretty sure all of our primers can be used for metal and plastic, but what kind of paint are you going to use?" Jesus H Christ lady. Go get me the guy who has worked here the longest.  ::)
I patiently listened to her tell me I needed to use a high heat ceramic paint because the gas tank gets "real hot" and finally I just threw her under the bus, "Can I use laquer base with acrylic?" I smiled. She went to get another guy. I hear them bustling around 4 rows over and I'm snickering to myself. I grab what I need and then start to walk off and he comes around the corner. "Oh it's you, how's that bike coming along?" Great. I mumbled. He then tries to talk me into a bunch of #$%*, talk to me about where I hang out at and how much my chest piece hurt. At this point I've wasted nearly 40 minutes in here and Elsa's waiting on me!
I proceed to check out, give him my P.O. and then he has to talk to me about the parts guys at my work for 10 more minutes. "Alright man, I gotta run, take it easy!" and I bail. My dog it sleeping with his head on my steering wheel when i get back.
I go to work to drop off the reciept in street clothes, which always weirds people out when it gets warm out, because they go from winter clothes to being able to see my ink.
I grab my ipod, and a slim fast bar out of my desk. Borrow 5 bucks from the dude who sits next to me and head to harbor freight. I was behind a mid-eastern fella that was doing the usual, "You give me discount, eh?" I'm standing there trying to be positive, but I'm really about to #$%*ing snap. Finally a less than capable cashier droid calls me over, "Oh, I didn't see you, I can check you out." I get over there with my nylon wheel and try and cheer myself up. " I'm not like that."
She gives me a weird look "$4.37" I slap my borrowed 5 down on the counter and smile from ear to ear. At this point I have 2 people looking at me like I'm wearing a bullet proof vest with an bite of cactus hanging out of my mouth and a fork in my hand. "THANKS!" and i run out the door like I stole it after getting my change and reciept. Give the slack jaws something to talk about for the rest of the day. I get back to the car and the dog is not amused.
Speed back to the house and open the garage to find my holy grail. Sun light beaming in reflecting of the 3 shiny bits on her. It was beautiful. So, I drag everything out to the opening of the garage and get all my supplies and parts I'll be working on.
Both of my sidecovers where "distressed to say the least.

A few supplies I went rougher on the paper, 1 because that's what I had, 2 some of the scratches were pretty deep.

WARNING: Do not use the duplicolor adhesion promoter on paint. I was gonna strangle the kid at napa.

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #319 on: April 23, 2009, 07:17:30 am »
Then I get to it on the side covers.
Pull the lock washers that remain off the emblems, not in terrible shape.

After sanding and priming and sanding and priming

Then I found a couple cracks.

Some JB plastic weld for support, I'll bondo tonight or tomorrow night.

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #320 on: April 23, 2009, 07:31:36 am »
Lunch time I had a little snack, as working on this project keeps me busy enough to survive off of hopes and dreams alone.  ;D
Some comic relief

Broken sidecover

Some music relief THANKS SHUFFLE !

Then I ate a fistful of sunflower seeds, and headed to the gym. I came back, and got to work on the tank. I stripped the rest of the paint off first and laid some bondo for the 2 dents I had.

With the sun out to speed things along, I got 3 layers done before I knew it.

Lots of sanding, my hands are hurting, my dog....as usual. Is not impressed, but he is shocked to see me come out of crouching position.

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #321 on: April 23, 2009, 07:38:41 am »
At this point I'm getting upset because to outsides of the dent, the bondo is holding up better than the bondo it the dent itself. So one more and more carefully sanded.

Ok! Time for primer!

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline Inkscars

• Old Timer
« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2009, 07:51:54 am »
Second coat

I see some high and some low spots, so I'm going to have to lay some more bondo and sand and prime one more time

Alright, so, I decide, I still have enough time to do my caliper too. Hell it's the little details right?

I was gonna leave 'em bare, but i couldn't get all the old crud off.

Ok well, since I was busy doing all the tank and side covers and caliper and such, I didn't get to work on my seat, but, here i took a couple pics, so you believe it's still a bike.

ENJOY! OK, FEEL FREE TO POST!

81 Hardly Davisson

Offline Spikeybike

• when planting C4 at your enemy's base make sure you don't use a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • member #1150
« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2009, 07:56:34 am »
the hardest part of laying bondo is knowing when to stop sanding...  lookin real smooth Ink

Offline 78CB750CAFE

• I'm not really an
  • Expert
  • Ride, wrench, repeat.
    • Drewfus Nation, my podcast, bicycle collection, blog etc
« Reply #324 on: April 23, 2009, 08:02:13 am »
comin' along nicely..
Hey, did you use standard spray paint on the caliper? Be really careful when bleeding if you did, dot3 eats that #$%* up like nobody's business. DupliColor makes a good caliper paint that is pretty tough, ya may want to re-do it now that you still have it apart.
"I believe in the bodies, I believe in the blood, I believe in salt around the rim of the glass because it makes us thirsty, and when we drink, then we all fall in love"
-212 Margarita by The Hold Steady
Build thread:http://forums.sohc