Author Topic: wanted: pics of dunstall rear sets  (Read 3564 times)

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
wanted: pics of dunstall rear sets
« on: March 04, 2009, 08:10:44 pm »
does anybody have any nice close-up pictures of dunstall rear sets for cb750?.......i would like to fab something similar
                                                                                   thanks......
Funny thing about regret is...... its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

Offline Industrial Cafe

• Like a well oiled
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • [Brian] I've got something to say about that!
    • Undead Asphalt
Re: wanted: pics of dunstall rear sets
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:24:08 pm »
everything I say is pure speculation and
I have no idea what I'm talking about  ._.

Marla              .:71CB750:.CAFE

Offline 750goes

• Master
  • it will live
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:12:35 pm »
If you are keen to buy some - try these on ebay in australia - could be a cheaper alternative ??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330312262460

:)

Superbiker_uk

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:55:52 am »
The ones in my gallery pics are of the early style with larger back plates (early 70's)

I changed these to the later style (mid 70's) and they are better. I only have pictures of these mounted:

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:12:07 pm »
damn those are sexy  :o ....
                     thanks superbiker
     does the r/h side interfere with the kick starter?
                 would consider buying some if they were nice like those........anybody?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 04:25:26 pm by nokrome »
Funny thing about regret is...... its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done.

Offline Red750K1

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 05:24:17 pm »
Ya ya . . I know I'm dragging tail getting pics of those rear-sets for you.  The combo of buisy work and currently lacking a digital camera is lagging my forum posts/pictures.
FYI, they are identical to the ones mounted on the bike, the "later" ones. They have a have the smaller size mounting brackets that wrap around the frame. They aren't polished but still in very nice shape.   
anywho,

cheers!

Superbiker_uk

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:06:40 pm »
does the r/h side interfere with the kick starter?

Yes it does with the standard kick start I had on my K2 - I got some advice off another member here and put a later model kick start on. See the first post from DME on this thread => http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=12003.0

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 05:56:54 pm »
thanks superbiker, thats a great tip!
        so how much clearance do you actually get with with the f model kicker?

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
Re: wanted: pics of dunstall rear sets.......update!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 06:16:11 pm »
this is what i came up with, the shift and brake levers along with the linkage parts are original dunstall pieces that i got off ebay, the rubbers are bmw reproductions from ebay, the mounting plates, mounting blocks and foot pegs i made myself
     thanks to everyone that posted pics

Superbiker_uk

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 11:58:57 pm »
Nice job - those look fantastic - bet you are very pleased with your hard work!

Offline Celco

• Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 03:25:59 am »
nokrome, you got me wanting to custom up some rearsets now. 

What are the parts called that have the shifter/brake splines on them?  Is there anywhere you can just buy the splined lever and fab my own turnbuckle linkage?  Or is that something that would have to be modded from a old shifter arm.

srook

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 07:27:30 am »
Those look great nokrome!  One issue you may have is the brake lever's proximity to the splined shaft.  If you look at Superbiker's last picture of the brake side you will see he has actually sawed off the end of the brake spline.  The Dunstall piece is very slim.  The reason for this is that the shaft is almost on the same plane as the pedal and when you push down with your foot there is a chance you will be pushing on the shaft as well as the pedal = no rear brake.  Your set up has a rather thick brake attatchment that spans the legnth of the splines.  You may want to modify that.  Something to consider.
Scott

Offline nokrome

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 08:10:57 am »
nokrome, you got me wanting to custom up some rearsets now. 

What are the parts called that have the shifter/brake splines on them?  Is there anywhere you can just buy the splined lever and fab my own turnbuckle linkage?  Or is that something that would have to be modded from a old shifter arm.
   you can buy the splined pieces (dont know the official name) but they are hard to find, the one on my shifter side is an original dunstall piece, the brake side is just an old stock brake lever with the arm cut off and a smaller one welded on
Those look great nokrome!  One issue you may have is the brake lever's proximity to the splined shaft.  If you look at Superbiker's last picture of the brake side you will see he has actually sawed off the end of the brake spline.  The Dunstall piece is very slim.  The reason for this is that the shaft is almost on the same plane as the pedal and when you push down with your foot there is a chance you will be pushing on the shaft as well as the pedal = no rear brake.  Your set up has a rather thick brake attatchment that spans the legnth of the splines.  You may want to modify that.  Something to consider.
Scott
   thanks for the heads-up, i have everything put together and working and didnt notice any clearance issues, when i go back to the shop ill double check