Author Topic: OK only 2 cyl but still sohc...  (Read 2475 times)

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
OK only 2 cyl but still sohc...
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:11:16 pm »
The newest addition to the Honda cave...

1975 CB200. 1500 1 owner miles. All the books and all the correct parts.

From the looks of the tank and other bits it should only be a carb cleaning away from terrorizing the 'hood.

Sorry for the bad cell phone shot, better ones to follow.

I got rid of my Aerostar and purchased a fullsize GMC Savana van holy crap is it big!

13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
Re: OK only 2 cyl but still sohc...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:01:57 pm »
Out of the van and into the shop for a little carb cleaning and batery replacement.

They really are pretty neat looking bikes.
Super simple even the front caliper is cable operated no master to clean!!!

It is a little dirty but underneath the grime is a pretty decent little machine.

seat, is nice too.

Pretty pleased with the condition of the tank too.

Taking the seat off to ease removal of the tank.

Tank and carbs off.

Pretty dirty under there but tonight is just about getting it running...

So simple compared to any of the multi cyl bikes...

Sory I had a couple of carb shots but I some how didn't save them... Just imagine a clean carb...

I threw it back together, pushed the starter button twice and she fired right up it even idles under 1K. Funny how smooth and quiet a twin can be when it has such low miles.
The oil has only been changed 4 times since 1975...lol I will be giving it it's 5th!

Everything works...Well it does now. I think the previous owner parked it because I found out right after starting it that it has a mysterious short that kills EVERYTHING but didn't blow the fuse. Turns out there was a loose male spade in the multi-connector for the ignition switch. I got lucky and found it right away. plugged it back in and vroom we were off. Yes, I checked the oil and air in the tires (which are original).

So I took it out for a 10 mile rip around the city. I forgot how charming small torquey bikes are. This thing runs like a watch, OK a vibrating watch but pretty smooth for a paralell twin. It pulls well and I hit an indicated 60 once...Yes I have no idea how fast that really was.

So here is how it looks after being ridden. LOL.

I was just going to turn it but I like it enough that I think I will go through it like project 13 and get it all back to "1975". Yeah baby!

From picking it up to running (including charging the new battery) in 4 hours! Not bad for a bike that hasn't seen the road since 2005.

Next will be a complete once-over to make sure everything is adjusted properly and a good old fashioned detailing.

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:36:52 pm »
What a cool find! Wish I had your troubleshooting skills when it comes to electrical!

Offline rickmoore24

• Be led by your dreams, not pushed by your problems.
  • Hot Shot
  • I <3 SOHC4's
    • Rosenbard Films
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:07:31 pm »
Super cool bike and an even better find! It amazes me at some of the bikes the forum member come up with, this one is so cherry considering how old it is. Good stuff!  :)
1972 CB750 K2 (Daily Runner)
1972 CB750 K2 (Sold)
1973 CB750 K3 (Hardtail 836cc)
1998 CBR F3 - R.I.P., went down on the 101 in Calabasas, Ca.
1995 EG6

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:39:32 pm »
I just "manage" my luck...lol. Lots of people know I like old bikes and they let me know when they see one for sale.

I did get lucky with the electrical problem. But after a few years of learning the hard way solutions just come to mind and you get lucky and look in the more logical places first rather than last...

I have to admit that riding a bike like this with 1500 miles is pretty neat you really get a sense of why Honda's were so popular. The CB200 is a super friendly bike that makes even experienced guys like me smile. I had one a while back and I hated the cable operated disc, this one works perfectly and it stops perfectly fine for its intended speed and purpose.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:50:26 pm »
That's a really nice CB200, and it's not like I'm a fan or anything.  It's even more amazing you keep finding these bikes and you live in Minnesota.  Home of the Salt Car.  The last couple show up looking like Arizona survivors.  Wow.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:17:06 am »
All it takes is a pot of coffee and way to many hours on CL looking for "stuff"...!

Glad you like 'em though that is half the fun of finding stuff and letting people see it.